Thread: a lesson I thought I would share

a lesson I thought I would share

So I have been doing back ups to an external drive like you are supposed to . Yesterday morning my Win 10 system had a crashed disk. it is an old system , however it has ssd . if you have an older system and ssd can really give the old system a lot of new life. But I got off subject. the ssd was used when I got it from work ( back when they were incredibly expensive about 5 years ago. now the same drive is less than $50 for 1/2tb) . So it dying was not a complete surprise .

Turns out the default settings for windows back up is to only save documents, pictures and video and that is it .... not downloads. or in my case the big problem was the h and r block software file ( my tax returns ) . So after installing a new drive and new windows I was not able to get them. I went hard core on the old drive and manage to boot it ( I think for the last time) and copy the files off.

So it turns out there is a backup in windows that is the win 7 version ( yeah the old version ) and it will do a system back up ( whole disk) and create a rescue disk for the new hard drive ....

So just a warning, you may not be doing backups as well as you think...

I know that MC is not known for tech stuff like this , but where is this was basically my last 2 days I thought I would hopefully pay it forward

HEAD MC MOD - SUPER VIP - Foundation Member - Leader of The Wolf Pack Motherf@#$%ers! ordawg1's Avatar

Re: a lesson I thought I would share

Thanks for input -Pops

Quote Originally Posted by xdude View Post
    So I have been doing back ups to an external drive like you are supposed to . Yesterday morning my Win 10 system had a crashed disk. it is an old system , however it has ssd . if you have an older system and ssd can really give the old system a lot of new life. But I got off subject. the ssd was used when I got it from work ( back when they were incredibly expensive about 5 years ago. now the same drive is less than $50 for 1/2tb) . So it dying was not a complete surprise .

Turns out the default settings for windows back up is to only save documents, pictures and video and that is it .... not downloads. or in my case the big problem was the h and r block software file ( my tax returns ) . So after installing a new drive and new windows I was not able to get them. I went hard core on the old drive and manage to boot it ( I think for the last time) and copy the files off.

So it turns out there is a backup in windows that is the win 7 version ( yeah the old version ) and it will do a system back up ( whole disk) and create a rescue disk for the new hard drive ....

So just a warning, you may not be doing backups as well as you think...

I know that MC is not known for tech stuff like this , but where is this was basically my last 2 days I thought I would hopefully pay it forward
    Let me ask you something. I had windows 10 put on my home PC and now its all screwed up, email, log on, and its super slow. I tried to due a reset to older days, but it won't go. Any idea what I can do to get it back to Windows 7? My wife had me upgrade it, I wish I wouldn't of.. I guess she heard win 7 wouldn't support outlook mail?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostProfit View Post
    Let me ask you something. I had windows 10 put on my home PC and now its all screwed up, email, log on, and its super slow. I tried to due a reset to older days, but it won't go. Any idea what I can do to get it back to Windows 7? My wife had me upgrade it, I wish I wouldn't of.. I guess she heard win 7 wouldn't support outlook mail?
    hey guy:
    not sure what is going on from your description, however there is a rollback tool for windows 10 back tp 7

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...stallation.%20

if the link doesn't work just google "rollback win 10 to win 7"

however win 7 is EOL and there fore has no security patches since it ended. ( a couple years ago )

I would try first , looking at the task manager and look for some process that is taking way too much cpu
    I suspect you have something running that does not work on 10. looking for something using 100% of the cpu or network

second it could be just patching, windows 10 takes patching seriously and has priority over even the user
    my system is a crawl until the patch is done... leave it on over night and reboot in the morning ... that will give plenty of time to install any patch you need

I actually use Ubuntu Linux mostly, but tax software doesn't run on Ubuntu
    hth

Thanks for the info. It has been upgraded over a month. I downloaded all my photos, and documents on a thumb drive. Going to buy a new Dell or something at Best Buy. I don't know what a patch is, or really nothing on computers. Last time I did a patch was probably on my bike cycle tube. Thanks anyway

from the looks of that doc , the roll back looks pretty simple. but again you are going to an OS that is essentially dead.
    while this sounds complicated , you can create a bootable dvd-r or usb that would allow you to try linux...

great thing about linux is old hardware is not an issue ... heck I know one version that supports the old pentiums from early 2000's

but linux is one of those things that sounds a lot harder than it is