PDA

View Full Version : Little bitty Tris :(

Bigmike
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Looking for you opinion on the best workout to grow those Triceps! My Bis trump my Tris and I'd love to work on that while on cycle. A good 20% increase in size w/o stupid shit like synthol would be amazing. As always I'm willing to work for it just push downs, reverse grip pull downs, weighted dips, and skull crushers aren't growing these bad boys any more.:mad:

Bruiser
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Heavy close grip bench press! And what are you using for push downs? Rope or V-Bar? I've found that since switching from low weight/high rep (15-20) using a rope to heavy weight/low rep (8-10) using a V-Bar I have put on a ton of size on my tris.

Bigmike
09-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Heavy close grip bench press! And what are you using for push downs? Rope or V-Bar? I've found that since switching from low weight/high rep (15-20) using a rope to heavy weight/low rep (8-10) using a V-Bar I have put on a ton of size on my tris.

Mostly the Vbar, I'll use the rope at the end and tie it using one hand at a time for a burn.

Lunchbox
09-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I use reverse grip bench. Close grip bench. Dips... and heavy heavy skull crushers. Wrap my elbows on those though.

layddually
09-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I suffer from this as well.

Bruiser
09-25-2012, 11:44 AM
I Kow for me that CGBP and V-Bar pushdowns have done wonders. That's actually all I do for tris since I'm into powerlifting and not bodybuilding. With just those and all the indirect work they get from bench and OHP, my tris have gotten HUGE! The reason I prefer using the V-Bar instead of the rope is becaue I can handle almost twice the weight.

Frustratez
09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
I have been using this lat pull down machine at my gym. I stand up and turn around with my back facing the bar and push that bad boy down with my palms. Its like a machine for beginners so there's no detachable bar that gets all wobbly on you.

zedhed
09-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I work out at home and dont have the press down machines. So I use kickbacks. 2 second count with med reps and French press, lower reps same 2 second count.
I also have used the Reverse Grip Bench Press and like that for my tries.
Im happy with the results that I get.
If your gonna do dips for triceps you wanna keep your bod vertical and your head tipped back a little bit. That will keep the focus on your tries not on your chest. Makes a big diff.

Lunchbox
09-25-2012, 01:44 PM
I work out at home and dont have the press down machines. So I use kickbacks. 2 second count with med reps and French press, lower reps same 2 second count.
I also have used the Reverse Grip Bench Press and like that for my tries.
Im happy with the results that I get.
If your gonna do dips for triceps you wanna keep your bod vertical and your head tipped back a little bit. That will keep the focus on your tries not on your chest. Makes a big diff.

Excellent point on the positioning of the body during dips. I tend to lean forward to much and should definitely work on that.

Skyling35
09-25-2012, 01:59 PM
For me dips did more for my tris than anything. Also my Chest depending on how I did the dips.
Do em like zed said for tris or lean forward more for chest.

Bigmike
09-25-2012, 02:03 PM
I'll definantly start to keep myself up right more when doing weighted dips. That could be my issue right there as I've noticed growth on this cycle but only enough to catch up to my bicep. I would like them to ideally be larger than my Bis of course.

zedhed
09-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Good luck bro. Let us know how they shape up.

CWB
09-25-2012, 06:25 PM
The 2 things that have really improved my tricep size is weighted dips and setting an adjustable bench at a fairly steep incline while using a (I had to look this up) tricep bar. I hammer curl the tricep bar up to my chest, sit on the bench, press it over head, then lower the weight behind my head as far as possible. With my upper arms already pulled back as far as they go I just work from the elbow to straighten my arms to just short of lock out. This is the second thing I do on chest and tri day and the last couple reps still turn into a bit of a pullover. Its my favorite thing I do directly for my tri's.

kazman68
09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Heavy close grips...incline,decline,flat,..and dips with your body held straight up and your legs forward almost like an L utilizing nothing but tri power.

Bigmike
09-26-2012, 09:04 AM
The 2 things that have really improved my tricep size is weighted dips and setting an adjustable bench at a fairly steep incline while using a (I had to look this up) tricep bar. I hammer curl the tricep bar up to my chest, sit on the bench, press it over head, then lower the weight behind my head as far as possible. With my upper arms already pulled back as far as they go I just work from the elbow to straighten my arms to just short of lock out. This is the second thing I do on chest and tri day and the last couple reps still turn into a bit of a pullover. Its my favorite thing I do directly for my tri's.

I have actually seen guys doing this at my gym but never tried it myself. May be a new one I add in. Going to hit shoulders and Tris on Thursday so thanks for everyone's input I have a few new numbers to try for sure.

zedhed
09-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Heavy close grips...incline,decline,flat,..and dips with your body held straight up and your legs forward almost like an L utilizing nothing but tri power.

No bro. Not legs forward that targets chest. For triceps you wanna have your legs str8 or bent at the knees behind you. You wanna get your weight on your back side.

kazman68
09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
No bro. Not legs forward that targets chest. For triceps you wanna have your legs str8 or bent at the knees behind you. You wanna get your weight on your back side.

