Thread: Why is squeezing at the peak of a lift or focusing on a pump so important?

Why is squeezing at the peak of a lift or focusing on a pump so important?

I see that recommended all time; what is gained by "squeezing" during a contraction?

How about getting a pump?

What do either of these gain you?

Sent from a secure app I developed just for MC, PM for details.

From what I've read the harder u can contract a muscle the more hypertrophy u will induce.

I just know I get better results on muscle groups I can contract great during the training

Bicep peaking/brachialis work is a perfect example of this. If u can not get that hard contraction with it.....seems
    Nearly useless
    Last edited by Ironguruera; 04-04-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Re: Why is squeezing at the peak of a lift or focusing on a pump so important?

I try to squeeze / contract when doing iso lifts like bi's and tri's. I mainly do compound lifts and go for more intensity vs volume / pump............probably not the best for bodybuilding.

Nbencze

There are positive studies that support imagining how you want your trained muscle to look while you are training that specific muscle. It sounds like jewberish, but I do it anyways.

By squeezing at the peak of s lift you're essentially increasing the time under tension by making the rep last a little longer. You're slso achieving a maximal contraction for ghe muscle; if you're curling, for example, 45lbs dumbells, you're not making the muscles contract their hardest because you can curl the weight more than once. By squeezing you're forcing a maximal contraction regardless of the weight used. This is obviously better than using a weight you can only do one rep with.

As for getting a pump; it pumps more blood into the muscle, stretching the fascia and providing loads of good, muscle building nutrients. This aids building muscle. Hence why bodybuilders are bigger than powerlifters.

Basically the squeeze at the peak and the pump are methods for inducing hyper trophy; one by increasing the muscles' perceived workload the other by pumping in more nutrients. The benefits are bigger, stronger muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Colstreamer View Post
    By squeezing at the peak of s lift you're essentially increasing the time under tension by making the rep last a little longer. You're slso achieving a maximal contraction for ghe muscle; if you're curling, for example, 45lbs dumbells, you're not making the muscles contract their hardest because you can curl the weight more than once. By squeezing you're forcing a maximal contraction regardless of the weight used. This is obviously better than using a weight you can only do one rep with.

As for getting a pump; it pumps more blood into the muscle, stretching the fascia and providing loads of good, muscle building nutrients. This aids building muscle. Hence why bodybuilders are bigger than powerlifters.

Basically the squeeze at the peak and the pump are methods for inducing hyper trophy; one by increasing the muscles' perceived workload the other by pumping in more nutrients. The benefits are bigger, stronger muscles.
    Well said! Great post
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

I recently turned 40, so going heavy with less reps is slowly turning into less weight with more reps. Essentially, I'm trying to do "quality" over "quantity" of workouts. The whole mind-muscle, squeeze-at-the-peak, and slow-lowering techniques are definitely getting incorporated into my daily routines. I'm not seeing any size loss yet... if anything, I'm seeing slightly better "hardness" compared to before. Probably firing more muscle fibers, similar to what someone mentioned above... My advice to anyone (no matter their age) is to squeeze and improve the "mind-muscle" technique in the gym... Of course, as a youngster, I probably would have kept lifting heavy and ignored the 40-year old version of myself...