Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Demonizing of Carbs

Sherk
    Great read. Carbs a good as long as they're the right ones. Carbs and fats are misunderstood nutrients.

Add: that's weird that my post just came through. I posted in this thread this morning around 8
    Last edited by Sherk; 07-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
    Great read. Carbs a good as long as they're the right ones. Carbs and fats are misunderstood nutrients.

Add: that's weird that my post just came through. I posted in this thread this morning around 8
    That is weird. I agree that there are huge differences in types of carbs and fats.
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayca View Post
    FitGuru, I'm not sure I understand the "hold" concept of nutrients we eat. Are you saying that it slows our digestion? Because I would think that we want those nutrients to be parsed out in a "time-released" fashion. Also, the whole insulin spike thing makes me mental because aren't we supposed to spike? I mean, isn't that the way the body's set up? Isn't it just a problem if you are pre-diabetic (or diabetic) or is it really that pertinent to fat loss or BF maintenance? To spike or not to spike. That is the question. LOL...And if we eat a "balanced" meal, i.e., protein, fat and carb (in proper ratios) (starch, I mean in this case), doesn't that slow down the "spike" so that we're digesting
    on an even-keel? I just get lost with all of it, sometimes.
    Yes when food combining proper macros insulin spike changes a lot from what the glycemic index for individual foods eaten ala carte would indicate.

What he means by hold is spiking insulin pre and post workout has immense nutrient shuttling. As also stated this is why pro bb use insulin. It's the most anabolic substance we can use. by eating high glycemic carbs post workout and shuttling nutrients u switch the post workout from a catabolic to an anabolic state and the muscle building repair process begins.

Re: The Demonizing of Carbs

Exactly

There are many men who are for ex 5'11, 178 lbs. They want to get bigger & increase their lifts but they are afraid to eat carbs after 8pm (this is merely an example) because they will "get fat". Simple carbs such as fruit/fruit juices & complex carbs such as pasta & rice are necessary. You cannot eat like a bird & expect to be big/strong as a bear.

When I was getting ready for my last show, I was taking in 4200 calories and no carbs. When I say no carbs I mean all that weren't in greens and whey protein drinks!! 4200 cals is way from eating like a bird and I was 2.75% bf on stage!!

V.I.P.

Have to chime in here. What about the whole paleo movement? Break it down, some of these carbs are not edible in their natural form...do you look at a field of wheat and say "yum!"? Not edible without processing. How can this be a healthy food source? Disregard carb, fat, protein ratios. I'm not trying to be contrarian. I am truly interested in how we resolve these discrepancies in the dietary needs for the guys in this forum.

Guys like Jaime Lewis and others like him and before fucking crush weight following a diet that keeps a steady eye on carbs. I'm not even close to the caliber but I can look at my belly and know when I've been eating more carbs than usual. I can eat 3000 calories in fat and protein and look awesome compared to the same calories in fat/protien/carbs Gary Taubes has covered the science of carbs and I just don't see that we need as much as we have been lead to believe.
    Last edited by ozzie90; 07-19-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Do you look at a cow and say yum?

The topic is the incorrect demonizing of carbs, not that everyone has to eat carbs. Although athletes competing at high intensity levels perform better w adequate carb intake.

Many people find great health and good success in bbing w and w/o carbs. Many very good bbers eat plenty of carbs, many don't.
    It's a preference IMO.
    Credentials:

V.I.P.

The difference is I could kill a cow or most any animal and eat it to survive without getting sick. Try eating wheat, potatoes, soy, rice, oats raw without getting sick. Again, forget that they are "carbs" but actually consider the source. None of those would even be edible without man made processing.

Everyone has evolved to handle each food differently which is totally in line with your argument. I just don't think it's as simple as carb or no carb.
    Last edited by ozzie90; 07-19-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie90 View Post
    The difference is I could kill a cow or most any animal and eat it to survive without getting sick. Try eating wheat, potatoes, soy, rice, oats raw without getting sick. Again, forget that they are "carbs" but actually consider the source. None of those would even be edible without man made processing.
    Ive eaten plenty of raw potatoes. I don't really understand your point. Eating raw chicken may give you salmonella poisoning too.
    Just because something requires some processing does not mean we shouldn't eat it. Beans are one of the most nutritious foods we can eat and they have to be cooked.
    Credentials: