Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Trainer workout?

Personal Trainer workout?

So I signed back up with LA fitness; due to different reasons... The main one being equipment thats usually not found in the smaller mom and pop gyms in my area (standing calf raises, shoulder shrug machines, etc). So, we all know the routine; personal trainer sets up a "personal assessment" to determine my goals... I figured, I know what I'm doing, but at least I'll get my fat and muscle measurements for my log book. I've always trained by myself, and I've tried many different training methods, and I know what works for my body. Anyways, heres the condensed version of the story: I meet the trainer, and after getting said measurements, he proceeds to get me balancing on rubber balls and doing weird bodyweight exercises. It's been a while since I've played any sports, and my coordination is a little off. He's lucky I didn't accidentally drop a weight ball on his head (no, really, he stood in front of me while i bounced a heavy ball off the wall above him)! I wasn't coordinated enough to do half the exercises he wanted me to try, and today, I am feeling rather sore. So it got me thinking; while I have a good amount of muscle mass for my frame, could I stand to benefit to workout more like a crossfitter to get my overall agility and core strength up? I'm still not buying into the personal training for financial reasons, but maybe I could benefit from incorporating some of these exercises into my standard routine? I gotta admit, that guy's workout had me sweatin and looking like an out-of-shape noob out on the workout floor... What are your opinions?

Re: Personal Trainer workout?

Diversity is important! I do some plank work on a bosu ball and that shit is hard!

My buddy likes to do handstand push-ups as a finisher. He can seated shoulder bar press 365 so I don't think anyone will bust his chops lol.

Pylometrics, core work, agility work, sled work are all great things we can add into our programs. Adding these things makes all your BB stuff progress IMHO. If nothing else be more athletic!

There was a video of levin levrone getting back into shape again and he does these giant step jumps to help his squats. Was interesting info.

U don't have to be a slow immobile just cause u are a BB.

Watch some of rich piana. He does mma, and can jump high as hell which looks off cause he's a huge bastard.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

I say go for it! I had a trainer about 7 years ago and she did all this stuff with me. It felt great, was super challenging and results were awesome....BUT the plyo work messed up my hip. Point being, change it up its good for you and if your over 40 limit the "jumping" cause the impact on older joints can be rough. Go with it and keep us updated
    "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."

I usually switch things up once or twice a year and go light weight high rep to give the body a break from all the heavy lifting I do all year. I usually lose about 5-10lbs and it feels great for a while until, I am ready to get after the iron again!point being, switch it up! Let us know what comes of it. I bet u add to your overall fitness and love the results. But do let us know

There's a lot of agility work that can be done that's less dangerous (using term lightly here) than cross fit training.

As for personal trainers I don't care for them because most like to flaunt everything they think they know and don't end up teaching much if anything useful. That being said you can get free sessions at some gyms by just asking nicely, won't always happen though.

It all depends upon your personal goals. If you like doing what this personal trainer is putting you thru then I say go for it, but also look at his clients to see if they have met their goals using him as well. If you are relunctant to it, then keep doing your own thing to meet your own goals.
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    It all depends upon your personal goals. If you like doing what this personal trainer is putting you thru then I say go for it, but also look at his clients to see if they have met their goals using him as well. If you are relunctant to it, then keep doing your own thing to meet your own goals.
    Agree with this...

If you have the funds why not try out the trainer if you feel you can benefit from it. Learn what they have to offer and then incorporate it into your workouts.

I went with my wife to "Texas Fit Chiks". A group lead by a female trainer (who physique/bikini competes) and did a month worth of workouts with her, twice a week.

Hands down these workouts kicked my ass beyond belief. Body weight, light weight, endurance type HIIT training.

Krista and I have incorporated this into our workouts and actually do less lifting now than before.
    Check Out "The Lunchbox" Past, Present and Future Life Log!!

http://www.musclecoalition.org/showt...nto-the-Future

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
    Agree with this...

If you have the funds why not try out the trainer if you feel you can benefit from it. Learn what they have to offer and then incorporate it into your workouts.

I went with my wife to "Texas Fit Chiks". A group lead by a female trainer (who physique/bikini competes) and did a month worth of workouts with her, twice a week.

Hands down these workouts kicked my ass beyond belief. Body weight, light weight, endurance type HIIT training.

Krista and I have incorporated this into our workouts and actually do less lifting now than before.
    ^ Yep... when I hurt my shoulder, I did a leg workout once a week and the rest of the week was cardio on the elliptical until I could get to a point to rehab the shoulder and start coming back light. During the offseason I am going to change my workouts to lifting three weeks out of the month then one week of straight cardio to help keep my bf down during the winter. It doesn't hurt to make changes to your routine to help from getting stale & stagnate. Now I just need to take down my window decal from my truck that says... "CARDIO SUCKS" or I will be eating my own words! lol!
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    ^ Yep... when I hurt my shoulder, I did a leg workout once a week and the rest of the week was cardio on the elliptical until I could get to a point to rehab the shoulder and start coming back light. During the offseason I am going to change my workouts to lifting three weeks out of the month then one week of straight cardio to help keep my bf down during the winter. It doesn't hurt to make changes to your routine to help from getting stale & stagnate. Now I just need to take down my window decal from my truck that says... "CARDIO SUCKS" or I will be eating my own words! lol!
    Doesn't matter... Cardio forever sucks lol
    Check Out "The Lunchbox" Past, Present and Future Life Log!!

http://www.musclecoalition.org/showt...nto-the-Future

Thanks for the input guys! Yea, I remember Kevin Levrone had the idea that bodybuilding led to superior athletic conditioning; he put his money where his mouth was and challenged a world-class sprinter to a race.... Yea he lost, but he made it look good the first half. Another example, like someone mentioned above, is Rich Piana. Heres a video I saw of him showing off his extreme flexibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSf1BFRcdxo

Bottom line is, I could probably benefit from mixing it up a bit... I've always been satisfied with my self image, but I guess I never realized how much athleticism I've lost over the years. I guess my potential trainer said it best, "It's like getting a steam locomotive to move in different directions that it wasn't intended to". I'll have to check my finances though... They want $150 sign up fee, and $180 a month for 4 sessions.... I sure as hell ain't taking ballet class away from my 5-year old! She loves it too much! I'll figure something out...