PDA

View Full Version : Best secure email

bdad
08-18-2012, 01:51 AM
What do you guys recommend?

VonEric
08-18-2012, 02:55 AM
Well the most secure thing is to host your own server and have a vpn.. the security issue is that eventually it turns to text.. so if it's encrypted on one side and not the other it doesn't do anygood.. you could pay for a service like securenym.. safemail is ok.. I've heard some things about hushmail that I didn't like. A good pra ctice s to delete all msgs periodically also.. VE

mryar
11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Whenever possible use PGP. (or its open source counterpart, GPG). "Secure" email services only encrypt the web interface (https) , email is always sent plaintext across the internet where anyone can see its full contents.

FBI has been collecting traffic on the internet since something like 1997. They used to use "carnivore," a box they'd put in ISPs that would collect data. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-248762.html

Who knows what they do now. I am SURE it is more encompassing than it was. I wouldn't bet against them collecting almost everything sent, storing it and do what's called "data mining" where they search for key terms like "steroids" etc.

I buy some stuff off silk road, and they really encourage people to use PGP. The process isn't much different than buying steroids (they even sell steroids). From my understanding, only one dealer has ever been busted on SR and that was because he started taking WU instead of bitcoins (cryptographic currency that is untraceable).

Look at it this way, if you send email (from yahoo or hush/safemail or anyone), its like sending a postcard. The sender, recipient, and contents are viewable to anyone who comes in contact with it. PGP is like writing the postcard in a foreign language that noone can read.

I started a thread in another section, I'd definitely give it a read. Basically, don't trust any service. Google, yahoo etc all hand your info over to the DEA and law enforcement without any hesitation. I forget the number but its like 95% requests are fulfilled without any trouble for LEO.

http://www.musclecoalition.com/showthread.php?693-Be-careful-with-email-services-like-hushmail-and-safe-mail

Here is how long yahoo keeps your info (via backups etc) on page 5:
https://www.eff.org/sites/default/files/filenode/social_network/Yahoo_SN_LEG-DOJ.pdf

Also shows how yahoo tailors itself to the law enforcement community. Wonderful isn't it, they hand over your personal emails on a whim to anyone who asks.

mryar
11-14-2012, 02:50 PM
An interesting read...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/11/13/petraeus-broadwell-email/1702057/

Just beware that they say in the article:"Google acknowledges that it does receive requests from government agencies around the world to "provide information about users of our services and products," according to a Google policy statement posted online. The company scrutinizes such request to make sure it complies with local laws, and "may refuse to produce information or try to narrow the request." "The information is there for Google to get, but you just can't ask Google for it," Johanson said. "I believe you'd have to get a subpoena or supply enough information as to why they should give you that documentation."

ABSOLUTE BS. They do not scrutinize for crap, they hand over nearly every request without a second thought. This is just spin so users dont feel violated.

11-14-2012, 07:05 PM
hushmail sucks now

11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
safe-mail.net

kazman68
11-14-2012, 07:58 PM
hushmail sucks now

X2 I use safe-mail myself.

MuscleAddiction
11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
x3 on safe-mail.net

Fuelfan
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Safe-mail here!

Ecto
11-15-2012, 08:58 PM
securenym.net

red crayon
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Just as an example I will share this little story.

In 1982 I was in the Air Force and we had just gotten our computers on the Arc Net (Thats what the internet was called when it first became avaiable). We were searching around to find out what was on it. Back then all the addresses were 7 digit numbers, no www. stuff. We accidently wound up on the main server for Oakland International Air port. We could print out a ticket to anywhere for free. When we realized where we were we shut the computer down. We were there for maybe 3 minutes. The next day (Exactly 24 hours later) 2 FBI agents were at our shop where the computer was located wanting to know who did it. No kidding. We told them what happened and that we were all in on it. We were looking for games. They told us to stop doing that and to never do it again. We agreed and then they left. That was in 1982. Now Its more than 30 years later. I cant even guess what they can do now. I just thought Id pass this little story on from my own personal experience.

gahr
09-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I have found safe-mail to be the best considering its free and reliable

Exerciseordie
09-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Safe-mail

BigBones
09-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Safe-mail
Securenym

NOT gmail or any other mainstream mail. Some do have PGP AND SSL but the fact of the matter is they have opened their kimono to the US Gov many times.

basilio
09-27-2013, 04:50 PM
+1 for Safe-mail

But in the end, it comes down to the end user. Even a "secure" email is can be vulnerable if the user is not careful

chrisotpherm
09-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Countermail is by far the best. Check it out.

bbqlol
10-18-2013, 09:59 PM
safe-mail is my fav

SlevinsBrother
03-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Man I hate to be "that guy" but I feel obligated.
As someone who used to do things that really required anonymity on the net, I can tell you, hands down, you don't want to use safe-mail, hush mail, crypto cloud, etc.
You have two options, period:
Tormail, on the tor network
(Don't bother, pita)

Anonymousspeech.com, pro membership, paid anonymously with a WU transfer or cash in mail.
And then check your anonymousspeech email using a VPN.

Safe-mail and hush will do nothing for you if LE wants your email. Anonymousspeech will.

dmiller
04-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Man I hate to be "that guy" but I feel obligated.
As someone who used to do things that really required anonymity on the net, I can tell you, hands down, you don't want to use safe-mail, hush mail, crypto cloud, etc.
You have two options, period:
Tormail, on the tor network
(Don't bother, pita)

Anonymousspeech.com, pro membership, paid anonymously with a WU transfer or cash in mail.
And then check your anonymousspeech email using a VPN.

Safe-mail and hush will do nothing for you if LE wants your email. Anonymousspeech will.

You are absolutely correct and have valid points regarding safe-mail and hushmail, but i do not view the tor network as the safe-haven for email security as well as privacy. There have been security leaks in tor itself and it has yet to fulfill the image that it presents. Nevertheless, the service is a respectable one but exit nodes can and have been monitored.

For the extremely paranoid (vendors, distributors, remailers, whatever) Emails should not be stored on servers for any longer than necessary. For example, you can run message filters (using programs such as thunderbird) and move all messages to a local folder and then encrypt them (truecrypt for example), and then store them on an encrypted USB. This is a little bit overboard but I consider my privacy and anonymity as the most important things, especially in this type of business.