PDA

View Full Version : Five Tips For Training Calves

mondtster
07-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Five Tips to Help You Grow Your Calves

by Charles Poliquin 3/27/2012 2:48:38 PM

Tip 1: Start Your Workouts with Single-Leg Calf Raises with a Dumbbell The single-leg calf raise with a dumbbell is the best bang for your buck exercise for the plantar flexors. Not only does it recruit the gastrocnemius and soleus, single-leg calf raises also recruit the flexor hallucis longus muscle, which has been shown to enhance sprinting speed when developed. To make this exercise more effective, make sure you hold the dumbbell on the same side as the working leg. In the bottom position, squeeze the glutes of the working leg because it will further increase the fascial stretch, promoting more growth.

Tip 2: Isometrically Fire the Tibialis Anterior in the Bottom Eccentric Portion of Calf Raise Here is a simple trick for all your calf extension exercises. When you reach the bottom position of the eccentric lowering phase, isometrically contract the tibialis anterior muscle that is on the front of the lower leg. This will increase the pre-stretch on the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles, automatically activating more motor units in the following concentric contraction of the plantar flexors. The more muscle fibers you recruit, the greater the growth

Tip 3: Stretch the Calves Properly Do the following stretches before every calf workout: First, evaluate your marker of flexibility by squatting down with an empty barbell on your back. Once you reach the bottom position, pay attention to your body mechanics by assessing the angle of your shin in relation to the floor.

Then proceed to stretch your calves maximally. The standard static calf stretches just won’t cut it. You will need the extra resistance provided by weight machines. The best way to stretch your calves is to use two calf machines: typically, the standing one and the seated one.

First get under the pads of the standing calf raise machine. Lock your knees. Lower your heels as low as possible while keeping your knees locked. This will insure that both the soleus and the gastrocnemius are fully stretched. If you unlock the knees, the gastrocnemius will not receive a full stretch. Hold the stretch for a full 15 seconds. Bend you knee to lower the shoulder pads, and take a five second break during which you increase the weight by 2 to 3 plates.

Repeat the stretch-rest-add weight process for another 3 to 5 reps. Then proceed to the seated calf raise machine to give your soleus muscles a greater stretch. Use the same training methodology for the stretching: hold the stretch for 15 seconds, rest 5 seconds, add weight, etc., for a total of 5 to 6 reps.

By this time, your calves should have achieved their maximum length for the day. Then go back to the squatting rack and test your flexibility marker again. If your knees are moving farther than before your stretching routine, your calves were certainly limiting your range of motion.

In any case, looser calves will allow you to squat with a more upright trunk posture, reducing the stress level on your knees and lower back.?

Tip 4: Try the 36 Special! Most trainees neglect their calves, especially those from New Jersey who carry elastic bands to pump their 11-inch arms in the men’s room of the local dance clubs. These are the same dweebs who go twice a week for sprayed-on abs at their local tanning salons, as recently reported in the peer-reviewed publication, Journal of Situational Delusional Guidos.

In all seriousness, you don’t often find a line to use the calf machines. If your calves are too thin to clean the barrel of 0.22 caliber rifle, I’ve got just the solution. It’s called the 36 Special!

After a good warm up, take a weight heavy enough so that you can only complete 12 “bottom-range reps” on the standing calf machine. Bottom-range reps are the range from the bottom stretched position to where the feet are parallel to the floor. Use a 13X0 tempo.

Now, decrease the weight about 20 to 25 percent, and immediately do 12 reps on 10X0 tempo using a full-range of motion. Add another 10 to 15 percent to the weight and do 12 bottom-range rep using a 16X0 tempo (yes, you are going to stay in the bottom position for 6 seconds!). Take a 2-minute rest, then repeat.

Then move to the seated calf raise and complete 3 sets of 20 to 25 reps, using a 20X0 tempo, resting only 60 seconds between sets. Of course, you will have to decrease the weight each subsequent set.

Tip 5: Train the Tibialis Anterior If your tibialis anterior is weak, it inhibits the strength and growth of the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles. Supersetting the plantar flexors with the dorsiflexors is another way to accelerate growth in the calves.

The best device built to train the dorsiflexors is the tibialis anterior machine by Atlantis (see video below). Use it, and you’ll get big calves.

