Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day split?

Arabian

Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day split?

I have been switching back and forth and it seems that the 5x5 is much harder on joints and muscles due to the weight however I think I am getting more out of my 5x5 program . thoughts?

Re: Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day spli

I've only been lifting for about 3 years. The first 10 months I did starting strength, the next 8-9 months I did madcow. Now I'll do a split for a few months focusing on hypertrophy and go back to madcow for a few months focusing of course on strength. I love both. You're right though, only time I ever take glucosamine is during 5x5.

Off topic, if Robin Meade didn't have a man-voice I would love her.

Thank you that is all.

Re: Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day spli

I found the Madcow a few years ago and I like to switch back and forth throughout the year. I generally run 5X5 about 10-12 weeks depending on my progression. It does beat you down, but thats what I like about it. I simply love to train, but that has been a draw back for me in that harder is not always smarter. I will start a 5X5 in a few weeks after vacation when I am healed up and rested nicely

5x5 is great for strenght but the older I get the harder it is for me to keep piling the weights on without something hurting somewhere.

Been lifting for over 20 years and for some reason have never used a 5x5 until now. I am at the end of my second week and I actually like it. It is kind of modified. Where I only do my first compound movement in the 5x5. Then everything else is 10-15 reps x 3 sets or so depending on how I feel. i through some FST7 in there as well. But it is keeping me strong, and still giving me the pump Im looking for.

PJ1127

Quote Originally Posted by Arabian View Post
    I have been switching back and forth and it seems that the 5x5 is much harder on joints and muscles due to the weight however I think I am getting more out of my 5x5 program . thoughts?
    I gave you a good workout back on another site through PM.

I like the three day split for mass, but after 5 weeks try to switch things up a bit keeping it heavy

V.I.P.

after a long hiatus from lifting heavy I started back up with 5x5. I really wanted to build up that core of strength and it seemed like a pretty simple straight-forward way to do it. I found it was great to get my poundages back to a respectable level.

i gained a good amount of strength and mass using 5x5, but i sort of modified it. i didn't use stronglifts or madcow, just used the 5x5 method for big compound lifts, went hypertrophy on accessory lifts and isolation movements like curls and tricep pushdowns. this seemed to work really well for me until i plataeued. switched it up to DC, haven't been doing that long but i feel like i'm not working each muscle group effectively enough, and some lifts have gone down. with 5x5 on weighted pullups i was doing 45lbs. now after i get done with chest tris and shoulders if it's my day for pullups i'm only doing 25lb for one working set (rest pause). maybe because i'm so tired after killing my self on bench dips and shoulder press (example), so i feel my back isn't getting hit as hard. i was doing 5x5 monday wednesday friday by the way, i'm about to switch back to it and see if i start progressing again. i love 5x5

LOL hey Arab.
    You know my thought on the SL 5x5 bro. Even at my advanced age I love doing this a couple times per year. There not anything quite like the 5x5 for gaining mass and strength. But if your gonna do any 5x5 you really and I mean REALLY have to eat to support the program.
    Bro your a prime candidate for it.
    Yeah it can be a bit tuff on joints but if you keep it to a 12 week run and dont do it too often your golden.
    Again I tell you bro give it a shot, you wont regret it.