PDA

View Full Version : Soy Protein Isolate

neoclassical
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
What do you guys think of Soy Protein Isolate? I found some in the bulk section of my local grocery store and it's 7.99 per pound, which is much cheaper then whey isolate.

Nutrional Info (2oz serving)

pro 30
carb 1.5
fat 1

Anyways, is soy ok? Will I need to up my A.I. dose? ;)

ltyson
01-05-2013, 09:55 PM
I would not chose soy...... I would chose hemp as it is one of the most complete proteins or even a mix of rice and pea and other ones that are out there before soy. I have seen guys say that the soy raises estrogen, but not sure if that is backed by hard science or more bro-science. But I do like hemp for a non-whey source as it is a complete protein, high in fiber and other nutrients.

Ltyson

What do you guys think of Soy Protein Isolate? I found some in the bulk section of my local grocery store and it's 7.99 per pound, which is much cheaper then whey isolate.

Nutrional Info (2oz serving)

pro 30
carb 1.5
fat 1

Anyways, is soy ok? Will I need to up my A.I. dose? ;)

Ironguruera
01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Soy gets a bad rap but soy isolate is good stuff. The most important thing to look for is make sure its gmo free!

however when It comes to protein its all about the amino acid profile. Egg is superior in this regard.

As the other gentlemen mentioned hemp, brown rice, pea are also great sources to look into.

A buddy of mine is a vegetarian BB and came out with his own line but its pricey shit! He is using brown rice and pea iirc.

Another word of mention. I tried soy isolate. I didn't care for the very gritty consistency of the optimum nutritions soy isolate and gave up on soy.

I'm lactose I tolerant. I prefer carnivor( beef protein powder) or egg.

zedhed
03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I think I remember that soy in males raises estrogen levels. Anybody else on this? I think it was on TNation.

exphys88
03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I think I remember that soy in males raises estrogen levels. Anybody else on this? I think it was on TNation.

No, it's not anything to worry about. The propaganda is about soy containing phytoestrogens, which is actually very healthy and is found in many foods we eat, including beer. Here's a list of foods that contain phytoestrogens.

tempeh, linseed (flax), sesame seeds, wheatberries, fenugreek, oats, barley, beans, lentils, yams, rice, alfalfa, mung beans, apples, carrots, pomegranates, wheat germ, rice bran, lupin, kudzu, coffee, licorice root, mint, ginseng, hops, bourbon, beer, fennel and anise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoestrogens

Soy as part of a diet consisting of whole, unprocessed foods can be very healthy. The problem is that people take it too far and think it's a miracle food and eat it at every meal. No single food should be consumed like that. Soy is a legume and legumes are some of the best foods out there; high in protein, fiber, and antioxidants.