PDA

View Full Version : Does money matter?

Ironguruera
11-23-2016, 03:34 PM
So as some of u know I moved jobs in July of this year. No longer an assistant manager. I just do my job, punch the clock and life is stress free now! I'm 5 minutes from home now. I go home all the time and play with my 1 yr old or other kids if they are not at school. It's been super nice seeing my kids and family so easily now. I also get off at 6pm so I can go home and help my wife with bedtime now. My wife said she loves my new job location and noted how stress free I am now.

Long story short an old co-worker is a manager in town at another store and wants me to work for him. I've worked with him before but he was not my manager back then.

He offered me $1-$2k more a month......said think about it over the holidays and if I'm interested we can meet after then holidays.

I dunno while $2k a month is a lot I will have to drive across town again.....while I would be able to financially provide more for my family I won't be there in person as a true father.

My heart says pass ....but the financial side of me says that money's sure would make sending my 3 kids to college and buying them cars way easier!

However we are almost done with refinancing our house which will put us in a great financial spot. My car has been paid off so once this is done our only debt will be the mortgage and my wife's car.....

NTL
11-23-2016, 06:35 PM
I have one of those jobs that requires lots of hours every week. I have missed so much of my kids life growing up. It truly is not worth it. My family doesn't want for anything but I'm rarely with them. I will retire with millions but I will have missed too much. It's the path I have chosen but not the best one. Spend the time with your family.

xdude
11-23-2016, 07:23 PM
last time I checked , the IRS says 40 cents a mile , this number is fought over by teams accounts, for and against .ie pretty accurate. includes insurance ,wear and tear , and gas. factor in that cost and it is 5 days a week back and forth
how much and hour is your time worth factor in that cost, ( how much time are you loosing)
then factor in extra taxes for the higher income

$1k/month is roughly $225 a week ( 30 day month) . subtract 35% taxes you are at about $150
( remember this is a marginal rate , so you are at you highest rate in your "raise")
cross town is what 50 miles round trip, 250 a week and that is another $100
you are down to $50-$70 take home.

an hour each way you are talking 5-7 bucks and hour to drive across town is that worth it to you.

I had to explain this to my sister , because she felt bad about loosing a job she was working around the clock with .And driving 70 miles a day.
She was upset about not making as much money, but in the end she was stressed out and it was ruining her health .all for what . she got a job around the block and loved it.

My $.02 , do the math and make sure it is worth it .

Ironguruera
11-23-2016, 07:54 PM
I have one of those jobs that requires lots of hours every week. I have missed so much of my kids life growing up. It truly is not worth it. My family doesn't want for anything but I'm rarely with them. I will retire with millions but I will have missed too much. It's the path I have chosen but not the best one. Spend the time with your family.

This hits home for me. My dad had no choice but to work his ass off to provide for a family of 5 kids and a stay at home wife for most of my upbringing. He was always working trying to provide for us. Yet I can't help but think if he was home more and spend more time with some of my younger sisters they would have made better life choices. He was never at any of our school events etc.

I feel I'm a father and family man now and to truly be the father I want to be ....I should stay put.

I haven't been this stress free in a long long time. My boss values me as an employee and really takes care of me. He let me leave to get my kids from school mid day once. Dog ran away he let me go find him. I wanted to buy a gun yesterday he said go get it man! It's almost abstract to me because my old boss was such a cunt to me.

PudgieRaubach
11-23-2016, 10:26 PM
The most important thing we have is time.

I think if you thought making more $ was best, you wouldn't have asked us.

I'm chasing money and I'm not happy. If I could trade that and know we would get by, I would do it.

MuscleAddiction
11-23-2016, 10:53 PM
No more chasing money brother, I believe you already have the answer in your heart, you just want confirmation from us...be that father and husband you need to be. God will always provide for you.

Happy Thanksgiving Iggy!

Ironguruera
11-24-2016, 12:51 AM
Thank you guys! You are right MA I know the answer...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being foolish.

This is my baby. She literally does this almost every time she sees me. It's impossible to not turn any mood I was having totally around when I see her!

