Thread: Should the goverment be involed?

Should the goverment be involed?

From time to time, when yet another celebrity dies tragically from an overdose of painkillers, people ask me if I think prescription pain killers should be banned. The answer is No. I'll tell you why 'I' fill this way.

Its a sad fact that we have lost too much talent far to young (you know the names). And needless to say, tens of thousands of regular people, our friends and family members ,have lost their lives to prescription overdose as well.
    Here's the thing: people in pain should not have to suffer because others abuse their medicine. It's important we not lay 100% of the blame for these deaths on the medicine itself. The intention of these medications is not to cause death, it's to offer temporary relief to millions of users who take them as directed.

Many people become outraged at the drug manufactures, and jump to the conclusion that banning these drugs is the answer...but you can't understand the other side of this story unless you've been there.
    Imagine this scenario:
    You have a serious medical condition that affects your nervous system like multiple sclerosis, or severe lower back pain from a car accident, cancer, etc.. It's the pain that others can't see. So you are prescribed to take hydrocodone everyday because you can't tolerate the pain.
    You go into the pharmacy to get your refill, but since you've lost your job because of your disabilities, your not dressed as well as the other customers. Pharmacist Jones is skeptical of you, thinking you might be an addict,and she doesn't like you showing up in her pharmacy every 30 days like clockwork for your 60 pills.. She fears you will bring your friends,and word would get out the she dispenses narcotics to pretty much anyone.
    Then one day you're turned away because your doctor prescribed 180 tablets instead of 60.The physician only prescribed that amount because he knows that you can no longer afford to see him monthly, so he prescribed enough to hold you over for three months (this practice is not uncommon). Maybe you live out of town, so he gives you a 90 day supply.
    Regardless, the pharmacist perceives 180 tablets as excessive and tells you she's out of stock. In pain and shame, you and your spouse or caretaker must drive to several other pharmacies until a 'compassionate pharmacist fills your prescription.. Is this fair??
    Pharmacists are naturally cautious about what they dispense. Oftentimes they kick their caution up a notch following a celebrity overdose, or another 'Media" driven story.. But when people die from drug overdose, there are usually many causes, not solely the prescription drug itself.
    Restricting medicine at the pharmacy level will never stop the problem of overdose and moreover.

Chronic Pain Sufferers Should Never Have To Pay The Price For Substance Abusers.

My though and View.....................AM

Re: Should the goverment be involed?

Very true, I agree.

I'm generally against the government being involved in anything but I think the issue is more complex than you indicate. Drug companies, doctors, etc., there is plenty of blame to go around for the opioid crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
    From time to time, when yet another celebrity dies tragically from an overdose of painkillers, people ask me if I think prescription pain killers should be banned. The answer is No. I'll tell you why 'I' fill this way.

Its a sad fact that we have lost too much talent far to young (you know the names). And needless to say, tens of thousands of regular people, our friends and family members ,have lost their lives to prescription overdose as well.
    Here's the thing: people in pain should not have to suffer because others abuse their medicine. It's important we not lay 100% of the blame for these deaths on the medicine itself. The intention of these medications is not to cause death, it's to offer temporary relief to millions of users who take them as directed.

Many people become outraged at the drug manufactures, and jump to the conclusion that banning these drugs is the answer...but you can't understand the other side of this story unless you've been there.
    Imagine this scenario:
    You have a serious medical condition that affects your nervous system like multiple sclerosis, or severe lower back pain from a car accident, cancer, etc.. It's the pain that others can't see. So you are prescribed to take hydrocodone everyday because you can't tolerate the pain.
    You go into the pharmacy to get your refill, but since you've lost your job because of your disabilities, your not dressed as well as the other customers. Pharmacist Jones is skeptical of you, thinking you might be an addict,and she doesn't like you showing up in her pharmacy every 30 days like clockwork for your 60 pills.. She fears you will bring your friends,and word would get out the she dispenses narcotics to pretty much anyone.
    Then one day you're turned away because your doctor prescribed 180 tablets instead of 60.The physician only prescribed that amount because he knows that you can no longer afford to see him monthly, so he prescribed enough to hold you over for three months (this practice is not uncommon). Maybe you live out of town, so he gives you a 90 day supply.
    Regardless, the pharmacist perceives 180 tablets as excessive and tells you she's out of stock. In pain and shame, you and your spouse or caretaker must drive to several other pharmacies until a 'compassionate pharmacist fills your prescription.. Is this fair??
    Pharmacists are naturally cautious about what they dispense. Oftentimes they kick their caution up a notch following a celebrity overdose, or another 'Media" driven story.. But when people die from drug overdose, there are usually many causes, not solely the prescription drug itself.
    Restricting medicine at the pharmacy level will never stop the problem of overdose and moreover.

Chronic Pain Sufferers Should Never Have To Pay The Price For Substance Abusers.

My though and View.....................AM
    Yep... totally agree.
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

I believe that anything regulation over filling a prescription , does pretty much no good.
    and that it is just some party ( dems or Repubs) is just trying they did something.
    every year there is some new procedure to fill my trt.. it adds to my cost, and does nothing to prevent steroid abuse.

So opiods, over dosing IMHO is just darwin in action... Sorry if you have lost a child or love one to an Overdose
    I have a couple relatives that have OD in one way or another.

but did any of the laws stop that person.? no they wanted to get high and found the drugs,

did the regulations and new procedures cost people needing pain killers more aggravation, money and probably waiting for pain pills.? yes.