PDA

View Full Version : Body Building vs Power Lifting

red crayon
07-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Whats the difference between the two? Can I do both? Is it safe to try and do both?

Whats your opinion? I know what I think but maybe I can get a bunch of new Ideas. Maybe we can help someone prevent an injury here.

Orange24
07-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Sis will have some good insight here.

Depends on what you enjoy more. Powerlifting has produced some BIG dudes.

Encino_Mang
08-01-2013, 12:10 AM
I love PL but now that I'm older I tend to get injured more lifting triples and singles......I fucking hates reps but that and clean eating are better for me.......but back to the question yes you can do both.....didn't SS post some power lifter that was strong and cut too?

red crayon
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Im surprised there arent more replies to this thread.

I think that you can do both Pl and BB. A good example is a BodyBuilder named Johnnie Jackson. I think I saw a video presentation by Dave Tate and he talked about doing both. What you have to do is cycle your work outs so that you are working toward your next competition be it PL or BB. PL requires that you work toward getting max power out put and BB requires that you get the best muscle shape. The work outs are very different for these. Thats where the safty factor comes in. You will have trouble getting great legs, as an example, with crazy cuts by doing max singles. On the other side of it you will have to give up some of the power a PL has to get max muscle definition. I will leave it there for now. I was hopeing Sister Steel could enlighten us on some of the differences between the two because I believe she has done both of these.

Encino_Mang
08-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Powerlifters Kazmaier, Estep and Kroc all pretty good physique

gdl-labs
08-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Body builders look big in silk shirt...power lifter look big in a hoodie...lol

dust06
08-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Mariusz Pudzianowski from Poland is one bad ass mutha ripped and won 5 world strong man comps

dust06
08-01-2013, 10:54 PM

neoclassical
08-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Many advanced and even elite bodybuilders aren't that strong, while every advanced powerlifter is fucking strong. Not saying all bodybuilders are weak either...ron coleman comes to find. Coleman was very strong in his prime. Nasser was as well. I grow on gear and make progress when I'm training for the pump, and really paying attention to the muscle being trained. Throwing in heavy squats or deadlifts here and there is fun, but I grow just the same using slow negatives and training for that pump. For beginners just getting started and/or individuals not on gear, heavy compound movements are important for building/maintaining lean tissue. The more advanced an athlete becomes in either sport, the more one's drug/diet/training is tailored to that specific individual.

chrisotpherm
08-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Of course you can do both but was is the bottom line goal. The look or power?

Now ive seen quite a few bb who will supplement PL in with their BB regime but very rare if ive ever seen a PL supplement bb technique into their regime as their purpose isn't for looks but power and strength only.

I believe as a bb you should incorporate pl into bb in order get to heavyweight range and build size. However I don't believe you should do this for more than 2-3mnths max and then incorporate regular bb workouts in order to define the size obtained during this period.

The benefits will be added size and strength. Strength will allow you to perform higher reps with more weight that you normally wouldn't be able to do sticking to basic workouts.

SisterSteel
08-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Whats the difference between the two? Can I do both? Is it safe to try and do both?

Whats your opinion? I know what I think but maybe I can get a bunch of new Ideas. Maybe we can help someone prevent an injury here.

The textbook answer is this.....

Bodybuilding is about aesthetics, lines, symmetry, proper proportion, and of course hypertrophy. You want to become as big as possible while maintaining everything in proper proportion and symmetry.

Powerlifting is about one thing... lifting the heaviest weights. At the end of the day all that matters is how much you lift properly. It's not about how you look, if your calves are in proper proportion with your biceps. None of that matters.

Can you do, of course. Many do both to a degree. They'll perform their PLing movement in the beginning performing sets and reps which will help them become the strongest version of themselves. After, they'll perform lifts for hypertrophy because many believe if you have a larger muscle it's easier to handle a heavier load. The weight is distributed over a larger area (bigger muscle) making it easier to perform the lift.

Many of the top Elite Powerlifters look like Bodybuilders. Just look at Sam Byrd or Dan Green.

SisterSteel
08-02-2013, 11:44 PM
I love PL but now that I'm older I tend to get injured more lifting triples and singles......I fucking hates reps but that and clean eating are better for me.......but back to the question yes you can do both.....didn't SS post some power lifter that was strong and cut too?

Yes, I did. His name is Dan Green. There are many many more out there. The idea that powerlifters are fat slobs who eat anything is a thing of the past. Look at Justin Harris (a good friend of mine), Mark Bell, Dan Green, Sam Bryd, and those are just a few.

Orange24
08-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, I did. His name is Dan Green. There are many many more out there. The idea that powerlifters are fat slobs who eat anything is a thing of the past. Look at Justin Harris (a good friend of mine), Mark Bell, Dan Green, Sam Bryd, and those are just a few.

Justin Harris has absolutely amazing delts...insane body. That's what I'd go for right there

SisterSteel
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Justin Harris has absolutely amazing delts...insane body. That's what I'd go for right there

He definitely has an amazing look. He was sponsored by Optimum Nutrition back when he was competing in bodybuilding. He was in a few ads of their's.

MuscleAddiction
08-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Powerlifters Kazmaier, Estep and Kroc all pretty good physique

Where is Pujanowski? I thought he had the best physique of power lifters, plus he had the speed and endurance.

MuscleAddiction
08-03-2013, 01:03 PM
The textbook answer is this.....

Bodybuilding is about aesthetics, lines, symmetry, proper proportion, and of course hypertrophy. You want to become as big as possible while maintaining everything in proper proportion and symmetry.

Powerlifting is about one thing... lifting the heaviest weights. At the end of the day all that matters is how much you lift properly. It's not about how you look, if your calves are in proper proportion with your biceps. None of that matters.

Can you do, of course. Many do both to a degree. They'll perform their PLing movement in the beginning performing sets and reps which will help them become the strongest version of themselves. After, they'll perform lifts for hypertrophy because many believe if you have a larger muscle it's easier to handle a heavier load. The weight is distributed over a larger area (bigger muscle) making it easier to perform the lift.

Many of the top Elite Powerlifters look like Bodybuilders. Just look at Sam Byrd or Dan Green.

Would be cool if we could all train at the same gym, the MC Gym with all this extensive knowledge on every aspect of this lifestyle...from me to you Sis, I have so much admiration and respect for you girl...you are one of THE biggest assets to this forum. Hope training is going well as always!!!

MA

dust06
08-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Where is Pujanowski? I thought he had the best physique of power lifters, plus he had the speed and endurance.

1487I posted a pic of Pujanowski but here it is again not to mention he is also a mma fighter imagine getting punched in the face by him

Darlin'Nikki
08-03-2013, 06:52 PM
1487I posted a pic of Pujanowski but here it is again not to mention he is also a mma fighter imagine getting punched in the face by him

Yeah...he was fun to watch!!! I wouldn't want to get in the cage with him...no thanks!!!

MuscleAddiction
08-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah...he was fun to watch!!! I wouldn't want to get in the cage with him...no thanks!!!

LMAO...oops!!! Posted this under my wifes screen name lol!!!

Lujannoe
08-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Would be cool if we could all train at the same gym, the MC Gym with all this extensive knowledge on every aspect of this lifestyle...from me to you Sis, I have so much admiration and respect for you girl...you are one of THE biggest assets to this forum. Hope training is going well as always!!!

MA

That would be awesome