PDA

View Full Version : 18 yr old suplement help

jaytat
07-25-2012, 08:38 AM
My step-son just turned 18 and played varsity basketball in high school. He is 5'9" 160 pounds lean. Problem i don't want him t aking aas! He works out on regular basis, i gave him workout routine that he follows.
Questions:
What pre workout, weight gainer, protein, post workout and if anything else... I think if i show him some other guys opinion on what supplements are recommended he might listen to one of you guys. He sees me and wants the results i have...... But to young to take any testosterone. Any and all comments will be great and will be passes on to him

Fit Guru
07-25-2012, 10:43 AM
First and foremost he's raging with testosterone if he has no aspirations of playing pro sports he doesn't even need to consider AAS. Main thing for a kid that age is to eat. Eat every 3 hours.dont eat Taco Bell or mcDonalds either. Eat well balanced meals but with a higher number coming from protein. A good whey protein shake 2-3 times a day is great also. Thought I'd chime in before the young guys with no experience( but plenty of message board experience) starts giving you their favorite "whatever" No2-64px or Nitro-kickass or whatever the new fad is this week.

exphys88
07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I agree w fit, protein, good food and hard training is all he needs.

I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but most supplements are placebos.

chrisotpherm
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I agree w fit, protein, good food and hard training is all he needs.

I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but most supplements are placebos.

Ah heck, placebo, what you talking about they do everything for me and I don't even have to workout. Lol. I agree, diet and dedicated training will work wonders, supplements are just an extra something to achieve your goals.

Fit Guru
07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Supplements have their place but their expensive( especially for a teen) and confusing at times. Can also be wasted if taken wrong and I know a lot of veterans that still take supplements wrong.

newNimproved
07-25-2012, 02:53 PM
he just needs to eat and maybe some b vitamins for energy. id stay away from the sports supplements til he is out of puberty.

Bruiser
07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Food
Whey
MultiV
And if you decide... Good ol creatine mono. I think we all cut our teeth on that.

newNimproved
07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Food
Whey
MultiV
And if you decide... Good ol creatine mono. I think we all cut our teeth on that.

agreed, but youngsters dont drink enough water man......prob better to stay away from creatine

Bruiser
07-25-2012, 05:35 PM
agreed, but youngsters dont drink enough water man......prob better to stay away from creatine

That's one way to get them to learn, couple days of creatine squirts will teach them to chug water! Lol.

newNimproved
07-25-2012, 06:12 PM
lol! yeah but i dont want them having kidney failure esp if they play basketball or football and in that heat all practice.

jaytat
07-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Thank you I'm letting him read this please keep post coming more he hears it from guys who been training for years I'm hoping he will listen!

Lunchbox
07-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Work hard young man. You have something that 99% of us on this board wish we still had and that is... Youth!! :)

You can acheive all that you want by doing it naturally. Don't do what I did and wait till I was in my 30's before caring about my health and physique.

Wish you the vest of lick.. Now go hit it hard!

deathdodger
07-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I would get him whey protein, creatine, vitamins, a nitric oxide, antioxidants. Make sure hes eating a good healthy diet and exercising everyday.

newNimproved
07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I would get him whey protein, creatine, vitamins, a nitric oxide, antioxidants. Make sure hes eating a good healthy diet and exercising everyday.

whats up, glad you made it here........back to the topic

yeah its going to help him the longer he stays away from supps, atleast til he is done growing. esp since he is 5'9. since he plays bball, he will need to be over 5'10 at the very least and im hoping he plays PG right? if so def stay away from sports supps and teach him how to eat right and train right. once he has offers or looks, the strength coach will tell him what he needs to succeed in college ball.

Orange24
07-27-2012, 03:22 AM
lol! yeah but i dont want them having kidney failure esp if they play basketball or football and in that heat all practice.a

Should I be concerned about my creating intake? Kidney failure?

newNimproved
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
a

Should I be concerned about my creating intake? Kidney failure?

yes, many athletes over do it, and dont hydrate. whenever you take supps, they will stress your liver and kidneys

Manny1983
07-30-2012, 07:12 PM
He is still at least 7 years away from even considering AAS.