Athletes who jump a lot and have to produce high force with the plantar flexors, such as volleyball players, are going to benefit greatly from doing this exercise because they are more likely to suffer from a structural balance deficiency in the dorsiflexors.

zedhed
07-07-2012, 02:12 PM
I love these posts bro. Keep up the gr8 work man!
I workout at home so the only calf work that I do is the first one that he discusses. It works! I love the single legged calve dbl raise cuz it just plain works.
I suppose that I could put the BBL across my shoulders and work the upper range and continue to the single leg dbl rasises too. Just might give that a shot...oh yeah I do the single leg dbl raises off of an elevated platform so I do get the full ROM from it at any rate.

Rayca
07-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Mama like. Love working calves with high weight/low reps on standing calf machine. Don't see the video for that Atlantis machine. Nice info.

exphys88
07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
I had to stop training calves. My mountaineering has made them ridiculously huge. If only I had that problem w my shoulders.

Rayca
07-10-2012, 05:39 PM
I had to stop training calves. My mountaineering has made them ridiculously huge. If only I had that problem w my shoulders.

So that's all I have to do is climb mountains to get good legs?:D It probably works different for women? I'm not much for outdoor exercising but I'd like to do something different.

zedhed
07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Mama like. Love working calves with high weight/low reps on standing calf machine. Don't see the video for that Atlantis machine. Nice info.

Single leg calve raises with a dbl. Dbl on working leg side.
Sets 10, reps 3, (10x3)
2 seconds up and 2 seconds down.
That 3rd rep you should not be able to finish completly.
By your 10th set you should be cursing and sweating massivly, as in puddles on the floor and of couse hobbling not walking.
Enjoy!

czarben
07-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I like to do calf raises on a bench between sets of standing dumbbell calf raises. This allows for an extra stretch when you make your heels go below the bench.

Rayca
07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Single leg calve raises with a dbl. Dbl on working leg side.
Sets 10, reps 3, (10x3)
2 seconds up and 2 seconds down.
That 3rd rep you should not be able to finish completly.
By your 10th set you should be cursing and sweating massivly, as in puddles on the floor and of couse hobbling not walking.
Enjoy!

This I must try. I keep forgetting about single leg work.

xpand
07-15-2012, 06:57 PM
have to try this out for sure!

SPECIALFORCE
07-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks again

Gettingtoobigformydesmo
08-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Excellent thread.

Aryan
08-23-2012, 05:12 AM
I assume that I could put the BBL across my back and perform the higher variety and keep the individual leg dbl raises too. Just might give that a taken...oh really I do the individual leg dbl increases off of an raised foundation so I do get the complete ROM from it at any amount.

gym memphis (http://memphisadventurebootcamp.com/)

Bruiser
08-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Great read! Here's a few things for the people who train at home to help with them too.

1. Weighted vest, backpack. I throw a 25 or 45 lb plate in a backpack and then mow our half acre lawn with a walk behind mower. I'll wear it around the house too. Added weight to your body will grow the calves. Ever see an obese guy with skinny calves? No!

2. My favorite is one I call the "Veal 300". It's HIGH reps/low weight. Pick up a set of DBs (you'll need to figure out a good weight, probably under 40 lb DBs). Get a 2x4 and place on the ground. With your toes on the board and heels on the ground, do 25 reps with your toes forward, 25 with your toes pointed out and 25 with your toes pointed in. Rest for 1-2 min and repeat. Continue for 4 sets. When done you will have done 300 reps of various toe position calf raises. And you won't be able to walk for 2-3 days without screaming.

10-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Just keep hitting them, 2 times a week

mryar
11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I play basketball with ankle weights, and also use leg press machine to work my calves. I used to do explosive raises in the smith machine but I switched over to the leg press machine for calf raises.

Vicious 13
11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Skating for 15 years really made for strong calves

Bruiser
11-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Skating for 15 years really made for strong calves

Hells yeah! Some of the best calves in the world are on old sk8rs! I've got quite a few friends that went from skateboarding into weight training (myself included) and everybody always wants to know our secret to huge calves! Lol

Vicious 13
11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Lol... Yea also great for exploding it's like the are used to just waiting for me to give that burst like I'm going to Ollie... I can also jump much higher than most people I've always liked box jumps its like olling on to a table :) I know BMx riders w the most gnarly quads big powerful and that fucker can run FAST...I have the 200m record at my high school and he smokes me, glad he went to continuation school lol and yea only 200m I'm ok I'm the 100m but it takes me some time to get going I guess, that and I'm real good out the turn

layddually
11-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Hahaa how many ex skaters we have here? My calves are bigger than my bi's.

