PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather's truck is finally finished.

chrisotpherm
06-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Just had to share a few pics of my grandfather's truck finally being complete.

Me and my grandfather were very very VERY close and I loved him so dearly. When he went to be with Lord I was in iraq and I was crushed. I bought his truck from the life estate about three years ago and have done a lot and I do mean a lot of work to get the baby back running right. Now that all that waz done I moved on to the final crown to honor him. I have never painted an automobile before in my life however my dad did and was one of the best in the business. He helped with the bodywork as I said I had no clue. He showed me how to prime, then I took over then showed me how to paint then again tool over.

Quicl note: my grandfather had a salvage yard as well as painted and he is the one who showed my dad everything he knows.

My father said as I took over he reminded him of my grandfather as I moved and painted just like him. He said my grandfather was a natural and he then turned to me with tears in his eyes and said "son I never had the abilities like your grandfather did and you boy looked just like him. Your grandfather woulf have just laughed today and said you are my grandson because you got the natural ability". I couldn't hold back the tears and just sobbed as I miss my grandfather so much and another statement when my dad said " I just sat in my chair so proud of my son as he reminded me of one of thr best men I have ever known".

I painted it crystal shine red, acrylic enamel paint. I only had one run on the right front fender of which I have got to wet sand and buff with rubbing compound. Still trying to figure out how to do but I will figure it out. My pops would have helped me but he had been here for a week and had to get home to take care of my mom. Anyways before I get anymore tears on my key paid, here she is!!!

chrisotpherm
06-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Few more of her.

Also if anyone knows how to wet sand run out plesse help me!!!!

Encino_Mang
06-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Sweet......................who's spray booth?

Manny1983
06-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Looks nice bro.

Water and 1k grit I thought?

chrisotpherm
06-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Sweet......................who's spray booth?
We have a spray booth on post that we can use for a fee which final price varies on how long we use it.

Looks nice bro.

Water and 1k grit I thought?

I have heard this too, but have seen videos using 2k grit. Wish someone was close enough to me to freaking show me. LOL. I I were to mess this up I would cry.

MuscleAddiction
06-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Nice brother!!! Has to feel real good!!!

chrisotpherm
06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Nice brother!!! Has to feel real good!!!

Very much so man. I had to hold back the tears as I was spraying man. Was very emotional as all the memories of my grandfather were going over and over in my head.

iwrkout
06-24-2013, 02:18 PM
I didnt know you sprayed it yourself, looks good!

bigcivic
06-24-2013, 03:26 PM
wet sand that run with 1000 then 1400 finish with a buffer

theestone
06-25-2013, 02:09 AM
Thanks for sharing that story. That had to have felt good to hear.

And thats really cool that you have access to a spray booth!

HandyHeavyLifter
06-25-2013, 12:06 PM
I thought you ment finished as in broke. This is a much better story.

chrisotpherm
06-25-2013, 02:02 PM
I didnt know you sprayed it yourself, looks good!

Sure did. Talking about high anxiety levels as it was the first time ive ever done it. Lol.

chrisotpherm
06-25-2013, 02:04 PM
wet sand that run with 1000 then 1400 finish with a buffer
Thanks bro. I will knock it out next week.

Thanks for sharing that story. That had to have felt good to hear.

And thats really cool that you have access to a spray booth!
Thanks and yes it is nice. Having the ability to look at your pride and joy and knowing you did it makes you proud.

I thought you ment finished as in broke. This is a much better story.

Lol. This truck will run until im dead.