PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit

Orange24
02-25-2013, 01:59 AM
I bodybuild and am always trying to get bigger and stronger. I was gifted a free crossfit membership where I live ($165/month). Really nice facility too btw. Best in the city. How would I incorporate this into my week of training? I DO NOT want to get weaker/smaller. I typically train 4 days a week. Heavy lifting. Any suggestions?

mondtster
02-25-2013, 07:44 AM
You would have to go talk to them and do their entry training thing where they judge your level of training (crossfit wise). You will have high volume plyo/cardio days. Then high rep med weight super setted type days which are more like a relay. Then they will usually incorporate a heavy lifting day focusing on one lift each time.

As you advance the level of training does. Which is why the average person their looks like a normal runner type but the advance men and women usually look more built and more cut in and athletic way.

In one month you would prob just make it through with some good heart pounding cardio and such. The Olympic lift will prob be light but high rep. I would get there workout schedule and see what days they are doing each WOD (workout of the day). Use it before or after BB workout to warm up or/and burn cals.

Orange24
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
It only means more calories haha. Sounds so difficult attached to what I'm already doing

ordawg1
02-25-2013, 12:54 PM
It will kick your ASS !! Kinda like Sealfit-is some INTENSE stuff.Makes the Insanity program look like girl scouts.Plus-where you live-the ppl are CRAZY about that stuff LOL-OD

mondtster
02-25-2013, 01:06 PM
If anything on an off day just to burn some cals. But yeah the crossfit thing is more of a regiment change...hard to work in with BB'n. Goes well if you want to lift heavy several days and be conditioned as well. The explosive type exercises they do help with lifts similar to how Westside doea a heavy day and a speed/explosive day just with a shit load of jumping rowing and running.

red crayon
02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I dont know much about this cross fit thing. However Im gonna use this opertunity to voice my opinion on this type of training. Please correct me if Im wrong. In the town I live we have some people who run arobics, boot camp, etc. classes. You pay a monthly fee and get a work out thats based on circuit training with lots of cardio elements worked in to it. If your final goal is to be a body builder or power lifter it doesnt match up very well at all. From what I have seen its a set of classes for people who are to lazy to spend the time to find out how to set up their own exercise program. (mostly Desk Jockies) Yes some people can set up a program on their own and some need a trainer. This group of people wind up looking like someone who is prepareing to run a race, 5K, 10K, marathon. Have you ever seen a body builder or power lifter do that? When I started working out, in 79 or 80, the Natulas system was new, they had just came out with the weight machines and had several gyms that had that and nothing else. That adventure into circuit training was a big waste of my time. After almost 2 years of that I wised up and went to a real gym and left the 24 hour Natulas behind me. Well thats my opinion for what its worth. Again please correct me if Im wrong!

mondtster
02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
I dont know much about this cross fit thing. However Im gonna use this opertunity to voice my opinion on this type of training. Please correct me if Im wrong. In the town I live we have some people who run arobics, boot camp, etc. classes. You pay a monthly fee and get a work out thats based on circuit training with lots of cardio elements worked in to it. If your final goal is to be a body builder or power lifter it doesnt match up very well at all. From what I have seen its a set of classes for people who are to lazy to spend the time to find out how to set up their own exercise program. (mostly Desk Jockies) Yes some people can set up a program on their own and some need a trainer. This group of people wind up looking like someone who is prepareing to run a race, 5K, 10K, marathon. Have you ever seen a body builder or power lifter do that? When I started working out, in 79 or 80, the Natulas system was new, they had just came out with the weight machines and had several gyms that had that and nothing else. That adventure into circuit training was a big waste of my time. After almost 2 years of that I wised up and went to a real gym and left the 24 hour Natulas behind me. Well thats my opinion for what its worth. Again please correct me if Im wrong!

Well kind of. Lots of desk jockeys but they are the same as the new years resolution people in gym....they slowly weed out. From what ive seen from checking it out it all depends on your trainer, box (gym), and what you prefer. Also a lot of them have half ass trainers just trying to join the fad. But I have seen plenty of guys do some pretty impressive lifts. Deadlifts, cleans, snatches, squats, ohp's ect....don't see bench much though. Saw a guy overhead squat 305 and he weighed about 165.

ordawg1
02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Oh-I agree-I LOVE this training-and most of my workouts are now for hiking-rafting- cycling etc.But-my roots and body type are straight up BB !! I have huge arms- delts -wheels etc -and I can look at a weight and grow.I "try" to be more like these crossfit-sealfit cardio ppl and so I am kind of an old ripped BIG GUY !! LOL.I have a ton of respect for these dedicated ppl-triathletes-cyclists and such.I figure if my workout and diet is much like a cardio freak-my body is at east up to the task and I am NOT just BIG.If you are trying to get BIG-use it sparingly.Nowadays -there is something for EVERYBODY and I respect it all-Luck-OD

SisterSteel
02-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Crossfit.... cough cough cough.... now that I got that nasty word out of my mouth here's what I would do. I'd go in there and do GPP work 3x week.

EZ_E
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
I've done both, heavy training years ago when I was young (ahhhh, to be 25 again) and some crossfit now...

IMO they don't mix....

