Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: imac vs home pic/macbook vs labtop

Re: imac vs home pic/macbook vs labtop

Viruses are more common on macs these days via many different flash based exploits

It's simply a numbers game with viruses. Hackers had no incentive to create Mac viruses for years due to macs low market percentage. As macs prefentage increased relative to windows hackers have responded by creating viruses at a corresponding rate.

Any more an active firewall and a top notch virus program are mandatory on any machine.

Macs are no where near as safe as they used to be. Maybe a hair safer than windows due to the way their permissions are written.

Mac also does handle viruses much much better due to the permissions as well. They are much less prone to needing to be completely wiped.

V.I.P.
    That's interesting makes a lot of sense though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hey you follow the basics, ie don't go to strange sites... down download from strangers, and stay away from P2P you should be good..
    if you really want to be safe ,,,you can go hardcore with NSA Linux.. that might be too secure though ( I wonder if you can even surf the web with it )
    another option is get a bootable cdrom linux distro,, ( ubuntu , madrivia, mint etc)
    the cdrom is write once and is not going to ever be corrupted. reboot everything is gone.

So security can be higher ... but who is willing to put in the effort?
    my $.02

I'm what you call an 'apple fan boy'. I'm a sucker for their products. I currently own an iPhone, 2 iPads, an Mac book pro and iMac 27"

Intel core i7, asus mobo, big ass graphics card, dual ssd running raid, hi res monitor....all for less than the price of crapple.

being that i have never purchased software in my life ill stick with windows.

Quote Originally Posted by suprfast View Post
    Intel core i7, asus mobo, big ass graphics card, dual ssd running raid, hi res monitor....all for less than the price of crapple.

being that i have never purchased software in my life ill stick with windows.
    You sound like me! One thing to add, 24GB DDR3 :-)
    Guys, the money you spend for an Apple product we can build for you for the half the cost and 150% more power and flexibility!
    Don't do it!

>>BigBones

V.I.P.

I have built numerous hachintoshes. An Apple computer is Overpriced PC hardware at half the power for the price. You can install Mac OS x 10.6 -10.8 on PC hardware with a little bit of research. tonymacx86.com has plenty of advice of compatible hardware. But for gaming Windows 7 is your best option Mac is more of a editing workstation but the card you have to purchase to do editing on Mac is $1500 same card on PC $500. My last Mac/PC build was i7 6 core 32 gb ddr3 2 ssd raid 0 and 2 gtx 680 sli with dual boot windows 7 and Mac OS x Lion

V.I.P.

This is not true with new windows user account control is the same as apple sudo bash. When you select yes accept you are essentially entering root password. If you want more security in Windows just use NTFS folder permissions no virus will be able to access files. Mac updates there security updated just as much as windows does and in both if you use time machine and windows image backup restores are easy and require no refresh installs. Only reason windows gets attacked more then apple is because more businesses use windows then Apple. Why would a hacker wanna make a virus for a OS not as widely used. Sexurity is more your job then OS job put a firewall in your home or office. Viruses only get in if you download them. I never use virus programs and have never had a virus since windows xp.

V.I.P.

^^^^^aBOVE post was ment to reply to this post and agree that windows is just as safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyling35 View Post
    Viruses are more common on macs these days via many different flash based exploits

It's simply a numbers game with viruses. Hackers had no incentive to create Mac viruses for years due to macs low market percentage. As macs prefentage increased relative to windows hackers have responded by creating viruses at a corresponding rate.

Any more an active firewall and a top notch virus program are mandatory on any machine.

Macs are no where near as safe as they used to be. Maybe a hair safer than windows due to the way their permissions are written.