Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does money matter?

Does money matter?

So as some of u know I moved jobs in July of this year. No longer an assistant manager. I just do my job, punch the clock and life is stress free now! I'm 5 minutes from home now. I go home all the time and play with my 1 yr old or other kids if they are not at school. It's been super nice seeing my kids and family so easily now. I also get off at 6pm so I can go home and help my wife with bedtime now. My wife said she loves my new job location and noted how stress free I am now.

Long story short an old co-worker is a manager in town at another store and wants me to work for him. I've worked with him before but he was not my manager back then.

He offered me $1-$2k more a month......said think about it over the holidays and if I'm interested we can meet after then holidays.

I dunno while $2k a month is a lot I will have to drive across town again.....while I would be able to financially provide more for my family I won't be there in person as a true father.

My heart says pass ....but the financial side of me says that money's sure would make sending my 3 kids to college and buying them cars way easier!

However we are almost done with refinancing our house which will put us in a great financial spot. My car has been paid off so once this is done our only debt will be the mortgage and my wife's car.....
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Re: Does money matter?

I have one of those jobs that requires lots of hours every week. I have missed so much of my kids life growing up. It truly is not worth it. My family doesn't want for anything but I'm rarely with them. I will retire with millions but I will have missed too much. It's the path I have chosen but not the best one. Spend the time with your family.

last time I checked , the IRS says 40 cents a mile , this number is fought over by teams accounts, for and against .ie pretty accurate. includes insurance ,wear and tear , and gas. factor in that cost and it is 5 days a week back and forth
    how much and hour is your time worth factor in that cost, ( how much time are you loosing)
    then factor in extra taxes for the higher income

$1k/month is roughly $225 a week ( 30 day month) . subtract 35% taxes you are at about $150
    ( remember this is a marginal rate , so you are at you highest rate in your "raise")
    cross town is what 50 miles round trip, 250 a week and that is another $100
    you are down to $50-$70 take home.

an hour each way you are talking 5-7 bucks and hour to drive across town is that worth it to you.

I had to explain this to my sister , because she felt bad about loosing a job she was working around the clock with .And driving 70 miles a day.
    She was upset about not making as much money, but in the end she was stressed out and it was ruining her health .all for what . she got a job around the block and loved it.

My $.02 , do the math and make sure it is worth it .

Quote Originally Posted by NTL View Post
    I have one of those jobs that requires lots of hours every week. I have missed so much of my kids life growing up. It truly is not worth it. My family doesn't want for anything but I'm rarely with them. I will retire with millions but I will have missed too much. It's the path I have chosen but not the best one. Spend the time with your family.
    This hits home for me. My dad had no choice but to work his ass off to provide for a family of 5 kids and a stay at home wife for most of my upbringing. He was always working trying to provide for us. Yet I can't help but think if he was home more and spend more time with some of my younger sisters they would have made better life choices. He was never at any of our school events etc.

I feel I'm a father and family man now and to truly be the father I want to be ....I should stay put.

I haven't been this stress free in a long long time. My boss values me as an employee and really takes care of me. He let me leave to get my kids from school mid day once. Dog ran away he let me go find him. I wanted to buy a gun yesterday he said go get it man! It's almost abstract to me because my old boss was such a cunt to me.

The most important thing we have is time.

I think if you thought making more $ was best, you wouldn't have asked us.

I'm chasing money and I'm not happy. If I could trade that and know we would get by, I would do it.

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

No more chasing money brother, I believe you already have the answer in your heart, you just want confirmation from us...be that father and husband you need to be. God will always provide for you.

Happy Thanksgiving Iggy!
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! (Philippians 4:13)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

Thank you guys! You are right MA I know the answer...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being foolish.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1479962854.905584.jpg

This is my baby. She literally does this almost every time she sees me. It's impossible to not turn any mood I was having totally around when I see her!

Working across town I literally barely saw her awake except on the weekends. Nothing is worth not seeing her beautiful smile and face as much as I get to now.

And happy thanksgiving brothers! I am thankful I have you all !

I didn't read what others said but I am a big believer in following your heart. The quality time is more important than money.

V.I.P.

If You remember how much I use to work take it from me. If you do not need the extra money don't take the job. That job I thought I was not getting just called yesterday and offered $65k it's way less hours and less stress and close to home. It's also less than half of what I use to make. In my opinion it will be so worth it.
    Last edited by Layddually2; 11-24-2016 at 11:58 AM.