Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPP's Sleep Study Thread - Please join in with yours.

SPP's Sleep Study Thread - Please join in with yours.

Well, I'm going to get blasted for this, but I'm okay with that.

I've talked with several people the last few weeks and comparing how I feel, my mood, and over all being... it's shit. Each person I've chatted with once felt the exact same way I do now. Waking up with a head ache, drowsy all day, and fighting to stay awake most of the day. My wife and I were sitting around the camp fire at deer camp the weekend we were there and one of the ladies there (her husband is the "head guy" of deer camp) asked me about my shoulder and also asked about my sleeping. My wife kinda "faded off" (ignoring the questions) and the lady had asked me if I had done a sleep study at all. I haven't yet.

She asked why and I told her because of my surgery and I feel that I could drop some weight and possibly start sleeping better. Asking if I have ever woke up not breathing or anything, I told her that my wife has had to wake me up several times because I had stopped breathing. She insisted that I get a sleep study done. Well, with surgery coming up and just barely making my deductible, I figured I shouldn't and plus the fact it's "more money" we don't have. She asked if I had met my deductible and I stated I know I have several bills from my MRI and other visits, that it's going to be covered. She insisted that I get it done since it's met (or will be) and it alone will help with my recovery too. (I later found out she was a nurse and almost nurse practitioner.)

Well, I stated that I'd look into it and see what I could do. So, Monday I set out to see what I could do. I called my dr and she stated that she will get a sleep study lined up for me and someone will call to confirm. Cool. An hour later or so, I got a call from the sleep study at the hospital and the earliest date would be Feb 9th. I asked if there was any way to get it earlier and it was a big fat no. I said go ahead and schedule it and I might need to push it back since the surgery. I then did some GoogleFu and found several sleep study clinics locally. I called the first one and they were booked until mid or end February as well. Told them thanks and hung up. I called another and asked when would be the earliest I could get a sleep study. She asked if IO'd be okay with a consultation and the sleep study on the same day. Absolutely I would. Dec. 17th (next Thursday)!

I said before we do it, can you run my insurance info and see if I met my deductible and whatever else. She ran it and I haver no co-pay and I have met my 1000 dollar deductible. Plus, I'll only have to pay 20% of the bills. Still a lot, but cheaper over all. So, I asked her to go ahead and put me down. I was going to go in at 8:15, but I forgot my youngest has a school party I have to go to. So I called back and I go in at 10:15. Then that night, I haver to show up at 7:30 and get started with the study.

This is where I will get blasted. I'm keeping it from the wife totally until that afternoon. Why? I don't feel like arguing about it until the day I go. I know she'll throw a fit, but like many (on FB) has stated, the cost of the study and CPAP machine won't mean shit if it saves my life. Plus, if I start to have more heart issues (currently high BP), more mood swings, memory loss, and many other causes, that'll cost more in hospital bills than what a sleep study and machine would cost.

So, Dec. 17th, I'll get my sleep study done and hopefully get a CPAP before surgery and get semi used to it.

Re: SPP's Sleep Study Thread - Please join in with yours.

I thought u had the sleep study and they didn't find anything ?

Don't get why the wife would not want u to get it done? ESP as now is the time with the insurance deductible has been met! Snoring is not a huge issue but the fact she has to wake u up as u have stopped breathing is THE classic apnea red flag if there ever was one!
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

the first couple week on cpap. you catch up.....some of the best sleep you have had in years...
    I am surprised they are sending you to the sleep study..... my understanding is now a days they just give you the auto-cpap and just review the data card

Quote Originally Posted by xdude View Post
    the first couple week on cpap. you catch up.....some of the best sleep you have had in years...
    I am surprised they are sending you to the sleep study..... my understanding is now a days they just give you the auto-cpap and just review the data card
    Mine wanted to send me for the sleep study to the tune of $680 out of pocket expense for just the test. I told the lady get fucked I'll buy a used machine with new mask for a fraction of that!

I don't gasp for air just snore so prob don't have apnea.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

I'm going in for one on the 22nd. Had one 3 years ago but came back that I only snore mildly. Which is a joke because I snore like a bear and keep everyone awake. Hopefully this will turn out differently as I too wake feeling like I've been up all night and nod off during the day. I've heard that you should take a sleeping pill after you get there to really put you out like at home. You are in a strange place and all wired up and you don't sleep the same as when comfortable so the pill helps with that and getting a more accurate read. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironguruera View Post
    I thought u had the sleep study and they didn't find anything ?

Don't get why the wife would not want u to get it done? ESP as now is the time with the insurance deductible has been met! Snoring is not a huge issue but the fact she has to wake u up as u have stopped breathing is THE classic apnea red flag if there ever was one!
    No study yet.

We still pay 20% of the total cost of whatever I get done. The sleep study is 2600 with a chance of a second one.

Yeah, several times she's woke me up several nights to get he to breath again. So regardless, I'm going to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xdude View Post
    That's what I've been told. My body will eat that sleep up!

Well, I figure they will make more with a sleep study and the possibly a second one. I've considered just buying one of the auto ones. (Currently one on my local craigslist for 450 and it's a 1100 system.).

Quote Originally Posted by Ironguruera View Post
    Mine wanted to send me for the sleep study to the tune of $680 out of pocket expense for just the test. I told the lady get fucked I'll buy a used machine with new mask for a fraction of that!

I don't gasp for air just snore so prob don't have apnea.
    That's what I said when I called awhile back and they said 2600 without insurance. I about passed out.

The snoring is why I'm in the living room. The sleep apnea, that I'm sure I have, is for the study and CPAP.

Quote Originally Posted by SFDan View Post
    I'm going in for one on the 22nd. Had one 3 years ago but came back that I only snore mildly. Which is a joke because I snore like a bear and keep everyone awake. Hopefully this will turn out differently as I too wake feeling like I've been up all night and nod off during the day. I've heard that you should take a sleeping pill after you get there to really put you out like at home. You are in a strange place and all wired up and you don't sleep the same as when comfortable so the pill helps with that and getting a more accurate read. Keep us posted.
    I'm sure you know, but the CPAP is for sleep apnea. I'd be happy to snore and snore loudly if I actually got sleep all night.

I'll have to ask. I'm one that wants things a certain way as if it's not, whatever it is, I can't do it. So a strange bed and place, I'll not sleep at all.

Will post updates. You too after yours, feel free to post here.

This is becoming more common and seems to more in men. It can be serious and is hard on the heart. Fuzo has tried to do sleep studies 2 times. He has only gotten about an hours sleep there, and that is not enough data. He continues to suffer with this. there are more options besides the CPAP and they are definitely smaller than when my father first got one years ago.
    "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."