PDA

View Full Version : Religion

Orange24
07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I have no idea why I wanted to start this thread but feel free to express your faith here!

Lunchbox
07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I have no idea why I wanted to start this thread but feel free to express your faith here!

I seem to get quite religious when playing the lottery or paying my taxes. :)

Orange24
07-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Haha great ice breaker

Oldschooliron
07-09-2012, 11:40 PM
I seem to get quite religious when playing the lottery or paying my taxes. :)

Lol!!

exphys88
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Science minded atheist here.

Orange24
07-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Any others?

Whiskey
07-10-2012, 05:39 PM
In the same boat as exphys88

Whiskey

cane
07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
i am not very religious to be honest.. sorry

Ecto
07-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm a Christian fellow, sometimes I may not act very Christianally, but I do what I can. I don't judge, people need to be what they want to be or not to be.

Orange24
07-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Im with ya ecto.

PJ1127
07-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I was raised in a catholic household but.... I lost faith years ago. I really don't believe that there is a higher power.

Rayca
07-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Atheist here too.

jaytat
07-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I was raised in Italian strict catholic house lol catholic schools till i was a senior in high school and changed to public school. I am still catholic... Part time.. I go on Christmas, Easter, and any other holiday.

newNimproved
07-27-2012, 07:05 PM
WASP here, lutheran

ozzie90
07-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Atheist here.

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Atheist here.

good luck in hell:D

ozzie90
07-28-2012, 05:57 AM
I've always been kind of a warm weather guy

deathdodger
07-28-2012, 08:44 AM
I believe in a higher power.

exphys88
07-28-2012, 10:27 AM
good luck in hell:D

A person of another faith would say the same thing to you

chrisotpherm
07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I believe in God and my faith has helped me through the toughest parts in my life.

exphys88
07-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I believe in God and my faith has helped me through the toughest parts in my life.

And, you're the kind of person Jesus and Buddha recommended us to be.

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 10:44 AM
A person of another faith would say the same thing to you

well he doesnt believe in anything, so that makes him a waste of human life. ungrateful for his creation. no matter the faith, you always have to give thanks for your being. i was raised in the church and sorta strayed for a while, but im back in the saddle now. i dont look down on any faith, but atleast have some.

exphys88
07-28-2012, 11:45 AM
well he doesnt believe in anything, so that makes him a waste of human life. ungrateful for his creation. no matter the faith, you always have to give thanks for your being. i was raised in the church and sorta strayed for a while, but im back in the saddle now. i dont look down on any faith, but atleast have some.

First, you're making an assumption about being created, especially since there is overwhelming evidence that we evolved and were not created.

Secondly, you're assuming that us atheists are not grateful for our lives, when in fact most of us are very happy to have life and we live it to the fullest, knowing that this is all we get.

Thirdly, you value faith, which is actually something we should despise. Believing in something without evidence is ignorant. Sept. 11th is the result of faith. It happened because those muslims had faith that when they died as martyrs they would be rewarded in heaven. If they had used reason and critical thinking they would have realized that since nobody has ever seen nor have any proof of heaven, there is no point or benefit in believing that such a place actually exists. Jim Jones and the suicide of his followers and the murdering of their children is also the result of faith. Instead of valuing faith, we should encourage skepticism and logic.

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 12:02 PM
First, you're making an assumption about being created, especially since there is overwhelming evidence that we evolved and were not created.

Secondly, you're assuming that us atheists are not grateful for our lives, when in fact most of us are very happy to have life and we live it to the fullest, knowing that this is all we get.

