Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: time for a new one ...

time for a new one ...

well my 05 Grand Cherokee has come back from the shop and it is time to replace it.
    I am looking for a new SUV. I got the consumer reports and Jeeps are second to last on the list.
    I looked at the review of the 16 Grand Cherokee and while it is Jeeps best rating, it is still not that great.
    ( on the bright side the 16 is much better that the 14's and previous model years )

plus the JGC is the vehicle that killed the new star trek Checkov, a product defect and it rolled over him.

I have been reading the CR and to be honest , not that impressed. It seems that plain and not good looking is a requirement for a higher rating . Also anyone else think it is strange that they way they break up the categories . I mean they compare cars to other cars at 1/2 the price .. how is that fair. I mean if a car cost twice as much it better be better. explains why lexus on one list is 3 of the top 5..

So what do you guys like ..anyone have a 2016 Grand Cherokee and wish to dispute Consumer reports?
    anyone have an SUV that you really like and can recommend ?

checking out the pilot, 4runner , highlander, BMW are sharp looking. Lexus is ok but rather high.
    I'm open to something reasonable .

what do you guys recommend?

regards
    Xdude
    Last edited by xdude; 10-27-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added line

Re: time for a new one ...

Been in the auto business almost 20 years now since I was a kid.
    Japanese cars rate the highest in consumer reports because they are reliable. However as u noted they are usually plain Jane. They do nothing great looks or performance wise......but they give u far less problems.

All about that give and take.

Bmw has been the pioneer in safety and has pioneered countless safety technologies that all others follow. German cars are known to drive great, great driver to road connection, good power, and be some of the safest cars on the road.

However they are total piles of shit reliability wise. All of them are junk. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Vw.
    Over engineered plastic shit. They are meant to be replaced every few years by rich ppl who lease them every few years.
    Driving any of these cars outside factory warranty you had better be ok with thousand dollars in repairs.

What I like and want from a car is far different then you. I like a 13 second car that looks stock, suspension almost too stiff and take turns like and animal. My wife liked our GMC Acadia ride more then the dodge durrango. She said it was smoother....it is but it's because the durrango has stiffer better handling more nimble suspension tuning. What I like and want is not what she does in a car.

My suggestion is go drive all these cars. See what YOU like. What fits your needs the best? Good power? Good MPG? Good to take dogs places? Good cargo space?

Pick the one u like the drive of the best and fits your budget. Enjoy it and keep it while it's under warranty then get the fuck rid of it! Cars are indispensable junk these days.

If u want to be frugal and save money buying a car then buy a few years old with still factory warranty then dump the car after its out of warranty.
    For instance my brother in law got an 2007 BMW 750 for $43k. Had 17k miles on it. Had several years of warranty left( was years ago now). That was a $80k+ car new. That's how u buy a fucking car right! Or lease

Bmw dropped the free maintenance. It's just free oil Changes now. Used to be free brakes as well. Unless u are cool with $1000 for front brake job.....u don't want a BMW.

The pilot is a slow tird with 0 soul lol. Check out the toyotas and the Lexus of your lineup.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Or.... you can just do it Amish style.... horse and buggy! lol
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

funny you mention Audi they actually made the list of better car brands on CR ( 2nd IIRC) but then looked at some of the prices oooh.

I invest in stocks, hoping to someday retire ,and one of the stories roaming around the Car industry is when the lease vehicles boom will become to be a serious problem. Apparently large number of people are leasing, more than ever before . So shortly they are expecting these not too old used vehicles to trash the used market ..

also I like the police cruiser version of the explorer.. ( not white and black though, although the blue lights are kind of cool )

I have to admit I have been pretty good about saving, the Cherokee was paid off in 08 with a tax refund, and I set it up so I had a fake car payment going into a sayings account. A reminder of how much I was saving every time I got that new car itch to stamp that itch out, and cash available for any repair bills to go with the older vehicle . needless to say there is a nice chunk of change there. I raided it once for an unplanned bill, but that is it . So I have a serious down payment or out right cash.

and these days who pays interest ?

I am a kind of drive it into the ground type guy, but I also just turn 51 and having due for a midlife crisis

No buggy for me BH

recently had a friend show up on a dealer lot with a bicycle , he is a serious rider ( 100 miles a week ) , but his car was just declared junk. He said the saleman were on him with in a minute, and running to beat the other sales man.. LOL ( talk about driving a car into the ground 350K on a corrolla he had since college) just wouldn't die

Biggest advise I could give is don't put money down. Keep your money in the bank for emergency or invest it!
    1000 down is a pathetic $20 a month on a 5 yr loan of $20k
    Would u rather have $5000 in the bank or a lame $100 off your bill for 5 years??

Unless money down moves interest rate a big amount then that can pay but even APR is not as big a diff as people think for the same $20k loan 1 % is only $10 a month difference.

Just my $0.02 from talking to sales guys and asking 3000 questions over the years....I'm a "why???" Kid lol.

like I said the goal of the account was to make me not want a car payment ...it has done it's job. As I said who pays interest these days...

I know enough to optimize the cash flow. Heck even my house mortgage is just over 3 % .
    your right 1k on 20k is nothing, my last loan was for 25k, right now I am looking at 40K

I will put down enough and that is it ..

I was in a waiting room talking about cars and the guy told me a story. he finished negotiating ,and went to the finance guy . he of course was all set and was ready to pay cash . When asked if he wanted to finance , he asked if there was a financing bonus. so he finance through them, and basically got some of what the bank was paying the finance guy.. then paid it off early . not sure if it was worth it , he thought so.

you never said anything about audi's. might go for low mileage used .

time for a new one ...

Quote Originally Posted by xdude View Post
    like I said the goal of the account was to make me not want a car payment ...it has done it's job. As I said who pays interest these days...

I know enough to optimize the cash flow. Heck even my house mortgage is just over 3 % .
    your right 1k on 20k is nothing, my last loan was for 25k, right now I am looking at 40K

I will put down enough and that is it ..

I was in a waiting room talking about cars and the guy told me a story. he finished negotiating ,and went to the finance guy . he of course was all set and was ready to pay cash . When asked if he wanted to finance , he asked if there was a financing bonus. so he finance through them, and basically got some of what the bank was paying the finance guy.. then paid it off early . not sure if it was worth it , he thought so.

you never said anything about audi's. might go for low mileage used .
    I like Audi and Vw a lot. I drive a Vw. With mild aftermarket/ go fast mods u have a fast, fun, great handling car that runs down cars double the cost. The Quattro awd system is very impressive on the Audi .

I get a crazy Audi, Vw, BMW, lease deals through my work so we looked at the Audi Q7 but it's too small for us so we got the Acadia instead. My VW is paid off so we just have wife's car payment.

V.I.P.

My wife and I love my diesel's.

Quote Originally Posted by Layddually2 View Post
    My wife and I love my diesel's.
    what brand?
    audi, bmw, VW , mac truck ,peterbilt?
    Last edited by xdude; 10-29-2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo

V.I.P.

Lol sorry I have a 2012 ram 2500 8"lift wife had a stock 2016 ram 2500 but now I'm using for my work truck.

My 2012 is fast it's deleted with custom tune. Raced a modded wrx all wheel launches are fun.

Wife also had a glk250 its twin turbo diesel damn thing got like almost 50mpg or some shit. But we didn't like it not having a spare tire.
    Last edited by Layddually2; 10-29-2016 at 10:41 AM.