Thread: Supps for Hypertension??

Supps for Hypertension??

Have a relative that has hypertension and she wants to control it with diet, exercise, and otc supps instead of meds. Any good otc supps out there? Was thinking about the otc diuretics (water pills), but didn't know if they were any good. Suggestions???
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Re: Supps for Hypertension??

This should be a popular thread given the interest that most on this board probably have in controlling high blood pressure.

V.I.P.

What kind of numbers are we talking? I have not found anything natural that will drop it more than 5 or so points at best reliably. So if he is way high, meds may be his best bet.

Of course if he is overweight and out of shape, then proper diet for high blood pressure and exercise may be all he needs but I assume you already know that and looking for other options.

Ltyson

She said 140/80. That's what I more-or-less told her... see if you can get it down with proper diet & exercise and go from there. She was just curious if there was an OTC alternative instead of meds.
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

V.I.P.

Ok those are not bad numbers overall. What you have told her is right. Have her Google high blood pressure diet and there are some good ones, but overall with your knowledge, having her get in better shape by training and cleaning up her diet will be perfect in most cases at those numbers.

There has been a change in recent years with how the medical community rates blood pressure. Used to be everyone wanted 120/70, but they have found that driving numbers to low for some people can cause other issues so they tend not to drive them so low anymore.

There are some good combo supplements targeted towards lowering blood pressure, vitamin shoppe or gnc, will have them displayed for sure. But as mentioned for the cost, the results are marginal at best and require continued use and of course cost.

Would much rather have her save her money, spend it on quality foods to clean up her diet, add in the exercise and she will drop below 140 and feel great.

There are so many variables that drive blood pressure that making general recommendations may or may not be right for her case, but best guess without full workup and further information.

Ltyson

Quote Originally Posted by ltyson View Post
    Ok those are not bad numbers overall. What you have told her is right. Have her Google high blood pressure diet and there are some good ones, but overall with your knowledge, having her get in better shape by training and cleaning up her diet will be perfect in most cases at those numbers.

There has been a change in recent years with how the medical community rates blood pressure. Used to be everyone wanted 120/70, but they have found that driving numbers to low for some people can cause other issues so they tend not to drive them so low anymore.

There are some good combo supplements targeted towards lowering blood pressure, vitamin shoppe or gnc, will have them displayed for sure. But as mentioned for the cost, the results are marginal at best and require continued use and of course cost.

Would much rather have her save her money, spend it on quality foods to clean up her diet, add in the exercise and she will drop below 140 and feel great.

There are so many variables that drive blood pressure that making general recommendations may or may not be right for her case, but best guess without full workup and further information.

Ltyson
    Thanks brother, I appreciate the info & the post.

I was just reading some info on this and thought of your thread here. Read up on this study one beet juice for high BP
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288229.php
    "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."

Quote Originally Posted by baby1 View Post
    I was just reading some info on this and thought of your thread here. Read up on this study one beet juice for high BP
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288229.php
    Thank you baby1!