Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Demonizing of Carbs

I don't think it's as simple as carb or no carb either. the human body has evolved to handle all sorts of diets w varying macronutrients portions, except for the American diet.
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM

V.I.P.

Re: The Demonizing of Carbs

We'll just have to disagree. Beans are one of the most inflammatory foods you can eat. There are so many other foods that give you just as much nutrition without messing up your gut. You are one of those guys that can eat tons of carbs simple or complex and do very well. The fact is you are not only lucky but you are in the minority. There are guys on this site, me included that wish we processed carbs as well as you.
    Last edited by ozzie90; 07-19-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie90 View Post
    We'll just have to disagree. Beans are one of the most inflammatory foods you can eat. There are so many other foods that give you just as much nutrition without messing up your gut. You are one of those guys that can eat tons of carbs simple or complex and do very well. The fact is you are not only lucky but you are in the minority. There are guys on this site, me included that wish we processed carbs as well as you do.
    Can you provide any science suggesting that beans are inflammatory?
    Beans are high in fiber, protein, and are usually at the top of the scale for antioxidants.
    I understand that some people do well w less carbs, but that in no way suggests that there is something wrong w foods like fruit, legumes, and whole grains. In fact there are mountains of evidence that people that eat these foods regularly are very healthy.
    Credentials:

V.I.P.

I've already spent too much time on this but google the paleo diet by Loren cordain. He's one of the grandfathers but there are so many others after. Tons of research. It makes so much sense it's not even funny. There are so many foods we've been told are "healthy" but we've just been lied to for the past 60 years. Seriously, if you are interested in seeing the reason behind my argument, start there and work your way to Gary Taubes. It's all backed by common sense and science. I'm not trying to shit on your position but am asking you to look at it from a much different angle.

Im just trying to reconcile the food science with my new found interest in pharma science

What Ozzie said, carbs are non essential for human life. If all you had was carbs you'd die. Reason being your body can convert protein into carbs(ketones).. When I FINALLY explain this to my clients all of a sudden their not dragging ass anymore.

First, just because a person says it, does not make it true.

Secondly, just because we can survive w/o carbs does not mean that we should eat that way. We can survive w/o meat too, in fact a huge percentage of humans do and are very healthy. That's a silly argument and very unscientific.

To say that the foods w carbs are unhealthy is to ignore decades of nutrition research. Are you really suggesting that berries and oats are unhealthy?

Can you provide any bit of science that suggests anything that you claim about carbs? Any science that shows that eating no carbs results in better health than a well rounded diet?

You guys are confusing getting lean for a contest w getting healthy. Just because you can get to low bf does not mean its healthy, and plenty of pro bbers have done it w carbs.

I'll be waiting for actual science, not one guys explanation as to why we should not eat carbs...
    Last edited by exphys88; 07-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    Credentials:

Quote Originally Posted by Fit Guru View Post
    What Ozzie said, carbs are non essential for human life. If all you had was carbs you'd die. Reason being your body can convert protein into carbs(ketones).. When I FINALLY explain this to my clients all of a sudden their not dragging ass anymore.
    You suggest that carbs make you drag ass? That's hilarious considering that elite athletes consume most of their calories from carbs. I'm talking about football players, sprinters, swimmers, triathletes etc. none of them are dragging ass.
    Credentials:

Here is something to chew on...

The areas in the world that humans live the longest and have the lowest rates of cardiovascular disease and cancers are called the "blue zones." Here are the characteristics that they share:

Family – Family is put ahead of other concerns.
    No smoking – Smoking is not found in large quantities.
    Plant-based diet – Except for the Sardinian diet, the majority of food consumed is derived from plants.
    Constant moderate physical activity – Moderate physical activity is an inseparable part of life.
    Social engagement – People of all ages are socially active and integrated into their communities.
    Legumes – Legumes are commonly consumed.

notice the bold. btw, seventh day adventists are among these groups and they primarily eat a very high carb/vegetarian diet. There are tons of studies done on the great health of SDA's. In fact, I did my masters thesis on vegetarian diets and heart disease. The only physicians that have ever reversed heart disease, did it with a plant based diet that was primarily 60-70% carbs.

It's kinda hard to argue that carbs are bad when the longest living humans ever eat mostly carbs.

If a diet high in carbs and low in meat results in longer life and less risk of the major diseases, what is the benefit of not eating carbs. Please provide science in your response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone
    Last edited by exphys88; 07-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Credentials:

Exphy I think u miss read that. I never said carbs make u drag ass. Re-read

I'm sure most studies are done on "normal" people. Not bodybuilders or elite athletes trying to maintain as low bodyfat as possible. I think the general idea of the thread was how they relate to athletes keeping low BF. if we're talking about "general" health then of course a well balanced diet it nessesary but a bodybuilder wanting to get below 10% bf would have to cut carbs. I think the meat of this post got lost.