Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bursitis (Olecranon) on elbow...

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Bursitis (Olecranon) on elbow...

...showed it's ugly head last week after training chest & triceps, blew up pretty good the following few days, full of fluid. Didn't hurt, but now that it is getting better and smaller a bit of discomfort is setting in. I have been icing and unfortunately Ibuprofen to get inflammation down. Been training around it but has been a pain in the ______!!! They say if you have it drained you take a chance of infection which I do not want, just want this to heal. Maybe God's way of telling me to focus on other areas of weaknesses. Anyone else ever had to deal with this Bursa sac issue?

IMG_20180312_114203104.jpg

This photo was the day after it happened, was pretty big. Sent this to my coach/medic, said to take time off training...you know how that goes with me lol.
    Last edited by MuscleAddiction; 03-23-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! (Philippians 4:13)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

Re: Bursitis (Olecranon) on elbow...

Wow! Are you sure that's not an alien! lol. I'm very prone to bursitis and tendonitis. Have had it in my elbows, but mostly in my shoulders. Best treatment for me was ice, NSAIDS, and rest. Give it some time for the swelling to go down and come back using light weight only for awhile with wearing a compression sleeve for support and to combat inflammation. I just hope that there's nothing serious going on in there with it being that swollen. Injuries are no fun and can stop you dead in your tracks. I pray for healing for ya brother. Take care.
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Damn, brother!!!
    This kind of thing is a drag. A little time off for sure.

Thanks guys, eating and icing as I type, hoping this heals soon, but until then I have legs, abs, back, and cardio to do while I let the elbow heal.
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

Damn that looks painful.

I don't get bursitis, just an occasional nasty flare-up of elbow tendonitis. Same as you, Ibuprofen and try to train around it. I've found certain exercises really aggravate the issue--can't do overhead tricep extensions or skull crushers with any kind of weight at all, so I stick with heavy v-bar push-downs and occasional CGBP.

Do you train with elbow sleeves? They seem to help me. I also take MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin which really helps me with joint issues.

Hope you heal up soon.

V.I.P.

In Jesus name I pray it gone in the morning my friend. Not only the swelling but the discomfort also. It only takes a mustard seed worth and my friend I have a handful of mustard seeds. When you get up tomorrow you'll know you were healed by the one true God!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reapwhatusow View Post
    In Jesus name I pray it gone in the morning my friend. Not only the swelling but the discomfort also. It only takes a mustard seed worth and my friend I have a handful of mustard seeds. When you get up tomorrow you'll know you were healed by the one true God!!!!!!
    Thanks my brother, hope you had a nice trip to AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
    Damn that looks painful.

I don't get bursitis, just an occasional nasty flare-up of elbow tendonitis. Same as you, Ibuprofen and try to train around it. I've found certain exercises really aggravate the issue--can't do overhead tricep extensions or skull crushers with any kind of weight at all, so I stick with heavy v-bar push-downs and occasional CGBP.

Do you train with elbow sleeves? They seem to help me. I also take MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin which really helps me with joint issues.

Hope you heal up soon.
    Thanks brother, icing it now and yes use compression sleeves, SBD ones.

If the inflammation in your "bursa" (olecranon) is caused by a infection , you may need some antibiotic.

So the best thing to do is get it drained and an analysis of fluid from the inflamed bursa to find the cause of your joint inflammation.. Then in the same injection whole use a corticosteroid drug injection into the bursa. Treatment generally works quickly and in many cases one injection is all you need ! I'd fix you up here.
    I use methylprednisolone acetate-aqueous suspension 0.35 ml every 6 to 8 weeks or longer , slim pin (proximal perarticular/soft tissue injection)

So here's my thought: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^would be great, but probably anit happing..

Apply ice to reduce swelling for the first 48 hours..

Apply dry or moist heat , such as a heating pad or warm bath. Heating pads are a MUST in my word.. Heat will increase blood flow. It will go away pretty quick. If it's not an infection "Antibiotic"

I agree 100% with Big Hoss, he has it down to a science.. I just use heat after 48 hr's

Hope you get better soon my friend and do it right, like BH said, those are the type of injury's YOU DO NOT WANT ,they can put a stop to training real quick and hang around a life time.. '........ AM

IMG_20180323_205749667.jpg

I will continue with ice, heat, and ibuprofen...have not tried heat yet but it has gone down a lot, and when I wake up in the morning it's almost non-existent...just through the day it fills up. I am really doing all I can to stay away from my doctor, I only have her because my girls go to her too and like her, I think she doesn't want to treat gorillas or something, she sees me and thinks freak. I know that is probably just me, but avoiding anyway. I wish you were close AM, would see you lol. Ok so going to get to it...oh, what about topical ibuprofen gel on it? I really don't think infection, wouldn't I be dealing with a fever or signs of infection?