PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

chesty
06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Here I am almost 50, I have been lifting longer than most have been alive. I get to the gym religiously, but it has become a struggle, almost daily to do so. I fear getting fat and out of shape so I keep going, even though most days I just don't enjoy it like I used too. That is my dilemma. What should I do. I could transition to doing mostly cardio, and getting into hiking and back to my photography and astronomy.

The main problem, is with work, I just run out of time and energy to do everything I want and I don't want to face the fact that I am just plain getting old. I don't feel old, just tired a lot.

Anyway, the easy answer is to just not lift any more, but we all know I won't accept that.

Flyingfox
06-03-2014, 10:07 PM
It's in your blood, if you stop you WILL regret it. Take a break...switch things up...try things you never have done before....but don't stop ever!

Orange24
06-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Ya switch it up. Work on getting really lean. Only lift when you WANT to, that way it doesn't feel like being controlled by a habit. Enjoy

chesty
06-03-2014, 11:08 PM
That is true about habit. It feels more like an addiction so to speak. May e I'm over Trai ed even though I only left 4 to 5 days of the week or maybe it's just working so much sucks the life out of me.

Encino_Mang
06-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Here I am almost 50, I have been lifting longer than most have been alive. I get to the gym religiously, but it has become a struggle, almost daily to do so. I fear getting fat and out of shape so I keep going, even though most days I just don't enjoy it like I used too. That is my dilemma. What should I do. I could transition to doing mostly cardio, and getting into hiking and back to my photography and astronomy.

The main problem, is with work, I just run out of time and energy to do everything I want and I don't want to face the fact that I am just plain getting old. I don't feel old, just tired a lot.

Anyway, the easy answer is to just not lift any more, but we all know I won't accept that.

I'm right there with you..........I'm exhausted most of the time......it's frustrating.

I think maybe trying something new maybe the answer, I've always did the power lifting thing, now I'm going more for pump sets 10 - 15 reps and I want to drop some body weight mainly because I'm getting older that and I want to see if I have more energy at a lower weight.

I was even thinking of trying to train in a cross fit type of style for a few months at a time just to change things up.

Ironguruera
06-04-2014, 01:45 AM
I agree with the fellas. Try new things mix it up! Adding a PL benching program into my routines really helped keep me going to hit the gym. It was something new and different. Each week I wanted to progress.
Try swimming, hiking, bicycle anything new and different to your norm. Maybe try something u have never tried. Martial arts, boxing.
Diversity with all of life's things keeps it interesting!

NTL
06-04-2014, 01:47 AM
I have been feeling the same lately. I been putting in 60+ hours a week at work and I'm exhausted most the time.I missed a few extra day from the gym and my motivation is down when I am lifting.

mondtster
06-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Just find something that is enjoyable that you look forward to. Hicking sounds great and you definitely make it challenging.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

#1Ronin
06-04-2014, 08:40 AM

Have you had bloodwork done? Idk if u use gear, but it sounds like it COULD be low-T... No Doc & you only mentioned chronic tiredness, idk about our moods libido etc. If u do run gear, idk cause that's my cure all! (Lol-j.k)...

~Ronin.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheChosen1
06-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Chill out, chesty. We're on the same ship.
I just made 52 last week. I've been lifting since 1985, probably before most of the members here lifted their baby bottles on their own...lol Since then, I've had 4 knee surgeries, a rotator cuff repair, a couple of bicep sprangs and rotator cuff tears (without surgeries). Despite that, I continued hitting the gym to induce quicker healings. I've even competed in the American Powerlifting Federation and won a state championship. Now, I'm fighting another knee injury, along with a hamstring sprang.I have found myself getting lazy and wanting to train but not wanting to leave the house. HA! Now all of my friends and family are telling me to give up lifting and evening training at Gold's Gym. But what can I say? As Rob Steward put it, IT'S IN MY HEART AND IT'S IN MY SOUL. I don't want to give up just yet. I will only tuck it aside until I heal well enough to compete (deadlifting). I'm happy to say that when I am training at Gold's, I still have my strength.

chesty
06-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Amen to all said. I am going to take the week off, limit of to 10 hours a week and focus on my photography and hiking while staying at the gym. I want to shed 40 lbs but that is like 25 lbs of muscle, would put me at 190. I think though to make it permanent I would have to give up weights for 6 months cause as long as I sling the weight the muscle stays. It is in my blood so I won't quit. Like chosen I have had tons of surgery, last count I'm at 14 and counting.

I had blood work, been on the for 6 months now. I have sleep apnea and I am pretty sure my machine is shot so getting good appt at sleep doc to look at a more permanent fix.

zedhed
06-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Right there with you bro. Circumstances a lil bit diff for me, but I know exactly hoe your feeling. I have not fully decided but am rhinking that I may just make most of my workoit Dead Lift sessions and maybe add in swuats if my crap ones allow for that. That would be like for 2 days per week. On day 3 do a.whole bod routine. Keep the cardio and diet in place. Actually there could be a lot said for that kind of routine for the summer. I really dont wanna quit, really has not entered my mind. Just trying to come up with something I wanna do and know that I can stick with. Just thinking out loud and babbeling along. Take it for what its worth I guess. Let us know what you decide and beast of luck.bro.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk 2

mj_0360
06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I was over-trained and tired all the time just 3 weeks ago. I took a week and a half off while on my honeymoon and now I feel back to normal. I was hitting the gym 6 days a week for months and putting in serious work when I was there. It was nice to just chill and not worry about making time to get my workout in.

red crayon
06-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I have been there too. Im currently working between 50 and about 70 hours a week. Anyway I carry a timer with me when I go to the gym. I work out 3 days on and one day off when the timer says one hour I finish that exercise and quit. I believe that where there is a will there is a way! I started working out in 1980 and have been doing it ever since. Im 54 right now. I havent always lifted free weights but I have always done something, running, machines, etc.