Working across town I literally barely saw her awake except on the weekends. Nothing is worth not seeing her beautiful smile and face as much as I get to now.

Ironguruera
11-24-2016, 12:52 AM
And happy thanksgiving brothers! I am thankful I have you all !

baby1
11-24-2016, 11:51 AM
I didn't read what others said but I am a big believer in following your heart. The quality time is more important than money.

Layddually2
11-24-2016, 11:55 AM
If You remember how much I use to work take it from me. If you do not need the extra money don't take the job. That job I thought I was not getting just called yesterday and offered $65k it's way less hours and less stress and close to home. It's also less than half of what I use to make. In my opinion it will be so worth it.

Ironguruera
11-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Thank you for reassuring me everyone.
One of my good customers sadly had a tragic near drowning accident with his son recently. I didn't know what had happened for a while until he opened up one day when I asked if he was okay. He said " I've realized everything in the world that matters most I already had and it was free...all the money in the world cant fix my son and I would give it all to do so! Focus on your family as that's all that matters".

He used to always work late trying to make his business grow. Now he leaves early to go see his son and put him to bed.

Jobs come and go but family lasts a lifetime.

baby1
11-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Tragedy can open eyes, it opened mine. Money cannot buy happiness and I always say its overated but money never mattered to me...even in my younger years. I think you already had your answer but maybe needed others' perspective? You will have no regrets:)

Vicious 13
11-25-2016, 09:09 AM
I guess I'll be unpopular in this thread. I don't care what anyone says money matters. I just got off a job where I was leaving my house at 5 and getting home at 7. Big part of why I haven't been around here much. I knew the job wasn't going to be forever and it opened up several opportunities for me. Don't get me wrong, I spend as much time w my kids as possible. Give them baths put them to sleep at night. My kids love me more than anything and it shows. People comment on it all the time. The money that im making is for them. It's not for me. It's allowed me to buy a bitchin boat and an awesome lake house in Arizona. I spend a lot of time there and the kids have so much fun it's awesome. We live in a word today where cash is king. I want to give my kids everything I can and it's my job to do that. My kids will be taught that this is a tough world but you can have whatever you want if you are willing to work for it. I'm not educated only a high school diploma. I made a lot of choices in left that led me to the path I'm on. I started as an apprentice in the carpenters union and I've clawed my way to a foreman position running the job at Disneyland. I've been putting in 60 hours a week and although I'm sacrificing some time right now it will pay off in the end. My wife understands that. She drives around in a brand new suburban and knows what I have to do to make that happen. She also work a ton of hours. We have a nanny going the chemo so she lives w us now. She's 23. It's basically like we adopted her. That's a whole different story though. I've taken her in because I feel God places is in each other's lives for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicious 13
11-25-2016, 09:12 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/6c167b377bbc44c0ffea6202dbc7002a.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/e95026b5a0c21f802dc86d8aedc32173.jpg. Although I get why people say it. I've never bought into the money can't buy happiness thing.

baby1
11-25-2016, 11:24 AM
I guess I'll be unpopular in this thread. I don't care what anyone says money matters. I just got off a job where I was leaving my house at 5 and getting home at 7. Big part of why I haven't been around here much. I knew the job wasn't going to be forever and it opened up several opportunities for me. Don't get me wrong, I spend as much time w my kids as possible. Give them baths put them to sleep at night. My kids love me more than anything and it shows. People comment on it all the time. The money that im making is for them. It's not for me. It's allowed me to buy a bitchin boat and an awesome lake house in Arizona. I spend a lot of time there and the kids have so much fun it's awesome. We live in a word today where cash is king. I want to give my kids everything I can and it's my job to do that. My kids will be taught that this is a tough world but you can have whatever you want if you are willing to work for it. I'm not educated only a high school diploma. I made a lot of choices in left that led me to the path I'm on. I started as an apprentice in the carpenters union and I've clawed my way to a foreman position running the job at Disneyland. I've been putting in 60 hours a week and although I'm sacrificing some time right now it will pay off in the end. My wife understands that. She drives around in a brand new suburban and knows what I have to do to make that happen. She also work a ton of hours. We have a nanny going the chemo so she lives w us now. She's 23. It's basically like we adopted her. That's a whole different story though. I've taken her in because I feel God places is in each other's lives for a reason.