Thirdly, you value faith, which is actually something we should despise. Believing in something without evidence is ignorant. Sept. 11th is the result of faith. It happened because those muslims had faith that when they died as martyrs they would be rewarded in heaven. If they had used reason and critical thinking they would have realized that since nobody has ever seen nor have any proof of heaven, there is no point or benefit in believing that such a place actually exists. Jim Jones and the suicide of his followers and the murdering of their children is also the result of faith. Instead of valuing faith, we should encourage skepticism and logic.

well we will agree to disagree. this is why its never good to talk about ones religion. we were all raised differently. i was created by my mom and dad, and i give thanks to them. because of evolution we evolved over time, into the humans we are today.

i love the fact that as humans, we have a right to believe and live for whatever our hearts content. some people believe in multiple higher powers, some believe in one. t

when you speak of sept 11, they believe in their faith, but it was extreme.

exphys88
07-28-2012, 12:48 PM
well we will agree to disagree. this is why its never good to talk about ones religion. we were all raised differently. i was created by my mom and dad, and i give thanks to them. because of evolution we evolved over time, into the humans we are today.

i love the fact that as humans, we have a right to believe and live for whatever our hearts content. some people believe in multiple higher powers, some believe in one. t

when you speak of sept 11, they believe in their faith, but it was extreme.

Agreed. I'm very happy to live in a western society where I can freely state my opinions and not worry about being harmed.

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Agreed. I'm very happy to live in a western society where I can freely state my opinions and not worry about being harmed.

well im from the happiest country in the world, and i still think the states suck, lol

exphys88
07-28-2012, 02:30 PM
well im from the happiest country in the world, and i still think the states suck, lol

lol, that's why I said a western society. Many Americans arrogantly believe that the US is the best nation there is, but it's nothing more than arrogance.

Fit Guru
07-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I would rather believe in God and be right, than not to believe and be wrong!!

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 02:44 PM
lol, that's why I said a western society. Many Americans arrogantly believe that the US is the best nation there is, but it's nothing more than arrogance.

agreed dude, they all think this is a great country, when really its falling apart. give it 20 years and we will be china and russia, COMMUNIST. you will see it because no one wants to go get an education and progress. when you educate yourself, you see many different viewpoints and ways of living. you realize there isnt just one RIGHT way to live, only what may fit your style.

i personally dont get along with uneducated idiots who have one way of thinking. then they sit back with a minimum wage job saying they are happy when really they are lazy fucks

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 02:44 PM

amen brother..........

i will fear no evil.....

Orange24
07-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I started this thread for fun and openness, that people would feel free to be here, like I do. No bashing, arguing or making your faith look like it supersedes anyone elses belief.

exphys88
07-28-2012, 05:20 PM

What if you believe in the wrong god?

You're argument is the argument that every faith uses. the problem is that there are many different gods, religions and faiths that have come and gone, which means that the statistical likelihood that you believe in the correct god is very small.

It's referred to as Pascals wager and is completely flawed because believing because of fear of hell is not belief at all.

Here is some good info on it:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager#section_4

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 05:43 PM
there is no right or wrong dude. we all come from different backgrounds.

chrisotpherm
07-28-2012, 05:56 PM
And, you're the kind of person Jesus and Buddha recommended us to be.

I knew you would chime in brother.

You know what I feel the biggest problem for us Christians is there so many acclaimed Christians is they star out on fire for God, then endure an emotional event, back slide in front of all they witnessed too and then justify their fall and shows the world a weak God because of weak Christians. Some live the same type life they live before they got "saved" and why do I need God or a religion when they see no change in the above saved and want nothing to do with God. It is ever so frustrating to see these Luke warm Christians and when those who are truly walk the walk try and show Christ like love, they want nothing to do with as their previous experiences with the many other hypocrites. I never judge as I don't have that right, just help every chance I get, love people for who they are no matter where they are at in their lives and always aware of my short comings to keep me humble to be a friend to anyone.

Orange24
07-28-2012, 06:15 PM

You know what I feel the biggest problem for us Christians is there so many acclaimed Christians is they star out on fire for God, then endure an emotional event, back slide in front of all they witnessed too and then justify their fall and shows the world a weak God because of weak Christians. Some live the same type life they live before they got "saved" and why do I need God or a religion when they see no change in the above saved and want nothing to do with God. It is ever so frustrating to see these Luke warm Christians and when those who are truly walk the walk try and show Christ like love, they want nothing to do with as their previous experiences with the many other hypocrites. I never judge as I don't have that right, just help every chance I get, love people for who they are no matter where they are at in their lives and always aware of my short comings to keep me humble to be a friend to anyone.