Bruiser
11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
EliteFTS needs to sell a skateboard and call it a "Calf Blaster"...

layddually
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Great read! Here's a few things for the people who train at home to help with them too.

1. Weighted vest, backpack. I throw a 25 or 45 lb plate in a backpack and then mow our half acre lawn with a walk behind mower. I'll wear it around the house too. Added weight to your body will grow the calves. Ever see an obese guy with skinny calves? No!

2. My favorite is one I call the "Veal 300". It's HIGH reps/low weight. Pick up a set of DBs (you'll need to figure out a good weight, probably under 40 lb DBs). Get a 2x4 and place on the ground. With your toes on the board and heels on the ground, do 25 reps with your toes forward, 25 with your toes pointed out and 25 with your toes pointed in. Rest for 1-2 min and repeat. Continue for 4 sets. When done you will have done 300 reps of various toe position calf raises. And you won't be able to walk for 2-3 days without screaming.

#2 you have listed is a mother. My trainer had me do this yesterday I am hurting.

Bruiser
11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
#2 you have listed is a mother. My trainer had me do this yesterday I am hurting.

Hahaha, sorry. Lol

zedhed
12-02-2012, 12:09 PM
you guyz that do #2 consistantly, how does it work for you?

Bruiser
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Real damn good. Lately though I don't train calves directly. When I do heavy deads, static holds or shrugs I'll do some raises while I'm holding the bar. But I don't really set aside time to hit them.

JTH250
12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
i feel like i have tried everything for my calf with no results..i will have to give this a try

Ironguruera
12-02-2012, 02:10 PM
i feel like i have tried everything for my calf with no results..i will have to give this a try

Calves are resilient endurance based dense muscle.

I have genetically shit calves. I've made decent improvements lately by following tips a npc buddy gave me.

Giant sets for the win with varied foot postions. I've read changing foot positions doesn't matter but I like u have tried it all over the years.

So here's what he has me do. Start with weight u can do 12-15 reps. Do one foot position as many reps as u can then without rest swap to heel pointed in or out and go to failure again. Then do the last foot position until failure. Now don't worry about those last 2 sets reps wise. Just go to failure.
That's 1 giant set! I usually do 4-5 sets.
You should be on fire and mega pumped when u are done....if not dig down deeper and fucking go for it mercilessly.

As an alternate to spice it up I do mega high reps and top or bottom range only. The mega high rep sets I try to do 100...yes 100 reps. Usually just bodyweight on the stairs at home. Do like 3 sets of as close to 100 as u can. That creates a good pump as well. The partial range moves are fun mix up as well I got from Arnold's book.
Also try sloooow negatives.

I try to do calves 2 times a week. One time I do standing work to work the upper muscle. Then the 2nd day I do seated to work the soleus. Don't neglect seated. I feel I get the most out of seated. Gives u a wider sweep of muscle down low and the soleus muscle wraps under the upper gastronemus and makes those pop more as well. I do the giant sets for seated as well.

I forewarn u...take it easy 1st few sessions cause u will have never in your life felt muscle soreness like this lmao.

If u pound em like that and they don't grow....synthol or implants lol.

I get annoyed when guys that already have calves say oh its easy to build em.....yeah when u start with something it is lol. My buddy has insane like 18 huge full muscle bellies.....he does nothing for them....bastard.

layddually
12-02-2012, 02:43 PM

As I start getting more reps my trainer plans to add chains around my neck.

kazman68
12-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Calves are resilient endurance based dense muscle.

I have genetically shit calves. I've made decent improvements lately by following tips a npc buddy gave me.

Giant sets for the win with varied foot postions. I've read changing foot positions doesn't matter but I like u have tried it all over the years.

So here's what he has me do. Start with weight u can do 12-15 reps. Do one foot position as many reps as u can then without rest swap to heel pointed in or out and go to failure again. Then do the last foot position until failure. Now don't worry about those last 2 sets reps wise. Just go to failure.
That's 1 giant set! I usually do 4-5 sets.
You should be on fire and mega pumped when u are done....if not dig down deeper and fucking go for it mercilessly.

