Thread: Do You Think Sports Stars Are Obligated To Be Role Models?

Do You Think Sports Stars Are Obligated To Be Role Models?

That is, do you think they owe it to their public, fans and especially kids to live up to the image of a role model with perceived morals and values? I'm on the fence about this issue. I mean, on the one hand, you have guys (very young in some cases) that have all this new-found fame and money, that get in trouble with guns and partying, blah blah. Some of them sure don't have respect for all that money. That's for sure. But do they really owe it to us to live their lives in any way but how they want to? Then again, there's all those little kids that look up to these folks, so maybe it's good for kids to get a dose of what life is really like out there and have it explained by their parents? Not live in a bubble?....Discuss.

Re: Do You Think Sports Stars Are Obligated To Be Role Models?

I'm their own homes and out of the media they should be able to do whatever. But mainly for the image of their team who pays them, they should restrain from doing too much stupid activity.

Re: Do You Think Sports Stars Are Obligated To Be Role Models?

That's a tough question to answer. From the team's point of view i would agree that they are contractually obligated to act morally appropriate. However, in many cases these young guys have come from less than ideal situations. You would like to think that someone along the way cared enough about them to teach them about morals and becoming a productive member of society but unfortunately too many of these ideals are pushed aside because the adults too busy exploiting the kids to benefit themselves...