Thanks Vicious. I always love others' perspectives on things. I think if you are a generally content person, than, 'yes" money is a good thing. Now there are many people that turn to 'things" in hopes of fulfilling a void, or maybe healing pain, only to find that it is just a short lived fulfillment of happiness. Sounds like you are in a great place and this is a great thing!

Vicious 13
11-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks Vicious. I always love others' perspectives on things. I think if you are a generally content person, than, 'yes" money is a good thing. Now there are many people that turn to 'things" in hopes of fulfilling a void, or maybe healing pain, only to find that it is just a short lived fulfillment of happiness. Sounds like you are in a great place and this is a great thing!

I think you're right. It's a fine line. There are things money could not replace like my boys. But money does help in a sense that I can give them a lot of experiences I couldn't without money. Money is not everything for sure but in today's world it helps to have.especially with the price of things these days. I live in cali and it's sad that many people my age can't buy homes and love check to check. It's pretty rough now a days. And we still live better than most the world even when we struggle. Growing up we didn't have a lot of nice things and I never want to tell my kids they can't do something because I can't afford it

baby1
11-25-2016, 11:55 AM
I think you're right. It's a fine line. There are things money could not replace like my boys. But money does help in a sense that I can give them a lot of experiences I couldn't without money. Money is not everything for sure but in today's world it helps to have.especially with the price of things these days. I live in cali and it's sad that many people my age can't buy homes and love check to check. It's pretty rough now a days. And we still live better than most the world even when we struggle. Growing up we didn't have a lot of nice things and I never want to tell my kids they can't do something because I can't afford it

Pretty much the same way my Fuzo thinks. He always wants to give more to our daughter than he had. Its about balance, although we give, when they stop appreciating and expecting...thats where we get back in check. You sound grateful and that is what its about

baby1
11-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Oh and the pool table rocks! Love the wood detail on that table

Vicious 13
11-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Oh and the pool table rocks! Love the wood detail on that table

Thank you. That picture is actually during a team game. It was mom and my brother vs pops and I. It was one of the best weekends I've had in a while. My wife and kids were inside watching movies. That fine line. Money didn't buy the happiness but it helped provide the setting. Man I love Arizona I want out of cali

baby1
11-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Thank you. That picture is actually during a team game. It was mom and my brother vs pops and I. It was one of the best weekends I've had in a while. My wife and kids were inside watching movies. That fine line. Money didn't buy the happiness but it helped provide the setting. Man I love Arizona I want out of cali

You are making great memories. I was the kid hanging with the men in the family shootin pool, with my own stick, and I was pretty damn good,lol

Layddually2
11-25-2016, 05:30 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/6c167b377bbc44c0ffea6202dbc7002a.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/e95026b5a0c21f802dc86d8aedc32173.jpg. Although I get why people say it. I've never bought into the money can't buy happiness thing.

Oh money can buy happiness! But in Iggy case if he doesn't get home till kids are asleep that's sucks I did it for 10yrs. I made great money bought lots of toys as well. But last 5yrs I had zero time with kids. For 3 months straight I worked like this 48 hr in 2 days then slept like 2hrs then did another 20hrs etc etc. would face time kids every night but it's not the same. All the primetein tabs and lack of sleep I eventually lost my mind. I made great money but not worth the time I lost with family. Now back in 2009 I worked like that for 4 months but that was different I knew it was short lived and only 1 kid at home. I bought a custom home on 5 acres, a chopper, sport bike couple of dirt bikes and I had time to enjoy them.

Big Hoss
11-28-2016, 02:01 PM
It all depends upon your needs, wants, and what you're content with. If you're content with the time you get to spend with the wife and kids; then do that, if you're content on chasing that almighty dollar; then do that. It's about what you want in your heart. It's a big balancing act brother. There's no correct answer here...