Yup, nailed it

newNimproved
07-28-2012, 06:33 PM

not to question your statement, but you do realize you have an online steroid pharmacy in your signature while you type this right?

exphys88
07-28-2012, 07:51 PM
not to question your statement, but you do realize you have an online steroid pharmacy in your signature while you type this right?

Maybe I shouldn't answer for Christopher, but it's obvious to many that there is nothing morally wrong w using gear, it's a personal choice much like whether we want to be marathon runners or not.

Christopher and I completely disagree on the origins of humans and the existence of a god, but he has always been a genuinely good member on these forums and he seems to do a good job at following the parts of the bible that preach morality... and of course ignoring the atrocious things that it teaches.

chrisotpherm
07-29-2012, 09:25 AM

LOL. Do you speed, do you lie, do you always think good thoughts when a gorgeous woman walks by? Of course not. Is it a sin, yep, why because laws put in place by government, because we were raised not to lie or disrespect women, but we still do it. Why, because we are men and women raised up in a world full of law breakers and self center wants. I see absolutely nothing wrong with AAS nor do "I" believe that there is anything wrong with marijuana, but I do have a problem with guys that over drink and beat on women or others, those who smoke themselves to death and live behind the ones that loved them more than life itself, do I judge them absolutely not as I am not God. Do I believe if they make right with God before they do they will go to heaven, yes because Christ didn't put out a timeline to make right with him, only believe and you will be saved. Do I think child molesters, murders and rappers can do the same thing, yes, as God judges us all the same and sin is sin, it is us humans that have a chart of what is worse when in reality there is no such thing you will find in the bible like this. Back to my stance on AAS use how does it harm my body, how does it affect my morality, how does it hurt my family or disrespect God? IMO it doesn't, does a government put laws and am I not suppose to respect the law of the land? Yes, but I do speed, have lied, have ran stop signs, have even stole in my younger adolescent years, but I confess my sins and know that God does forgive me. I don't take for granted the beauty of salvation of which God through Jesus Christ has given me and do the best I can every day I wake up to live as Christ would. That is never judge, spend time with those who the "world" has out cast, look after orphans and widows, and help my brothers and sisters around me in any way I can. Everyone can throw rocks from a glass house but I keep my window open when I make a mistake and throw one. All I am saying is we can always find reason to blame a man or woman for us not believing in God, but on day of judgement we all will stand alone and there will be no one to blame but ourselves for not making the personal decision to believe no matter what happened or experience during this life time.

chrisotpherm
07-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I am going to share my experiences in life to confirm more about what I said.

I was molested from the time I was 4yrs old till 8yrs old, severely hurt by church going members when I was in my teenager years, I lost my brother to aids when I was 19, lost 3 really good friends to drugs, lost my grandfather who I loved like my father when I was deployed, watched my beautiful wife who has all her life lived an honest one go through cancer with faith and come out on top, recently hurt by a church leader that would probably have devastated a new upcoming christian and many bumps along the way with my own character. Still I love God and don't question why did poor pitiful me have to endure these hardships? No they made me pray harder, trust in faith more, and keeps making me stronger as I know that this life isn't my permanent resting place and God seemed it fit for me to go through these things in life to keep me close to him and for me to be able to help someone who is not as seasoned if you will as I am to make it out of these dark points. So you see Christianity has nothing and I mean nothing to do with those around you, but your own personal decision to keep on believing, growing strong in the Lord and letting nothing or no one stand in the way of eternal salvation. It's up to you and only hope that I will see you on that day happy and filled with the piece that has kept me alive many times over.

