Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Demonizing of Carbs

Fit guru, are you saying that it's psychological w your clients?
    My other arguments are directed at the other poster who seems convinced that carbs are unhealthy.
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM

Exphy there you go!! You got it. I'm so glad we weren't arguing! Lol

Lol, you made it clear that you were not anti carb in earlier posts.
    Credentials:

V.I.P.

Re: The Demonizing of Carbs

Never said "carbs' in and of themselves are unhealthy. Just that certain carbs that we have all taken for granted as "healthy" are not so much. Your title "Demonizing" caught my eye and after our exchange you are obviously pro carb. Wasn't trying to hijack, just saying I've noticed carbs to be much trickier than I ever thought. Bodybuilders and elite athletes do a ton of things that are not natural for a certain look or performance (like abnormally increasing testosterone), they are pushing it to the limit, it doen't mean its healthy long term. Your original position didn't seem geared towards the elite or professional but the concepts trainers teach their clients and general helth principles.

I'm basing my position on evolution over millions of years and not the past thousand....Since the agricultural revolution our health has declined in many ways. yes, you can subsist on corn and wheat since its a cheap fuel source that feeds the masses...and yes you night live to be 100 on the diet but I wouldn't want to. I don't have the time to look it up but I was listeing to the radio and they were saying the average height is declining. Why? We eat a carb-centric diet (bad carbs) that causes low level inflammation. Our body is fighting this inflammation from birth so it spends time fighting this inflammation rather than growing.

I used to eat what I thought was a clean diet (low-fat protein, veggies, healthy grains and brown rice, legumes, etc.) but I still had a baby spare tire no matter what i did (Wheat belly). I went Paleo and within months I had abs without increasing my cardio (I don't even do "cardio") and my energy and strength went up. This isn't Atkins-low-carb-eat a pound of bacon and cheese everyday bullshit. I didn't restrict calories and I bascially stayed the same weight but I looked and felt way better. No more crazy zits that popped out of nowhere, no more lethargy. I have friends and family that would ask what I did, they'd give it a try and have the same results. I'm not an outlier.

Not the bible or anything but this gives a much better overview of paleo principles.
    http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    Last edited by ozzie90; 07-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Evolution is just a theory! Jk, don't even get me started on that topic.

I agree that from an evolutionary standpoint, the paleo diet is probably what we ate while we evolved. But, that does not prove that it's the optimal diet. And, you're making a ton of assumptions about what has caused the decline in our health, there are way too many variables to start labeling carbs as the culprit.
    You're also using your experience as proof of something, that is not an objective way to prove anything. I can find plenty of Atkins freaks and vegetarians that will make similar claims.
    I am pro carb because of the science behind it, but I also know that when cutting you can be more successful by increasing protein and fst and decreasing carbs.
    I come from a health standpoint and not necessarily a contest prep standpoint, and this may be why we are not in agreement. I would rather live to 100 than have a six pack. Not that they have to be exclusive, but health will always be my focus.

My other point is that there are many different types of diets that people find success with, including vegetarian and paleo. There are very little absolutes in this field.
    Last edited by exphys88; 07-19-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Credentials:

V.I.P.

Re: The Demonizing of Carbs

I agree, everyone has to figure out what works for them. I bring up paleo because of the science behind it and my personal success with it. But also to let others know its an option. Its not a "low-carb" diet, its a way to eat that just happens to be lower in carbs. Its the one thing I can try and control (organic, grassfed, etc). We can't control all the environmental crap our bodies soak up like a sponge. Different post but I do believe the environment and other stress factors are the reason so many guys' t-levels are crashing by the time they hit 30. I've done everything I can do to naturally raise it and feel good but I ultimatley turned to TRT to make up the difference.

You know being "carb sensitive" is real. I train a lot of people and the diets vary but the majority are on very low carb diets but these people are getting ready for competition. Although almost all women have to be on very low carbs. Most are in fact "carb sensitive". They will not get lean eating over 100 grams of carbs a day. They will be beach ready but not stage ready. Now bikini competitors will use a higher carb diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fit Guru View Post
    You know being "carb sensitive" is real. I train a lot of people and the diets vary but the majority are on very low carb diets but these people are getting ready for competition. Although almost all women have to be on very low carbs. Most are in fact "carb sensitive". They will not get lean eating over 100 grams of carbs a day. They will be beach ready but not stage ready. Now bikini competitors will use a higher carb diet.
    I personally only eat about 150 grams of carbs when cutting. Mostly because I don't have enough cals after getting my protein and fat requirements, and to help w satiety.
    I'm not knocking the low carb approach, I'm merely trying to point out that carbs are not inherently unhealthy for us, as some would lead you to believe.
    Credentials:

I know your not. I catch your point.