Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be careful with email services like hushmail and safe-mail

Be careful with email services like hushmail and safe-mail

I've heard one of the services has likely handed over information to the DEA (hushmail), so I would make sure all email through those outlets are encrypted with PGP. Email is transmitted via plaintext from server to server (SMTP protocol) so anyone can see the full contents anyways, but usually nobody is looking. The normal ones like yahoo and google mail both hand over anything on a simple req (no warrants). Be safe

newNimproved

Re: Be careful with email services like hushmail and safe-mail

honestly govt can look at your emails under the RICO or Homeland Security can prove you are a threat.........its complete BS, but its the world we live in now. big brother is always watching

Thanks for the heads up.

So what server do you suggest?

I've been hearing nothing but bad things about hushmail lately

newNimproved

safe-mail guys..........or get bit torrent

Quote Originally Posted by mondtster View Post
    So what server do you suggest?
    I'd use any email service, but encrypt with pgp. Its a little awkward at first (have to exchange keys before can send to each other), but its 100000x safer. Govt can't decrypt it, even with their supercomputers.

If you do use regular email, make sure not to use full typed out words that law enforcement would be likely to search for- like testosterone, steroids, western union... All safe-mail has to do is search for these key words in your emails and hand them over to the DEA. Then the DEA knows your email, and I'd guess safe-mail gives them a backdoor to read your email whenever. Maybe even forward each email you send and receive to a DEA server. Maybe this is happening, maybe its not, but its best to know it could be and prepare.

If you do use regular email, in the mean time use acronyms/slang like WU, test, gear. Searches for these terms would turn up too many results and are ineffective at finding targets.

always something...

Well my boy works at NORAD. He's in charge of collecting data in this same are. The shit he tells me makes me crazy. Nothing is safe. If they want they can look at pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    always something...
    seriously.... I use TOR, well I won't get into the reasons, and I swear the DEA is getting their act together more and more. I really think people should consider using bitcoins, even though they are a real pain in the arse to exchange for.

Here's a list of how to fund bitcoins, ironically its information is applicable to us even if we don't use bitcoins (you'll see what I mean) https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Payment_methods

bitcoin's money supply (total currency in circulation) is supposedly over $50m, and nobody in their right minds would use it for a legitimate purpose (except for really nerdy geeks pushing an alternate currency, and its a terrible one in that regard). its where a lot of people are flocking to because of the security and anonymity. The downside is its hard to get bitcoins (the process is a pain and people take %'s along the way), and people take a % to cash you out. But nobody has ever been busted through bitcoins.