When I was his age I jumped up 20lbs of lean muscle in 4 months (yes I once was lean n mean lol) by just training hard, eating like a horse, creatine mono, whey protien, and bcaa. If he decides to take creatine just make sure to tell him he needs to drink enough water for his piss to stay clear at his weight that should be just about a gallon a day. Also make sure he knows he needs to drink it throughout the day not just chug it or he'll just be in the same boat as not drinking enough.

newNimproved
07-30-2012, 07:47 PM
He is still at least 7 years away from even considering AAS.

When I was his age I jumped up 20lbs of lean muscle in 4 months (yes I once was lean n mean lol) by just training hard, eating like a horse, creatine mono, whey protien, and bcaa. If he decides to take creatine just make sure to tell him he needs to drink enough water for his piss to stay clear at his weight that should be just about a gallon a day. Also make sure he knows he needs to drink it throughout the day not just chug it or he'll just be in the same boat as not drinking enough.

creatine is a salt, so with sodium intake you need an increase in water.

Manny1983
07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
creatine is a salt, so with sodium intake you need an increase in water.

Yeah at his weight though about 1 gallon should be enough water depending on activity level as well of course. You want to drink enough to piss clear but with a tiny hint of color because to much water consumption isn't good either. Like for me rite now without taking creatine I drink 1 1/2 gallon of water including the water during training and that's enough to piss almost totally clear, while Im creatine I need 2 gallons.

I had gone to the hospital before for something (I forget what) and they ended up keeping me for 2 days because they thought my kidneys were failing because my creatinine (yes that's spelled correctly) levels were 3.7 if I remember correctly. I told the doctor I was taking creatine and he said it was probably that but wanted to make sure, my levels came back down under 1 in a couple days. This was at the tail end of 3 months of 10g of creatine a day. Doc said as long as my water consumption is up I'd be fine to keep taking as I had been. He also said most people that have kidney issues due to creatine either already had a pre-existing kidney issue or don't consume enough water.

newNimproved
07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Yeah at his weight though about 1 gallon should be enough water depending on activity level as well of course. You want to drink enough to piss clear but with a tiny hint of color because to much water consumption isn't good either. Like for me rite now without taking creatine I drink 1 1/2 gallon of water including the water during training and that's enough to piss almost totally clear, while Im creatine I need 2 gallons.

I had gone to the hospital before for something (I forget what) and they ended up keeping me for 2 days because they thought my kidneys were failing because my creatinine (yes that's spelled correctly) levels were 3.7 if I remember correctly. I told the doctor I was taking creatine and he said it was probably that but wanted to make sure, my levels came back down under 1 in a couple days. This was at the tail end of 3 months of 10g of creatine a day. Doc said as long as my water consumption is up I'd be fine to keep taking as I had been. He also said most people that have kidney issues due to creatine either already had a pre-existing kidney issue or don't consume enough water.

pretty much man. no matter what pills i take, i always drink tons of water and fluids, esp in summer. i shake my head at youngsters who dont take it seriously.

cane
08-07-2012, 01:55 AM
My step-son just turned 18 and played varsity basketball in high school. He is 5'9" 160 pounds lean. Problem i don't want him t aking aas! He works out on regular basis, i gave him workout routine that he follows.
Questions:
What pre workout, weight gainer, protein, post workout and if anything else... I think if i show him some other guys opinion on what supplements are recommended he might listen to one of you guys. He sees me and wants the results i have...... But to young to take any testosterone. Any and all comments will be great and will be passes on to him

lots of protein, calories and a good workout program is what he needs to grow

helpful supps along the way would be
protein powder
good multi vitamin
creatine
fish oils
^^all above one can get from diet though to be honest