Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best secure email

Best secure email

What do you guys recommend?

VonEric
    Well the most secure thing is to host your own server and have a vpn.. the security issue is that eventually it turns to text.. so if it's encrypted on one side and not the other it doesn't do anygood.. you could pay for a service like securenym.. safemail is ok.. I've heard some things about hushmail that I didn't like. A good pra ctice s to delete all msgs periodically also.. VE

Re: Best secure email

Whenever possible use PGP. (or its open source counterpart, GPG). "Secure" email services only encrypt the web interface (https) , email is always sent plaintext across the internet where anyone can see its full contents.

FBI has been collecting traffic on the internet since something like 1997. They used to use "carnivore," a box they'd put in ISPs that would collect data. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-248762.html

Who knows what they do now. I am SURE it is more encompassing than it was. I wouldn't bet against them collecting almost everything sent, storing it and do what's called "data mining" where they search for key terms like "steroids" etc.

I buy some stuff off silk road, and they really encourage people to use PGP. The process isn't much different than buying steroids (they even sell steroids). From my understanding, only one dealer has ever been busted on SR and that was because he started taking WU instead of bitcoins (cryptographic currency that is untraceable).

Look at it this way, if you send email (from yahoo or hush/safemail or anyone), its like sending a postcard. The sender, recipient, and contents are viewable to anyone who comes in contact with it. PGP is like writing the postcard in a foreign language that noone can read.

I started a thread in another section, I'd definitely give it a read. Basically, don't trust any service. Google, yahoo etc all hand your info over to the DEA and law enforcement without any hesitation. I forget the number but its like 95% requests are fulfilled without any trouble for LEO.

http://www.musclecoalition.org/showt...-and-safe-mail

Here is how long yahoo keeps your info (via backups etc) on page 5:
    https://www.eff.org/sites/default/fi...SN_LEG-DOJ.pdf

Also shows how yahoo tailors itself to the law enforcement community. Wonderful isn't it, they hand over your personal emails on a whim to anyone who asks.

An interesting read...
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...email/1702057/

Just beware that they say in the article:"Google acknowledges that it does receive requests from government agencies around the world to "provide information about users of our services and products," according to a Google policy statement posted online. The company scrutinizes such request to make sure it complies with local laws, and "may refuse to produce information or try to narrow the request." "The information is there for Google to get, but you just can't ask Google for it," Johanson said. "I believe you'd have to get a subpoena or supply enough information as to why they should give you that documentation."

ABSOLUTE BS. They do not scrutinize for crap, they hand over nearly every request without a second thought. This is just spin so users dont feel violated.

hushmail sucks now

safe-mail.net

Quote Originally Posted by 51547518 View Post
    hushmail sucks now
    X2 I use safe-mail myself.

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

x3 on safe-mail.net

Safe-mail here!