I want to discuss conventional deadlifting a bit. Hopefully, this will help some people who are having problems with their pulls….

First, when you are in the start position to deadlift your shoulders should be behind the bar NOT out in front of it. If your shoulders are out in front, that will cause your hips to be high and therefore take your initial leg drive out of the lift. You’ll also notice that if your shoulders are out in front, the bar gets out in front of you and you either have to compensate or you lose the lift.

Second, I see people getting stuck at the top of the lift. You don't extend your back to finish the pull. You get your hips through (shoot your hips). This will make it easier to lock the weight out at the top of the lift and it will also help save your lower back.

Third, there is no reason to hyper extend your back when you finish your pull. It isn't a contest to see who can throw their upper back the farthest behind the bar. That's a recipe for an injury.

When you walk up to the bar, you start with your hips down, back arched, shoulders behind the bar. After that, pull the slack out of the bar (if you're using a DL bar) and lift.

I hope this sheds some light and helps….