PDA

View Full Version : Fml....tell him or not

Ironguruera
11-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I swear if it wasn't for bad luck my dad would have none lol.

he has been in ny taking care of his mother. She is nearly 90 and was ailing fast cause she wasn't eating cause her caretakers are lazy idiots. He got her up 15 lbs in 2 weeks by cooking her tons of food! Unlike the aids he doesn't except I'm not hungry and simply puts her at the table and makes her eat.

Then enter hurricane sandy. My granny lives right by the ocean and her house flooded crazy. Not sure if the house is save able. My father was a cop and a firefighter and he said he was never so scared in his life and was certain it was his time.

He survived with my granny and has been stuck at a Red Cross shelter for weeks now in utter hell.

My sister got all the paperwork squared away to get her living assistant back home. My dad and granny arrive tomorrow.

I go to his house to get some things in order for the maid we have coming and find the worst possible thing ever!!
My father makes world class guitars, violins, and tools. One of his guitars had fallen off the stand and is fucked up bad! I speculate the entire top is now useless and requires replacement.

No one had been in the house unaccounted for besides me. I have the only keys.

Wtf is the chance of this!?!? Of all the fucking things to break it has to be an instrument?? Anything but those! They take months of countless hours to make.

He arrives tomorrow and I'm torn to tell him I found it laying down or let him find it......

I know him well. This last 3 months ESP this last month have been utter hell for him.

I wish now that I learned his skills. I'd make him a new one! His is a saint of a man! I simply lack the patience he has with tedious work.

CWB
11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Oh brother this sucks. Is there anyway you can pick him up at the airport, or be there as he arrives home. I wouldnt want to tell him over the phone but I wouldnt want him to just have to walk in and see this. Im just thinking if you could find some way to tell him to help prepare him for this it would be better than it coming as a welcome home surprise. I have some idea how much that guitar might mean to him and its going to be heartbreaking regardless of how you handle it. Im sorry for you and your father.

kazman68
11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
I'd tell him myself. in person..that;s a shame..I;m sorry, I love to see hand made craftsmanship, and I'm certain he does amazing work.

Ironguruera
11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks bro!
hmm Im pretty sure my sister bought a limo service to pick them up at the airport.

I will tell him but wouldn't wanna do it right off the plane. My granny has not flown anywhere in ages I'm sure he will be frazzled as hell after the 6hr flight.

I almost cried when I saw it!

Ironguruera
11-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I'd tell him myself. in person..that;s a shame..I;m sorry, I love to see hand made craftsmanship, and I'm certain he does amazing work.

He does! It's insane what he can make out of wood. He makes sick pens of all sorts around the holidays with the lathe we bought him.

I've made some pens with him a few times its a ton of fun.

kazman68
11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
He does! It's insane what he can make out of wood. He makes sick pens of all sorts around the holidays with the lathe we bought him.

That takes so much skill and patience, handcrafted items are a dying thing..maybe he can make a project of repairing it, I just hope he isn't to upset.

Ironguruera
11-10-2012, 06:07 PM
That takes so much skill and patience, handcrafted items are a dying thing..maybe he can make a project of repairing it, I just hope he isn't to upset.

He is a master at repair work actually. He gets work from the local college and symphony doing repairs.

Here is one of his pens. The pic doesn't do it justice. The wood is Purple Heart. It's a gorgeous deep purple. I use it every day at day at work 561

kazman68
11-10-2012, 06:48 PM
He is a master at repair work actually. He gets work from the local college and symphony doing repairs.

Here is one of his pens. The pic doesn't do it justice. The wood is Purple Heart. It's a gorgeous deep purple. I use it every day at day at work 561

Wow nice! My grandfather was into woodworking but now that he is in his 90's he doesn't do it so much anymore, he made some nice stuff. Again, I wish your father the best, he is a skilled/talented man.

Ironguruera
11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
I decided to call him in a bit and tell him. I don't want him to find it like I did.
It really upset me. I can't imagine how he would have reacted.

Ironguruera
11-10-2012, 10:01 PM
So I called him and told him.

He has been through a lot lately. I couldn't let him find it busted up like I did. It really really upset me to find it like that.

Things have a funny way of working themselves out. He said that guitar was fucked anyways from day one and he was going to redo a bunch of stuff on it and that's why it's not sold yet.

glad I told him!

Thanks guys.

kazman68
11-10-2012, 10:27 PM
So I called him and told him.

He has been through a lot lately. I couldn't let him find it busted up like I did. It really really upset me to find it like that.

Things have a funny way of working themselves out. He said that guitar was fucked anyways from day one and he was going to redo a bunch of stuff on it and that's why it's not sold yet.

glad I told him!

Thanks guys.

Good thing about this board seems like brothers really give a damn and are willing to give advice not just on PE but life in general.

red crayon
11-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I understand how your dad must feel. Im very lucky myself but its all bad luck. You made the right choice by telling him before he found it. Its been my experience that honesty and integrity are a couple of things that seem to be missing from most peoples character. lol, If you have these simple things you will become a greater person than most. Usually if I say something, ie at work, thats enough because they know me and that I have a standard I try to adhere to thats above most other peoples standards. It makes me who and what I am. I also enjoy being polite, most people think Im up to something. The reality is that I think being polite and Honest etc. are lost arts that need to be brought back and practiced daily!

kazman68
11-10-2012, 11:58 PM
I understand how your dad must feel. Im very lucky myself but its all bad luck. You made the right choice by telling him before he found it. Its been my experience that honesty and integrity are a couple of things that seem to be missing from most peoples character. lol, If you have these simple things you will become a greater person than most. Usually if I say something, ie at work, thats enough because they know me and that I have a standard I try to adhere to thats above most other peoples standards. It makes me who and what I am. I also enjoy being polite, most people think Im up to something. The reality is that I think being polite and Honest etc. are lost arts that need to be brought back and practiced daily!

X2.. I have had a few women who I dated and opened the door for them when going into a store or restaurant, they look at me like wtf? I asked one lady didn't your ex husband open the door for you? She laughed and said "no he would let it slam in my face" Being a gentleman seems to be a lost art.

Ironguruera
11-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Agreed kaz. Great group here.

BigBones
02-09-2013, 07:45 PM
X2.. I have had a few women who I dated and opened the door for them when going into a store or restaurant, they look at me like wtf? I asked one lady didn't your ex husband open the door for you? She laughed and said "no he would let it slam in my face" Being a gentleman seems to be a lost art.

Sad but true. I look at my peers (mid 20s) and think to myself wowwww... Sometimes it disgusts me how civility has been lost in many ways. I swear, TV reality shows are brainwashing ppl.