Slayer
11-28-2016, 03:54 PM
I think you already made a decision IG! I agree!

xdude
11-28-2016, 06:25 PM
I think that money can not buy happiness, it can buy things is a good summation.

after all when you are controlled by your things, then you are un happy.

All I say is make sure it is worth what you are giving up, from the sounds of it you are loosing a lot .
the cash better be pretty good ...and to be honest from the sounds of it is not worth it.

Actually you are making me rethink a few things , right now I work from home, and I do a little stock trading on the side
well the stock trading is getting to the point to where I can almost give up the regular job.
A high up manager at my company is demanding all tech support come into the office ( right now I don't even have one assigned to me)
anyhow if I go into the office that is a 1/2 hour each way, and forget about trading stocks in the office. ( too much yappin)

Right now because I didn't think I made enough trading stocks I have agreed to come in for now, of course I don't have an office and it is not until the first of the year. But looking at my trades, I am really close .I think I could possible do trading full time .( well it is not all day so less that full time.) I think I may force the hand, either let me go and let them wonder if I will file a possible law suit for wrong full dismissal or live me working from home.
ie deal with MF'ers

chesty
11-29-2016, 03:55 AM
Ifbyou can pay your bills save for retirement and jave some extra to do some homg that is all you need. Inused to love my job but heing a lead expected to out perform others and our company going stupidbwith reorganization the money is all that keeps me around because i have tonprovide for my family. I guess what I am saying is as long as you can provide and are happy then no money doesnt matter all that much.

Willis
11-29-2016, 03:58 AM
Bro I was going to give you a long answer, but shit you can text me anytime. hahaha! The short version is, Money DOES matter! Big Hoss pretty much nailed it though. What type of lifestyle do you want to live plays a huge part in it...Im old school where I believe I should be working non stop, and coming from being homeless at 16 with no fam, that fear of ever being in that situation drove me to where I am today...I always set goals..wether it be X in the bank ( and safe), Type of home, vehicles, Type of vacations, etc....I have never settled and dont ever see myself not making new financial goals for myself...Always set the next goal way higher...

Everyone has different outlook on where they are happy financially. I know for a fact I would never ever dreamed that I would be where I am now, which I am very blessed and humbled I have gotten here so far. But I am no where near done killing it, no pun intended, IG knows what I do for one of my companies. hahaha. Also figure out what you want to lay out for the kiddos when they get older, which you got some cute kids bro! For my I never want my kids to ever "need" anything, I want them to be driven and want the world, just never be in a spot where they "need" and I cant provide. With $$$ many doors open, if anyone says different they have no idea what they are talking about...Trust me I have gotten many contracts due to the people I know and live around..But lastly no matter how far you make it never forget where you came from, and always stay true to yourself. Your going to do great brother!

Willis
11-29-2016, 04:03 AM
For you Vicious13....This was in Havasu, dont know if you were out that day..

Vicious 13
11-29-2016, 10:54 AM
For you Vicious13....This was in Havasu, dont know if you were out that day..

Wasn't. I'm on rdp a boating forum and don't think I saw anything posted about it. Dcd m series? Tilt up trailer is sick

xdude
11-29-2016, 03:43 PM
I think every agrees ...you start with the necessities ..house, food ,clothes, healthcare ,retirement...

after that is up to you to judge what you want , and that is a opinion.

personally I would never want a boat .just my idea of success
I don't want a pool, i would rather have a garden, again that is me...

So given a choice of working close to home or traveling an hour each way... well that is Iggy's choice

Big Hoss
11-29-2016, 03:55 PM
I would rather have an unlimited supply of free gear.

MuscleAddiction
11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
"Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income." Ecc 5:10

God provides our family with what we need, time spent with my wife, daughter, family, and doing g what I am passionate about is more important than money. Greed and power is not a good thing.

chesty
11-30-2016, 04:37 AM
"Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income." Ecc 5:10

God provides our family with what we need, time spent with my wife, daughter, family, and doing g what I am passionate about is more important than money. Greed and power is not a good thing.

