PDA

View Full Version : Single arm rows

zedhed
05-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Ok do you do em with your elbow tucked against your side or let that elbow fly or do you combine both ways of doing them?
Any pros or cons to either way of doing them?
Lets hear it and thanks bros and sista.:cool:

babablacksheep
05-01-2013, 03:26 PM
It seems for me the heavier the dimbells get the more my elbow flies out....but I get a much better contraction in my lat when I keep em tucked in...it seems when my elbow is out my lowers traps take a brutal beating....bothe are good for hitting different areas

Ironguruera
05-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I let it really hang out in front of me. I tend to keep the elbow close but I concentrate more on the contraction. If I pull from the elbow vs wrist its easy to get a good contraction.

Alot of ppl do this weird arm pump looking thing with this move and forget about that deep lat stretch.

Orange24
05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I let it really hang out in front of me. I tend to keep the elbow close but I concentrate more on the contraction. If I pull from the elbow vs wrist its easy to get a good contraction.

Alot of ppl do this weird arm pump looking thing with this move and forget about that deep lat stretch.

Exactly what I do. @ the bottom of the lift I stretch it out in front of me a bit.

Ironguruera
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Exactly what I do. @ the bottom of the lift I stretch it out in front of me a bit.

I watched an old school video of Larry Scott doing them he narrated the whole process. Made a ton of sense. Dude was way ahead of his time.

SisterSteel
05-01-2013, 08:11 PM
I keep my elbow kinda tucked on the way up but let the db really stretch out the lat at the bottom. I'll even have a little swing depending on if I'm going really heavy (kinda like an overload). You use your lats when you bench, pull, and squat so I don't play around with light weight.

Mattingly
05-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Exactly, I learned from the old muscle mags to have that extension at the bottom of the row with a little forward "swing". My form is always solid but let's not kid ourselves, form is spotless with lighter weights and a little movement/momentum with prime weights is just fine on your heavy set(s).

Manny1983
05-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Tuck them in except on forced reps

zedhed
05-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I watched an old school video of Larry Scott doing them he narrated the whole process. Made a ton of sense. Dude was way ahead of his time.

Any way you could post this up bro?

zedhed
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I keep trying and trying but after I do single arm rows I feel nothing at all in my lats...:(

Ironguruera
05-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Any way you could post this up bro?

If I have a minute zed I will. It's part of his hypertrophy training videos. They are on YouTube but its like 12 vids lol.

Here is the key for most back moves u must learn to pull and focus of the elbow. Don't pull from the hand or wrist. They are merely hooks to hold the weight nothing more. If u focus on sqeezing the elbow and contracting the lats it will happen. Once I got down pulling from the elbow and I felt the lat contract I was like OHHH I got it now!

T bar rows or deads are still a better mass exercise. Db rows are not an absolute must. Plenty of ways to skin the lat cat!

zedhed
05-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks Iron appreciate that.
The deads in always in bro. Thats a Saturday tradition.
Ok I can do a variation of the Tbar rows here at home. But do you grip out in front of or behind the weight on the bar. I will be using a reg bar pushed into the corner. I would guess behind the weight.

This is what Im thinking for my invisible lats...

Bent over 45° angle BBL row to waist
Single arm row on 45° incline bench
Single arm row using folding chair back to support for head. Row to waist. Start out with neutral grip and pronate on the way up so that the knuckles face forward.
Pull ups 2-3 sets to exhaustion add weight when I get to 3 sets of 10.

Comments?

Ironguruera
05-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Behind the weight is where I grab. I like it old school and just hold the bar. At the golds I go to they have a sweet hinge bolted to the floor u slide the bar into. It's real nice.

SisterSteel
05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DjsU10leQ

Orange24
05-04-2013, 11:52 AM
That's exactly how I do it ^

zedhed
05-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Very nice.
Thanks suga!