I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I guess I shouldn't have used L as that is an exaggeration of where I put my legs \ maybe that;'s better not quite straight but I cross my feet and have them slightly in front legs are straight and held together.( upper body is perfectly straight up and down) no leaning forward, I have found doing my legs/feet like that keeps my balance better I also use use the dip bars reverse you could say with my body facing away from the machine elbows close to the body. I should try and take a pic and post it..believe me this nails your tris, at comps I always got alot of positive feedback on my side tri, also like some one else said ez curl bar on the incline bench behind the neck extensions, don't move your elbows, keep your arms locked in place and go behind the head and straight up this really hits the inner head.

kazman68
09-26-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.proactivefitness.com/tricep-reverse-dips.html

but with legs straighter or slightly forward/crossed or whatever is more comfortable. I also lean my body back a little more than in the picture, I have a hard time explaining it but if you've ever done a L on parallel bars or the rings in gymnastics you would have a better idea.

| body
\ legs (straight up and down I go as deep as possible facing away from the machine.)

http://www.proactivefitness.com/tricep-forward-dips.html

again legs straight not bent I cross mine while doing them, and go alot deeper, if I didn't put them slightly forward my feet would be hitting the floor at the bottom of the movment, I do alot of stretching and am very flexible, so I carry my exercises through a fuller range of motion than most guys(good stretch at bottom) and keep arms tucked at sides.

kazman68
09-26-2012, 10:52 PM
kind of a cross between the 2 exercises above again facing away from the machine...sorry..I'm a stickler and I know this movement that I do is responsible for a lot of my triceps mass, a lot of the guys in the gym can barely do a couple the way I do them, or used to lol I'm not sure I could do more than a 1 or 2 the shape I'm in. Sorry again I'm having a hard time explaining it.

zedhed
10-03-2012, 03:37 PM
From the pics your doing what Im saying LOL.....
Anyhow if it works then thats all that counts bro.
Thanks for putting up the pics too man.

Fuelfan
10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Seated behind the head tricep extensions with heavy dumbells works for me quite well and also skullcrushers.

kazman68
10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
From the pics your doing what Im saying LOL.....
Anyhow if it works then thats all that counts bro.
Thanks for putting up the pics too man.

Welcome bro, I do them in a unique way, and it's really hard to explain I guess, when I get in better shape I should post a pic of me doing them at the gym.

Ironguruera
10-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Overhead rope press downs per legend Vince gironda and Larry Scott. These build the head of the tricep that hangs down when u do a front bicep pose. Works like nothing else. Best tricep move in my bag o tricks hands down. Regular rope press downs are very overrated.

Close grip bench works great if done right. U don't need to be 4" apart with the grip. That wrecks wrists. Go Inside the bar knurling, elbows close to torso....u aren't benching u are isolating triceps, last trick here is per Arnold. Do them on a decline bench. I do them
In the decline chest bench with a spotter.

Heavy weighted dips work well if body is straight or legs bent behind you.

I can't upload the pic of Vince gironda doing them. I'm sure if u google Vince gironda triceps it will come up.
It's hands down the best move there is IMHO.

Keep reps around 8-12

kazman68
10-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Overhead rope press downs per legend Vince gironda and Larry Scott. These build the head of the tricep that hangs down when u do a front bicep pose. Works like nothing else. Best tricep move in my bag o tricks hands down. Regular rope press downs are very overrated.

Close grip bench works great if done right. U don't need to be 4" apart with the grip. That wrecks wrists. Go Inside the bar knurling, elbows close to torso....u aren't benching u are isolating triceps, last trick here is per Arnold. Do them on a decline bench. I do them
In the decline chest bench with a spotter.

Heavy weighted dips work well if body is straight or legs bent behind you.

I can't upload the pic of Vince gironda doing them. I'm sure if u google Vince gironda triceps it will come up.
It's hands down the best move there is IMHO.

Keep reps around 8-12

Vince was ahead of his time, a true guru.

Ironguruera
10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Vince was ahead of his time, a true guru.

Man I'm so annoyed it won't let me post this pic I have it right in my phone. I have a like 400page PDF of girondas.
Something about my settings.

I'll try to subdue my tren alpha and figure it out. Gimmie a few.

zedhed
10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Yep love the Gironda!

10-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Super sets and giant sets hit the mark

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Supersets, giant sets, etc never worked well for me. Heavy weight with lower reps (3-8 reps) work best for me when building size. As for exercises, 2-arm oh ext, 1-arm oh ext, CGBP, reverse press, speed bench w/ chains, weight dips, skullcrushers (flat, incline, decline bench), etc.

Ironguruera
10-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Here ya go bro. Finally figured out the damn photo hosting issue. Nearly crushed the phone haha

Gironda the master at work.

This move adds tricep mass when u do a front bicep shot where the tricep hangs down like no other. Larry Scott has a variation of this where u get down on your knees and rest your elbows on a bench.
I like the standing variation better. Play around with different handle/ rope attachments.

NTL
10-07-2012, 03:59 PM
^^^^^^^ These work great.

Vicious 13
10-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Yup I do pull downs w the rope first and then hit those right after burns pretty good do like 5 sets like that

kazman68
10-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Here ya go bro. Finally figured out the damn photo hosting issue. Nearly crushed the phone haha

Gironda the master at work.

This move adds tricep mass when u do a front bicep shot where the tricep hangs down like no other. Larry Scott has a variation of this where u get down on your knees and rest your elbows on a bench.
I like the standing variation better. Play around with different handle/ rope attachments.

Nice, yah that inner triceps is very important in a front double biceps pose. You want that think to hang down like a shark's belly..

zedhed
10-08-2012, 11:53 AM
^^^Nice bro!^^^

Ironguruera
11-17-2012, 02:46 PM
How those tris coming?? U got the shark belly yet lol.

AgentYes
12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
The key with tris is to get your elbows up around your head. Yes like in the pic or a number of other ways skullcrushers etc.