Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day split?

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
    Been lifting for over 20 years and for some reason have never used a 5x5 until now. I am at the end of my second week and I actually like it. It is kind of modified. Where I only do my first compound movement in the 5x5. Then everything else is 10-15 reps x 3 sets or so depending on how I feel. i through some FST7 in there as well. But it is keeping me strong, and still giving me the pump Im looking for.
    You show your 20 yrs right here brother. Pure knowledge.

There is no one best approach! I prefer exactly what u just said. I do a compilation of them all. I find this best for growth, cut, staying lean. I take the things that work from all my favs over the years and melted it all together.

Re: Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day spli

Been taking a few days off to let my shoulder quiet down.
    Now ready to restart as it feels pretty good.
    Same program but different...LOL gonna do an alternate chest workout that you can see over in the Weight Training section.

newNimproved

Re: Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day spli

i do more of a 6x6 with free weights compound lifts, then 4x10 for iso movements.

like oldgoat, i learned from old brothers like him. you gotta work your muscles in different ways to get them beyond the muscle and fitness look

Your right bro. I will do the 5x5 for 2 progressions at the longest then on to something entirely diff.

3 day split for me. Occasionally 4.

I am thinking about starting it in a few weeks. I did a little bit of legs this morning to get a feel for where I need to start when I begin an actual lifting regimen again. I was surprisingly stronger than I thought I would be. I did lighter weights for two sets, but I was surprised at how good it felt to actually be lifting again. I have about 3 weeks of Insanity left and I am thinking of adding a light weight workout each night with the intent of building sets and weight so that when I hit it hard in a few weeks my joints are ready for the strain. The thing I like about the 5x5 is it appears to focus on major muscle groups which I would think is a good place for someone to start, as well as a good way to get past a strength plateau for an experienced lifter.

What is exact layout for 5x5? N is it always benchpress, squats, n deadlift? Can shoulder movements b incorporated? Like clean n press, or my all time favorite shoulder movement:BEHIND THE NECK PRESS. I often superset them with behind the neck pullups/pulldowns.
    Incidentally, as long as I do them slow n controlled, they are less painful than standard front presses n even flat bench, where the front delt

Cool Re: Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day spli

Quote Originally Posted by NYJACK View Post
    What is exact layout for 5x5? N is it always benchpress, squats, n deadlift? Can shoulder movements b incorporated? Like clean n press, or my all time favorite shoulder movement:BEHIND THE NECK PRESS. I often superset them with behind the neck pullups/pulldowns.
    Incidentally, as long as I do them slow n controlled, they are less painful than standard front presses n even flat bench, where the front delt
    It works like this bro;
    Two workouts, A and B, A is squat, flat bench press and bent over barbell row. B is squat, Deadlift and overhead press (do it behind the neck if you prefer) all for 5reps 5sets. You train three days per week, eg Monday, Wednesday, Friday alternating the workout each time; so one week it'll be A,B,A the next B,A,B. You increase each lift by 5lbs (2.5kg for me cos I'm in Europe) each session except deadlift, that you need to increase by 10lbs so that it keeps up with squats. The idea is to start off relatively light and push past previous maxes. As you're adding 5-10lbs to each lift each week it soon gets very heavy. You basically add 30lbs to each lift per month, so as you can see, starting light is kinda essential otherwise you're going to plateau too soon.
    Last edited by Colstreamer; 01-02-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colstreamer View Post
    It works like this bro;
    Two workouts, A and B, A is squat, flat bench press and bent over barbell row. B is squat, Deadlift and overhead press (do it behind the neck if you prefer) all for 5reps 5sets. You train three days per week, eg Monday, Wednesday, Friday alternating the workout each time; so one week it'll be A,B,A the next B,A,B. You increase each lift by 5lbs (2.5kg for me cos I'm in Europe) each session except deadlift, that you need to increase by 10lbs so that it keeps up with squats. The idea is to start off relatively light and push past previous maxes. As you're adding 5-10lbs to each lift each week it soon gets very heavy. You basically add 30lbs to each lift per month, so as you can see, starting light is kinda essential otherwise you're going to plateau too soon.
    Perfect brief synopsis! Key is to crush your ego and start light! It's not easy lol. Don't let your ego get in the way. It will be heavy soon enough!
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!