PDA

View Full Version : Easy Peasy Potato Salad

Rayca
07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
4 Red Potatoes
2 Hardboiled eggs (or Egg whites for those on cutting/fat loss diets)
2-3 Large green onions (chopped)
1 Sm. jar pimientos
1 sm. jar sliced olives
Mayo – (For those on cutting/fat loss diets, use some vinegar and a small amount of olive oil)
Vinegar

Place red potatoes in pot with enough water to completely cover potatoes. Cover and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 mins. or until fork tender. Drain, cool and cut in bite-sized cubes. Add 1T or so vinegar to coat potatoes and cool completely (refrigerate for 10 mins. or so). Remove from frig., cut up eggs and onions and dump everything in bowl, except for mayo. Refrigerate a couple of hours before eating.

This is a great side for burgers, outdoor BBQs, picnics, etc. It’s a good dish to bring w/you to parties (Super Bowl anyone?). Enjoy!

As a side note, have you ever seen the list of ingredients on the label of a mayonnaise jar? It’s thicker than a porterhouse steak. Mayo is quite easy to make and for those of you who are adventurous in the kitchen, here’s how you do it:

1 egg yolk
3/4 c. vegetable oil (canola or something lite. NOT olive oil. It’s way too strong.)

You must have a food processor or a food processor speed on your blender. You can also use a hand mixer at the highest setting. That’s fine. –Dump the yolk in the processor and blast it. It will stick to the bottom and you’ll think nothing’s happening. Slowly and I mean slowly drizzle the oil into the spout. A steady, slow stream is what you’re looking for. About half way through the process it will just thicken up instantly. Then you can just pour the rest of the oil in a little faster. You don’t have to be careful, at that point. Bada bing, bada boom. You have mayo, just like store bought w/out all the chemicals. You can dress up mayo w/herbs, spices, mustard.

Enjoy!

Adlondd
08-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Well i love, this recipe. I have made, so many types of potato salads but this one may be the good. This is the second time, i have not used some kind of pickle in potato salad but it really did not seem to matter. The garlic, was also a first. I always microwave, the potatoes and peel and cut them when cool. It is very much easier that way.