PDA

View Full Version : Squatting

chesty
12-11-2013, 01:50 AM
About year and a half after using L5 to S1, I am Squatting again, no pain and strength up and i feel more stable.

chrisotpherm
12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Great news man. I know your happy bro.

OldGoat
12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Congrats. I am a L5/L4/S1 surgery survivor, hahahaha! And I have squatted 600lbs. They said I would never lift again and wanted to med board me out of the military. That was in 2002. I finished off my carreer and fully retired on my terms, and got back into lifting and have competed in a full PL meet. You can do this brother! Congrats on no pain!

SFDan
12-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Great news! I read an article about a guy that had pylon fractures in both. Ankles and legs. Docs told him he would never be able to walk. He started crawling to get his strength back, then body weight squats and eventually he added weight. The bones rehabilitated so well that they began expelling all the hardware they'd put in to hold everything together which had to be removed. He's now a power lifter. I'll find the link and post it if anyone is interested.

Encino_Mang
12-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Awesome.......squats are the king of all lifts!

chesty
12-12-2013, 05:12 AM
yes, interested. squats are king and the most brutal exercise I know of if done properly, puke bucket is awesome!

Encino_Mang
12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
yes, interested. squats are king and the most brutal exercise I know of if done properly, puke bucket is awesome!

A nice hot gym and sets of 20 vomit squats!

SFDan
12-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I'll look for it and get back to you.

SFDan
12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Ok, here you go. If you have trouble getting the article from the link, google:
Barbell training as rehab brian jones story
It will take you to it as well.
Good luck.

URL:http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/barbell_training_as_rehab

SisterSteel
12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
That's great that your able to squat again. No other leg movement better than squats for leg strength and overall leg development.

MuscleAddiction
12-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice to hear Chesty...although I am going to move this thread into the training section. Keep working those squats...try doing 190-200 bodyweight squats in a row, those are fun and a great warm-up.

chesty
12-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Move away :-) squats also help build the entire body

red crayon
12-14-2013, 09:43 PM
I like to do squats! Its kinda weird but I cant ever squat heavy enough. I always want to add another 50 pounds, lol.

chesty
12-15-2013, 12:57 AM
squats are getting better. it's amazing how the back surgery fixed things. I never expected this good a recovery. why my doc c gets 140K for the surgery. I'm sure between anesthesiologist, nurses hospital, etc the surgery was at least $250,000!.

im just cautious in my lifts now paying real close attention to my body and stopping if anything feels even the slightest off. 10 years ago I would have ignored it and it took 13 orthopedic surgeries for me to catch on, lol. now I'm 98% and I'm not gonna screw that up.

zedhed
12-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Thrilled to hear that your getting back into the swing of it bro.

smoovy
12-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Anyone use squat shoes? Those things CHANGED my life! Had to give up squatting for a bit cause it hurt my back so much. Got them shoes and now I'm g2g.

Dude, puke bucket! Last week I felt all sick after squatting, got home and ran to the toilet.. thats what I call a good squat day.

SisterSteel
12-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Anyone use squat shoes? Those things CHANGED my life! Had to give up squatting for a bit cause it hurt my back so much. Got them shoes and now I'm g2g.

Dude, puke bucket! Last week I felt all sick after squatting, got home and ran to the toilet.. thats what I call a good squat day.

I only squat in Olympic shoes......in my Nike Romaleos. I also overhead press and bench in them. The difference is greater than night and day.

chesty
12-30-2013, 02:45 AM
I have tight Achilles tendons and loose ankles so I squat in either combat boots or hiking boots. but with back fixed I seem to be more balanced than ever!

drkmn1
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM

I never knew they made such a thing... Just an old-fashioned pair of converse for me for squat day...

zedhed
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Personally I like DLs over squats in general. Concentrating on perfect form.

Encino_Mang
01-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Personally I like DLs over squats in general. Concentrating on perfect form.

I love deads myself as much as squatting, I just wish I could pull more than a 4th grader

zedhed
01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Yeah I know what you mean bro. But teaching myself to do it right this time around and getting my hips DEEP.

smoovy
01-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Something else that's been changing my life is practicing mobility. Kelly Starrett has some great videos all over youtube. Squat shoes and mobility WOD is saving my back. I couldn't do squats for a time because it caused me so much pain, end up taking vicodin for a couple days after squats it was so bad.

Here's an example:
Pre-mobility WOD I couldn't squat down to the ground flat footed and feet forward w/o falling backwards, and I mean with no weight or anything. Now doing mobility WOD I can squat down to the ground flat footed and chill down there. And my back pain is slowly fading, literally the first time in yrs I don't have pain.

And just in case you guys do look it up, the bands and lacrosse balls make a HUGE difference, the bands are necessary for the mobility, the bands are what made the difference for me.

I LOVE squat day now.

zedhed
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Yep the boys on WOD rock big time bro. Gr8 site.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/