~EZ

Orange24
02-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Crossfit.... cough cough cough.... now that I got that nasty word out of my mouth here's what I would do. I'd go in there and do GPP work 3x week.

Haha what's gpp

SisterSteel
02-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Haha what's gpp

General Physical Preparedness.

You could set it up like a circuit training and that's all CF is. I know many people who would perform light squats, presses, cleans, etc during their off days. You could also throw in there sledgehammer and tire flips. It's a great way to really pick up your conditioning which will allow you to push the pace more so when you're in the gym training.

Wallycn
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
I blame crossfit for the influx of retarded workouts I see going on in my gym. Some guy had set up a few boxes along with some stacks of step stairs and was hoping around on them like it was a game of frogger. I wanted to yell at him and tell him to get the f out of my way, Im actually trying to lift over here. Take that shit to the crossfit gym , shit there are like 5 or more of them now in my area. You may be "fit" but I will still smash your face in a fight......arghhhhhhh!!!! Okay got that off my chest, damn tren!

Fit Guru
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM
My opinion?? Sell the package !!

ordawg1
02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
I blame crossfit for the influx of retarded workouts I see going on in my gym. Some guy had set up a few boxes along with some stacks of step stairs and was hoping around on them like it was a game of frogger. I wanted to yell at him and tell him to get the f out of my way, Im actually trying to lift over here. Take that shit to the crossfit gym , shit there are like 5 or more of them now in my area. You may be "fit" but I will still smash your face in a fight......arghhhhhhh!!!! Okay got that off my chest, damn tren!

Be careful Wally-the lil fucks are fast and can move for a LONG damn time !! lol.Connect EARLY and make it count !! Or-better yet-give them a flyer for the nearset crossfit gym !! OD

red crayon
02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
It depends a lot on your ultimate goal. Were do you want your work out to take you. I have a cousin who is a retired Army Ranger (Thats green beret plus) who loves the cross training stuff. I understand where he is coming from but I have no desire to carry a 90 pound ruck sack 20 miles as fast as I can (He was the radio man in the group he was with. I guess he had to pack that too.). Set your goals and try to stay on track. For a Power lifter, Body builder I think Cross training is a good way to get side tracked.

Oh and the Boot Camp training (lol). They have a class at the gym I go to for that and I saw the two instructors in that calss at the gym about an hour before the class started pumping up in the weight room. lol

chrisotpherm
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
I can't mess with crossfit. The ROM of the exercises and stamina needed for the workout leaves me almost crippled and dragging dead to finish. LOL.

BigBones
03-01-2013, 02:13 AM
I can't mess with crossfit. The ROM of the exercises and stamina needed for the workout leaves me almost crippled and dragging dead to finish. LOL.

Same. The sustained amount of endurance needed across the ever changing workouts makes me gag. It doesn't fit my goals. It's is nice for a power lifter or body builders to get off track / take a break IMO. :-)

>> BigBones

Ebo10
04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Crossfit can be a life saver for some people I guess. At my gym a guy walked in at 405lbs 40%+ body fat in 11mnths on the crossfit program he is down to 245 15% body fat. So... If you got some serious lbs to lose this is one way of dropping it fast. Pretty impressive results that converted a ton of people in my gym over to the crossfit regimen. Not for me! But great challenge for a big population these days

Ironguruera
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
B natural vitamins are also essential for liver organ and abdominal wellness, as well as being efficient in treating depressive disorders, flu and other diseases....

Umm how does this apply to this thread at all?

crossfit is good for ballistic style cardio for off days or just to mix it up. Working it in to a BB routine would be tough except 1-2 days a week I suppose.
Just try not to overtrain.
The nervous system gets really taxed with that crossfit.
Also lots of full body routines in crossfit so its going to be hard to work it in and not mess with your BB training.

Orange24
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
I decided against using it for the time being. Just doesn't work for my goals

Ironguruera
04-08-2013, 11:39 PM
I decided against using it for the time being. Just doesn't work for my goals

Good choice bro! That crap is hell on joints etc. it has its place but not for what u are trying to achieve.

babablacksheep
04-08-2013, 11:48 PM
I have 2 buddies that cross fit together....they're skinny shits but I will say they're ripped to fuckin shreds always @ 5-6% bf....and they have the endurance of a race horse

Orange24
04-08-2013, 11:51 PM
My wife does it. She runs on the weekends too. 15 miles is no problem at all. Its nuts, crazy stamina

Fit Guru
04-09-2013, 05:57 AM
I have 2 buddies that cross fit together....they're skinny shits but I will say they're ripped to fuckin shreds always @ 5-6% bf....and they have the endurance of a race horse

Well no shit their ripped to shreds. That's all it's good for

SisterSteel
04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Well no shit their ripped to shreds. That's all it's good for

Crossfit is nothing more than someone being really good at exercising. They're not really really proficient at any 1 thing. It's like the saying.... jack of all trades, but master of none.

Fuelfan
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I agree! A guy that works in my shop is also a crossfit trainer and always stays shredded. He constantly bitches that he can't gain any weight, I wonder why? Lol I incorporate a lot of what he does into the way I set up my wife's workouts, basically super setting compound movements. Works real well for some but it's just not my thing. I've also saw tons of injuries come out of cross fit.