Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle Research Whey Isolate Review

Muscle Research Whey Isolate Review

I'm a big fan of whey isolate. My main use for it is immediately post-workout (though lately, that's been more like ~2 hours after working out because I've been lifting in the AM and have to wait long enough after dosing my thyroid medication). However, it's also nice when trying to get in some extra protein without any extra calories/macros to fill in the gaps.

My go-to has been Syntrax Nectar for as long as we've had it at the store. I still haven't tried every flavor, but I've tried a lot and so far I've only had one that I didn't really care for; though there are a few I really enjoy (my recent favorite has been the cappucino, because it's kind of nice as a way to break the fast in the morning after my lift).

So I've been working my way through everything I had, and finally got a chance to grab a bag of the Muscle Research Whey Isolate. I started with vanilla. I'll try chocolate soon and update once I have a chance.

It mixes up incredibly easy and doesn't need much water at all. It's very thin and easy to drink. The taste is very, very subtle. It's not bad just like it's not great -- it's just a very hint of vanilla. So if you're looking for something to sip on, this probably isn't it. That said, I don't want an isolate to sip on; I'd want a blend, most likely. And as long as I'm getting a good quality protein, I don't care what it tastes like. The best part about that last part is it's no where near bad -- it's just hard for me to call it good (in regards to flavor) when there isn't much of one.

I've been using it for a couple weeks now and really like it in all aspects. One thing I just thought of today, and plan to try out this weekend, is adding just a hint of cinnamon to it. I think it may actually be just the trick and I'll report on how that turns out.

So my thought is it's very much worth picking up if you specifically need an isolate. The best deal out there is the 3 pack (6 lbs. total) where you can choose any combination of chocolate and/or vanilla:

https://www.mrsupps.com/Products/470...solate+Bundle/

$79.99 shipped to your door for 6 lbs. is a solid deal for an isolate.

In addition to that, until December 1st, you can actually get a bag for free with the purchase of Test Infusion, which is one of my favorite test boosters out there and a staple of PCT for me:

https://www.mrsupps.com/Products/90/Test+Infusion/

Re: Muscle Research Whey Isolate Review

I've honestly never tried an isolate. Never really saw a need in the past but I'm wondering if switching up would cause me to feel less crappy. For that price I'll have to at least check it out, that's cheaper than a lot of blends I've used.

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

It is good, I send some to our beloved Ordawg here and he likes it as well...sending him 3 bags as a matter of fact tomorrow.
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! (Philippians 4:13)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

I like isolates for pre or post. They are clean easy to drink shakes compared to blends being so thick.
    Not to steal thunder from the thread but there's tons of great unique flavors made in isolates that totally change the protein flavor game. I like to have 3-4 flavors on hand and change it up all the time.

Cinnamon in the shakes is a great idea OP I used to do that often. Get some Saigon cinnamon from jewco aka Costco....bomb!
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

if you after flavor you need to go whey concentrate. Pretty much all whey iso's taste bland compared .You use it for the lower fat and lower carb content, not the taste or you made a mistake picking iso to begin with.

Im glad to see you enjoyed it mwb.

Nice review! Have you or do you plan to do one on casein?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    I've honestly never tried an isolate. Never really saw a need in the past but I'm wondering if switching up would cause me to feel less crappy. For that price I'll have to at least check it out, that's cheaper than a lot of blends I've used.
    I've used isolates for years now for post-workout and really enjoy it. It's easy on the macros and the quick digestion is obviously the initial thing that drew me in. Certainly worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironguruera View Post
    I like isolates for pre or post. They are clean easy to drink shakes compared to blends being so thick.
    Not to steal thunder from the thread but there's tons of great unique flavors made in isolates that totally change the protein flavor game. I like to have 3-4 flavors on hand and change it up all the time.

Cinnamon in the shakes is a great idea OP I used to do that often. Get some Saigon cinnamon from jewco aka Costco....bomb!
    For sure, man. I've been using Syntrax Nectar before this and have tried about 10 different flavors and it's great. The price point on this bundle is so hard to beat, though lol. Looking forward to seeing how chocolate goes.

Quote Originally Posted by squatpresspull View Post
    Nice review! Have you or do you plan to do one on casein?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

I haven't used a straight casein protein in like 5 years or so. I'm sure they've improved, but whatever I had was horrible and mixed like engine oil LOL. I'm sure it was an ON or something like that. I just remember it was french vanilla and it did NOT taste good. The consistency made it that much worse. I still forced it down before bed, but never looked forward to it.

We have Yo-Whey, which is a blend and if I don't have a review of that up over here, I'll get one done (I love it) and I've used PES Select and that has casein in it, too. That I like. I don't think I could do a straight casein again, though (nor would I have much reason to anymore).

Okay, so I finally got the chocolate in on Monday and got a chance to try it out yesterday.

I was breaking a ~16 hour fast, so I ended up taking 3 scoops mixed in with water after my workout.

As far as texture, mixability, etc. -- it is all exactly on point with the vanilla, which is fantastic. No clumps, and really fine powder.

As for taste -- let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect it to be bad by any means, but I wasn't expecting much. The vanilla was a very, very faint flavor. While this wasn't strong, it had more of a noticeable taste. And while I'd heard it described previously by others as milk chocolate, I thought there was no way (I was thinking a Hershey's milk chocolate bar). It's obviously not that, but you want to know what it tastes like??

Hot chocolate.

Kid you not, it tastes like Swiss Miss hot chocolate. It's not a strong flavor, but it's a very good one and distinct. I am seriously inclined to try and mix my next one up with hot water just to see. All that was missing were the marshmallows LOL.

So yeah, I'll still use the vanilla (and I think the dash of cinnamon or other spices can add to it), but this will be my go to. I love Syntrax Nectar and all the flavors, but with the price point being what it is for that 6 pound bundle -- my next purchase will be 2 chocolate, 1 vanilla. I'm happy to say I've found my go-to isolate.