Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carbs and sleep?

carbs and sleep?

SO I have issues with sleep and it seems to peak with summer soltice.
    the last few years I have given up and gone to bed at 830-900 because regardless I wake up at 430 with the dawn
    I also typically trying to loose a few, and cut out carbs...
    the other night went to Mexican takeout and had some rice for the first time in a while and I sleep like a rock.
    SO does carbs help with sleep ?
    I might have been just due for a good night's sleep

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Re: carbs and sleep?

Exhaustion will give you a good night's sleep lol, sounds like you were there. Carbs before bed usually I believe would disrupt sleep, I too go to bed at 8:30-9pm every night, my last two meals are no carb only fish or chicken and veggies. Sometimes I will have nonfat Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein but obviously no carbs in that too, just protein. All you can do is experiment as we all are different and respond to things differently...I need my sleep, if I could have it my way I would get 9-10 hours a night, but that only happens on occasion.
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! (Philippians 4:13)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

Then I looked it up and this is contradictory lol...Carbs which quickly raise blood sugar (those with a high glycemic index) may hasten sleep, especially when eaten four hours before bedtime, the researchers report. Such carbs may boost tryptophan and serotonin, two brain chemicals involved in sleep, the study suggests.

So when they say "such carbs" which are they talking about, low or high glycemic? Again you just need to experiment with it and your body and see, obviously if you want to lose a few pounds carbs before bed I remove for that purpose.
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

HEAD MC MOD - SUPER VIP - Foundation Member - Leader of The Wolf Pack Motherf@#$%ers! ordawg1's Avatar

You guys sleep way more than I do-if I get 5 hours per night it is extreme !! lol-Pops

I gotta tell you.. what usually happens to me is I crash and wake some a few hours later then I am up for an hour or 2 and crash again then get up at 4 or 5 AM
    I would say I am lucky to get 6 hours a night...I just wish it was better timing, people are typically awake at 9 PM, and not at 4:30

Mexican rice is white rice with tomato paste so I would say high glycemic index...

well last night I crashed, and woke at 4 AM , did a bathroom break climbed back into bed and was out cold til 7:30AM
    very refreshing

If I eat before bed (within three hours) I have horrid acid reflux no matter if it's protein, carbs or just an apple. Such fun!

Lately I’ve been having terrible sleep. Waking up at 3:30 on the dot every night and having a vowel movement. It’s driving me bonkers. Stomach problems and orange go hand in hand tho! Making my last meal around 6:30 usually helps quite a bit though. However, sometimes a snack before bed happens and I usually run into trouble. Still for the last week though, 3:30am and it’s time to go. Definitely a season of anxiety though, non stop 24/7 with kids and been home not working since mid March.

The Creepy Crawler: You fall asleep just fine. But then you wake up at an unreasonable hour, maybe 3 or 4am., and no matter how hard you try, you can't fall back to sleep. You may resort to 'creeping' around the house or surfing the internet instead. The technical term for this problem is Sleep Latency Insomnia.

Antenna Head: You climb into bed at a reasonable hour and lie there as your brain becomes an antenna for every thought on the planet. Your head goes into 'rewind' mode as you think about what you should've done, what you might have said, and what you still need to do. Then around 1 or 2 am when you are fully maddened, you might doze off. This is termed Sleep Onset Insomnia.

5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin a hormone thats lifts depression, elevates mood, and promotes good sleep. 5-HTP occurs in your body naturally, but you can also take it as a supplement. You get twice the benefit from 5-HTP, because in the body, it goes on to make both serotonin and melatonin. Serotonin helps improve mood, and melatonin regulates sleep. Great for Creepy Crawlers and Antenna Heads.

Sleep is crucial, human growth hormone (HGH) and insulin growth factor (IGF-1) are typically produced at night. IGF-1 is triggered by the presence of HGH and is released by the liver and skeletal muscles to help build and repair tissues. IGF-1 shares the same receptor sites as insulin, the peptide hormone that regulates carbohydrate and fat metabolism. When insulin is present because you've indulged in a high-carb snack before bed, IGF-1 is pushed aside. Eating carbohydrates at night hampers the muscle-repair process because insulin levels increase, preventing IGF-1 from binding to receptor sites. Avoid eating carbs after your evening meal and try consuming smaller meals low in high-glycemic carbs throughout the day.

3-4 hours before bed: Complex Carbs if you choice. Brown rice is a complex carb..........AM
    Last edited by AnalogMan; 06-14-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
    The Creepy Crawler: You fall asleep just fine. But then you wake up at an unreasonable hour, maybe 3 or 4am., and no matter how hard you try, you can't fall back to sleep. You may resort to 'creeping' around the house or surfing the internet instead. The technical term for this problem is Sleep Latency Insomnia.

Antenna Head: You climb into bed at a reasonable hour and lie there as your brain becomes an antenna for every thought on the planet. Your head goes into 'rewind' mode as you think about what you should've done, what you might have said, and what you still need to do. Then around 1 or 2 am when you are fully maddened, you might doze off. This is termed Sleep Onset Insomnia.

5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin a hormone thats lifts depression, elevates mood, and promotes good sleep. 5-HTP occurs in your body naturally, but you can also take it as a supplement. You get twice the benefit from 5-HTP, because in the body, it goes on to make both serotonin and melatonin. Serotonin helps improve mood, and melatonin regulates sleep. Great for Creepy Crawlers and Antenna Heads.

Sleep is crucial, human growth hormone (HGH) and insulin growth factor (IGF-1) are typically produced at night. IGF-1 is triggered by the presence of HGH and is released by the liver and skeletal muscles to help build and repair tissues. IGF-1 shares the same receptor sites as insulin, the peptide hormone that regulates carbohydrate and fat metabolism. When insulin is present because you've indulged in a high-carb snack before bed, IGF-1 is pushed aside. Eating carbohydrates at night hampers the muscle-repair process because insulin levels increase, preventing IGF-1 from binding to receptor sites. Avoid eating carbs after your evening meal and try consuming smaller meals low in high-glycemic carbs throughout the day.

3-4 hours before bed: Complex Carbs if you choice. Brown rice is a complex carb..........AM
    I am #2 for sure, but cannabis and sex help with the Antenna Mind...last night had an edible, couple of puffs, and sex...triple threat stack lol, slept for 10 hours, 2 pee trips which isn't bad for all the water I drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    Lately I’ve been having terrible sleep. Waking up at 3:30 on the dot every night and having a vowel movement. It’s driving me bonkers. Stomach problems and orange go hand in hand tho! Making my last meal around 6:30 usually helps quite a bit though. However, sometimes a snack before bed happens and I usually run into trouble. Still for the last week though, 3:30am and it’s time to go. Definitely a season of anxiety though, non stop 24/7 with kids and been home not working since mid March.
    Watch out for those vowel problems!