I also felled to mention that when I was 10yrs old had to endure my uncle committing suicide and watching my father who loved his brother so much hurt in anguish keep believing in God through it all.

exphys88
07-29-2012, 09:58 AM
LOL. Do you speed, do you lie, do you always think good thoughts when a gorgeous woman walks by? Of course not. Is it a sin, yep, why because laws put in place by government, because we were raised not to lie or disrespect women, but we still do it. Why, because we are men and women raised up in a world full of law breakers and self center wants. I see absolutely nothing wrong with AAS nor do "I" believe that there is anything wrong with marijuana, but I do have a problem with guys that over drink and beat on women or others, those who smoke themselves to death and live behind the ones that loved them more than life itself, do I judge them absolutely not as I am not God. Do I believe if they make right with God before they do they will go to heaven, yes because Christ didn't put out a timeline to make right with him, only believe and you will be saved. Do I think child molesters, murders and rappers can do the same thing, yes, as God judges us all the same and sin is sin, it is us humans that have a chart of what is worse when in reality there is no such thing you will find in the bible like this. Back to my stance on AAS use how does it harm my body, how does it affect my morality, how does it hurt my family or disrespect God? IMO it doesn't, does a government put laws and am I not suppose to respect the law of the land? Yes, but I do speed, have lied, have ran stop signs, have even stole in my younger adolescent years, but I confess my sins and know that God does forgive me. I don't take for granted the beauty of salvation of which God through Jesus Christ has given me and do the best I can every day I wake up to live as Christ would. That is never judge, spend time with those who the "world" has out cast, look after orphans and widows, and help my brothers and sisters around me in any way I can. Everyone can throw rocks from a glass house but I keep my window open when I make a mistake and throw one. All I am saying is we can always find reason to blame a man or woman for us not believing in God, but on day of judgement we all will stand alone and there will be no one to blame but ourselves for not making the personal decision to believe no matter what happened or experience during this life time.

I get all sorts of crazy ideas about gorgeous women while on cycle... Just sayin

Nelson303
07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Agnostic. Cause who really knows.

chrisotpherm
07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I get all sorts of crazy ideas about gorgeous women while on cycle... Just sayin
Yes tren is the devil sometimes. LOL.

chrisotpherm
07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Orange your pm box storage is to full for me to respond bud!

newNimproved
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
man thats some deep ish chris.......im speechless

Fit Guru
07-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Exphy, did I say which God? Also I never mentioned Hell. Just bustin balls but....

chrisotpherm
07-29-2012, 12:50 PM
man thats some deep ish chris.......im speechless

Yeah man, been there, done that and still have a heart full of love for everyone.

exphys88
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Exphy, did I say which God? Also I never mentioned Hell. Just bustin balls but....

You eluded to hell or the consequences of not believing, and it doesn't matter which god, it's still very unlikely it's the correct one, assuming there is actually a god, gods or flying spaghetti monsters.

I'm not trying to argue, I was just pointing out that your statement is known as Pascals wager and has been criticized for centuries by philosophers and scientists as a empty argument.

Fit Guru
07-29-2012, 02:32 PM
I guess that's where me and you differ? It wasn't an argument it was just a statement and my own beliefs.

lileight
07-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Chris, I respect you for laying it all out there like you did. Seems we have a lot in common. I'll have to pm you when I have time. And yes I am a christian to.

Manny1983
07-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Scientology

newNimproved
07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Scientology

lol...........tom is that you? :)

Manny1983
07-29-2012, 09:58 PM
lol...........tom is that you? :)

I'm the ghost of Isaac Hayes

Manny1983
07-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Double post

newNimproved
07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
lol! how are you mexican but the ghost of isaac hayes? :)

Manny1983
07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
lol! how are you mexican but the ghost of isaac hayes? :)

I was possessed and am now blaxican lol

newNimproved
07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I was possessed and am now blaxican lol

ahhahahahhaha!

u from southside chi town?

Manny1983
07-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Originally south side yeah.

newNimproved
07-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Originally south side yeah.