Very True. My happiest time was with my 2nd wife going to college with my 1 year old son and we were dead broke, yet we always paid rent had food and did things together. it was cool

Vicious 13
11-30-2016, 08:52 AM

All the glory to God. The more I make the more I can give back w a happy heart. He can use that money to carry out His will and spread gospel 👍👍 I was blessed w abilities to do what I do.

baby1
11-30-2016, 09:14 AM
All the glory to God. The more I make the more I can give back w a happy heart. He can use that money to carry out His will and spread gospel ���� I was blessed w abilities to do what I do.

AMEN!!!!

squatpresspull
11-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Very True. My happiest time was with my 2nd wife going to college with my 1 year old son and we were dead broke, yet we always paid rent had food and did things together. it was cool

I always say "I'm broke.", but in reality, I'm not. I mean, not rich by any means and living just over check-to-check. All of our bills are paid, food is bought, and we splurge going out to eat with the boys a few times a month (both of us only get paid once a month). So I don't really think money is what it's hyped up to be. I'm 100% happy with how I'm living and mostly I'm always home with the family.

Big Hoss
11-30-2016, 01:56 PM
All the glory to God. The more I make the more I can give back w a happy heart. He can use that money to carry out His will and spread gospel ���� I was blessed w abilities to do what I do.

Yep.... I second that!

Big Hoss
11-30-2016, 02:04 PM

Yes sir! "For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil." God blesses me and my family and meets our needs. I give all glory and praise to Him. I give my 10% tithe in which we're commanded and then some and in turn it blesses the church and others and enables his word and gospel to be spread throughout.

MuscleAddiction
11-30-2016, 02:11 PM

Amen!!! All the glory to HIm our Father in Heaven...God is my Creator, Jesus is my Savior!!! Focus on what is truly important and you will always be taken care of.

Vicious 13
11-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Amen!!! All the glory to HIm our Father in Heaven...God is my Creator, Jesus is my Savior!!! Focus on what is truly important and you will always be taken care of.

Right. Were in Philippians 4 right now. Cast away your worries. Do you know it's a sin to worry? Do you know America consumes 92% of anxiety meds. 😬

baby1
11-30-2016, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=Vicious 13;110710]Right. Were in Philippians 4 right now. Cast away your worries. Do you know it's a sin to worry? Do you know America consumes 92% of anxiety meds. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

lol I read this and thought it said you were in the Philipines,,lol

Ironguruera
11-30-2016, 02:40 PM
My kids have been wanting to "go to daddy's work" ever since my wife stopped by to sign some refinancing docs. She had Time yesterday so she stopped by. The baby went bananas when she saw me. 5 yr old helped decorate the x mad tree and the 3 yr old punked a few people and caused havoc lol. It was good times and could not have happened if I was far away.

MuscleAddiction
11-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Right. Were in Philippians 4 right now. Cast away your worries. Do you know it's a sin to worry? Do you know America consumes 92% of anxiety meds. 😬

The book of Philippians is one of my favorites, we have been studying it in our Bible study group as well, yeah the anxiety med thing as well as antidepressants is no joke...BIG PHARMA pushing their drugs...they want everyone in the US and world dependent on their drugs.

MuscleAddiction
11-30-2016, 03:28 PM
My kids have been wanting to "go to daddy's work" ever since my wife stopped by to sign some refinancing docs. She had Time yesterday so she stopped by. The baby went bananas when she saw me. 5 yr old helped decorate the x mad tree and the 3 yr old punked a few people and caused havoc lol. It was good times and could not have happened if I was far away.

Nice!!! Making memories!!!

Slayer
11-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Good one Baby!!!

Ironguruera
11-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Nice!!! Making memories!!!

Yeah the 3 yr old hoped in this $300 electric kids car. She setup her stuffed animals to ride along. Then she almost locked herself into the general managers office lmao! "Ok honey time to take this monkey home! ".

Jinko
11-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Chase money when you're young, hopefully when kids arrive you have enough to take step back or live closer to work.

xdude
11-30-2016, 09:10 PM
mongo only pawn in game of life