As an alternate to spice it up I do mega high reps and top or bottom range only. The mega high rep sets I try to do 100...yes 100 reps. Usually just bodyweight on the stairs at home. Do like 3 sets of as close to 100 as u can. That creates a good pump as well. The partial range moves are fun mix up as well I got from Arnold's book.
Also try sloooow negatives.

I try to do calves 2 times a week. One time I do standing work to work the upper muscle. Then the 2nd day I do seated to work the soleus. Don't neglect seated. I feel I get the most out of seated. Gives u a wider sweep of muscle down low and the soleus muscle wraps under the upper gastronemus and makes those pop more as well. I do the giant sets for seated as well.

I forewarn u...take it easy 1st few sessions cause u will have never in your life felt muscle soreness like this lmao.

If u pound em like that and they don't grow....synthol or implants lol.

I get annoyed when guys that already have calves say oh its easy to build em.....yeah when u start with something it is lol. My buddy has insane like 18 huge full muscle bellies.....he does nothing for them....bastard.

I agree I have always done varied toe position, reps from 6-100 static holds at the top for as long as possible, parillo shit squats you have your feet hang off the edge of a piece of equipment, I like the incline bench using the spotters platform, and I can hold on to something. Squat all the way down like you were taking a shit,and rise up as high as possible on your toes, really hits the soleus, I usually finish with these and weightless calf raises, our Y doesn't have a standing calf, so I have been experimenting on the smith machine. Put a platform down so your heels will hang all the way off, getting a full rom, position the bar as you were going to do a California front squat(arms crossed), your legs will actually be slightly behind the weight, raise up as high as possible, I did these with weight/band the other day and it worked well. When I first starting lifting I had big thighs and no calves(sticks) some girl in the gym made fun of them and that was all she wrote, I commenced to beat the living hell out of them the next few years, got them up to 19 1/4 at one point, and mind you I have higher calves, they became my favorite muscle to work..if you want big calves and don't have them genetically. Get ready cause here comes the pain! Learn to love it!

red crayon
12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Dont forget donkey calf raises. Maybe some of you are like me, I just couldnt get used to someone sitting on my back and it looks gay. so I use the same belt that others use for weighted dips. I also do high, 20 plus, and low, 6 to 8, reps. Going to failure is a must. I get the best results from the rest pause technique. Go to failure, lower the weight, wait about 25-30 seconds and do it again. Keep going until you fail with no waight. Its a good Idea to vary the speed of the reps.
My wife was a cheer leader in high school and she has great legs in general. If I could get my calfs to be as good as hers I would love it!

kazman68
12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Dont forget donkey calf raises. Maybe some of you are like me, I just couldnt get used to someone sitting on my back and it looks gay. so I use the same belt that others use for weighted dips. I also do high, 20 plus, and low, 6 to 8, reps. Going to failure is a must. I get the best results from the rest pause technique. Go to failure, lower the weight, wait about 25-30 seconds and do it again. Keep going until you fail with no waight. Its a good Idea to vary the speed of the reps.
My wife was a cheer leader in high school and she has great legs in general. If I could get my calfs to be as good as hers I would love it!

Did a lot of Donkey's in my time! Used to have my brother get on my back and do them in the garage, on 'off days' very good exercise.

kazman68
12-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Did a lot of Donkey's in my time! Used to have my brother get on my back and do them in the garage, on 'off days' very good exercise.

P.S. No one ever said shit to me in the gym,people would just look when I did things no one else would, I was there to grow. I was too 'intimating' LOL, used to do them all the time, one gym had a nice donkey machine, wish where I train had one.

AgentYes
12-04-2012, 03:16 AM
High heels ;) dem hooker calves.

Otherwise... mountain dog calves is your best bet, I mean since downhill sprinting is really too risky.

zedhed
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Foshodat Agent! On the babes anyways...

Ironguruera
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
None of the golds by me have a donkey machine! The one that did shut down. Bastards !

I might try that dip belt action

SisterSteel
12-04-2012, 08:48 PM
When I used to bb I would work seated raises to thicken my calves and standing calf exercises to help lengthen them. Also, don't forget to stretch.